Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2022, 10:28 AM

72 posts, read 70,256 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, we are currently living in Huntington near the village and really love the area. We have a child and are now thinking about potentially moving up or expanding our house. We bought a starter home not too long ago but are quickly growing out of it.

We have family in south shore Nassau and it feels like there are so many more young families there than in our neighborhood.

Would it be wise to stay in this neighborhood or would it be better to look elsewhere for a young growing family?

I have come across many threads on here regarding Huntington schools as not the best in the area but they are kind of old threads. Has the perception of the district changed ?

Overall we like being by the village and the water, neighbors are great.

Maybe Commack or Northport can be an option ?

We really don’t want to go over 700k with new home. We got kinda lucky right before covid housing market went crazy with a nice house at a great price.

Also another dilemma is having an affordable mortgage Vs trading up for a bigger house.

I do realize 700k won’t get much around here but hoping for some good advice.

Maybe some parts of centerport and Huntington in harborfields ?

Thanks !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2022, 04:48 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Two questions. Is there no way that you could expand your present home? If you like the area, you will safe quite a bit on the closing costs connected to two homes, unless you are planning on renting the current one. You say you have family on the south shore, are you interested in moving closer to them and if so, where are they so we can compare the schools.

Old 02-02-2022, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Two questions. Is there no way that you could expand your present home? If you like the area, you will safe quite a bit on the closing costs connected to two homes, unless you are planning on renting the current one. You say you have family on the south shore, are you interested in moving closer to them and if so, where are they so we can compare the schools.
They are in Massapequa.

We could possibly expand it but before we invest the money we want to know for
Sure if we will be staying long term.

Old 02-03-2022, 06:35 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Speaking strictly on the basis of school districts other than maybe having a more diverse district, Massapequa is head and shoulders above Huntington Schools. Now, Harborfiled's is a great district. It seems to me that it comes down to economics, first and then desire second. I suggested the expansion because it could be a cheaper alternative to a move. That said, the increase in building supplies due to the pandemic supply chain shortages could make it a moot point. I would suggest that you start looking around and seeing what is our there for your current price range. Then if possible, put it on hold for a year and see where we are a year from now. Everything may change by then.

Old 02-03-2022, 07:10 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
I grew up in Huntington "village" (politically it's not a village, although every one calls it that).

It's a great place to grow up. I have friends that stayed and the kids used the public schools and they've done very, very well but you have to keep your foot on the gas in that district. It is an EXTREMELY diverse district in every way. There are kids who live in mansions on the water with pool and tennis court in their yard learning right next to kids off the boat who live in flophouses. That can create some friction...it can also create situations where your kid isn't getting attention in class.

All this said I would 100x rather have grown up in Huntington than Massapequa and working in Mass for 6 years (some of them across from Mass HS) never changed that. I think you are familiar enough with both places to know where you should land, and that is probably your best guide.

Old 02-04-2022, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I grew up in Huntington "village" (politically it's not a village, although every one calls it that).

It's a great place to grow up. I have friends that stayed and the kids used the public schools and they've done very, very well but you have to keep your foot on the gas in that district. It is an EXTREMELY diverse district in every way. There are kids who live in mansions on the water with pool and tennis court in their yard learning right next to kids off the boat who live in flophouses. That can create some friction...it can also create situations where your kid isn't getting attention in class.

All this said I would 100x rather have grown up in Huntington than Massapequa and working in Mass for 6 years (some of them across from Mass HS) never changed that. I think you are familiar enough with both places to know where you should land, and that is probably your best guide.
Thanks for the insight! Lots to consider

Old 02-04-2022, 08:22 AM

855 posts, read 450,232 times
There's probably more young families on the south shore is it's more affordable. I think Huntington is much more attractive and you lucked out getting a house there before prices skyrocketed.

I'd love to sell in the current market. But certainly would not want to turn around and buy in the current market.

My home value has gone up almost 30% over the past couple years but unless I head east it's not gonna get me much more if I sell.

But if you're looking to move outside of the village I work with someone who lives in Greenlawn with three daughters and absolutely loves it. Great schools and walkable neighborhoods.

Old 02-04-2022, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticpearl View Post
There's probably more young families on the south shore is it's more affordable. I think Huntington is much more attractive and you lucked out getting a house there before prices skyrocketed.

I'd love to sell in the current market. But certainly would not want to turn around and buy in the current market.

My home value has gone up almost 30% over the past couple years but unless I head east it's not gonna get me much more if I sell.

But if you're looking to move outside of the village I work with someone who lives in Greenlawn with three daughters and absolutely loves it. Great schools and walkable neighborhoods.

Agree if I wanted to live in the Huntington area I'd look in Greenlawn, you're near everything that makes that area great. Huntington, Greenlawn and Northport all so close. My bff bought in Greenlawn for $175K 30 years ago....sittin' on a gold mine.

Old 02-09-2022, 01:35 PM

Greenlawn is nice thanks for the recommendation. How about the area of Huntington by Dunlop rd that catches harborfields district ( a house just sold on Whitehall recently ) Area looks nice.

Salem ridge area looks really nice but I think way out of our budget.

Old 02-09-2022, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGUY2000 View Post
Greenlawn is nice thanks for the recommendation. How about the area of Huntington by Dunlop rd that catches harborfields district ( a house just sold on Whitehall recently ) Area looks nice.

Salem ridge area looks really nice but I think way out of our budget.
Very nice area. One of my faves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island