Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2021, 08:46 PM

246 posts, read 471,514 times

Advertisements

We lay out over $200 a month for phone/internet and cable w Optimum/Altice For one cable box. And now with netflix, Apple TV and Amazon Prime, lots of access to movies and we stream off the tv.

As I scroll through a little over 200 channels on Optimum, looking for something to watch, I get annoyed with spending all this $$ to “flip through channels” looking for stuff to watch.

Pretty soon we are having major work done on our home and will have to move out a few months. Optimum wants to charge us $30 to hold the account open through we won’t use it. I’m about to just call it quits and stream our TV needs.

I know there are old threads, detailing is Verizon or canlevision is better. But at this point, I guess we just need WiFi/internet. Could anyone here just only streaming describe their experiences? Do you just pay for internet and stream shows and movies? I can see us streaming Discovery as well as occasional sports. Any thing else we should know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2021, 05:26 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,414,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiberiusP View Post
We lay out over $200 a month for phone/internet and cable w Optimum/Altice For one cable box. And now with netflix, Apple TV and Amazon Prime, lots of access to movies and we stream off the tv.

As I scroll through a little over 200 channels on Optimum, looking for something to watch, I get annoyed with spending all this $$ to “flip through channels” looking for stuff to watch.

Pretty soon we are having major work done on our home and will have to move out a few months. Optimum wants to charge us $30 to hold the account open through we won’t use it. I’m about to just call it quits and stream our TV needs.

I know there are old threads, detailing is Verizon or canlevision is better. But at this point, I guess we just need WiFi/internet. Could anyone here just only streaming describe their experiences? Do you just pay for internet and stream shows and movies? I can see us streaming Discovery as well as occasional sports. Any thing else we should know?
Just streaming isn't all that great. They are all in it together, to F us. You need almost every streaming service to get the channels you want, so your not saving much. Especially when it comes to sports.

Old 01-29-2021, 05:35 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,285,788 times
I did it, and I might not be saving a lot of money - but I have a lot of flexibility.

I already had Amazon Prime.
I get Netflix free with T-Mobile
I get HBO Max free with AT&T fiber ($80 a month for gigabit)

I pay for Hulu TV Live with pretty much all the add ons ($90)
I pay for Apple TV+ as part of Apple One

So with what you already have you could probably get Hulu TV Live (around $60 a month).

I agree that depending how sports-focused you are you might need more packages.

What I like is zero lock in and I don’t get charged rental charges for cable boxes. I switched streamers once already.

Old 01-29-2021, 05:54 AM

85 posts, read 87,381 times
We have Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu and Youtube TV with the sports add on. When you factor in internet costs, we aren't saving any money, but not having cables running all over the house is nice. I doubt we would go back.

Old 01-29-2021, 06:53 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,830,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriny View Post
We have Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu and Youtube TV with the sports add on. When you factor in internet costs, we aren't saving any money, but not having cables running all over the house is nice. I doubt we would go back.
Similar story. Didn't save money but ditched set top boxes and extra remotes and my internet is faster. Fubo TV is doing fine and is $20 less/mo than ATT, the only other streamer with MSG networks (Rangers, Islanders, Knicks, Nets).

Oh, Fubo tip: If you take the cheapest package, when you go to your cart, you'll be able to pay (committ) quarterly rather than monthly. For this they upgrade to the top tv package and throw in 1000 hours cloud DVR. Might be a current promo so YMMV.

Old 01-29-2021, 06:58 AM

732 posts, read 886,769 times
Nice thing about Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, Youtube TV, etc is that you can share with people you trust. I set up their devices we share the cost.

I have Fios 300/300 which is $40 a month.
It's cheaper if you have unlimited verizon phone plan and/or health care worker

Last edited by ubering; 01-29-2021 at 07:15 AM..

Old 01-29-2021, 07:08 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,830,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubering View Post
Nice thing about Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, Youtube TV, etc is that you can share with people you trust. I set up their devices we share the cost.

I am forced to share with my wife and son. I don't trust them but it is what it is.

Old 01-29-2021, 07:35 AM

246 posts, read 471,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
Just streaming isn't all that great. They are all in it together, to F us. You need almost every streaming service to get the channels you want, so your not saving much. Especially when it comes to sports.
If it comes down to being a wash, Im not too worried about savings. Its more the principle of paying for something that is just not utilized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loriny View Post
I appreciate that. So you just have one internet bill? And is it Verizon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubering View Post

It's cheaper if you have unlimited verizon phone plan and/or health care worker
For 300/300 a month, you are using Amazon prime, hulu, & netflix?

Coincidentally, I just opened a Verizon Fios account for my office as a backup to my Optimum cable. And I am in healthcare. SO I'll have to look into that. Thank you.

Old 01-29-2021, 07:45 AM

9,209 posts, read 6,259,406 times
I tried streaming only for several months. Didn't like it and signed up for cable.

I found it annoying to enter and leave the various streaming services to watch something. If you definitely know you want to watch a particular show on Netflix, that's easy. You open Netflix and there's your show. But it you are surfing trying to find something to watch, opening and closing each app separately is a pain.

I have a very smart TV that has apps for all the streaming services so I didn't need an interface such as Roku. But, I found that the apps streamed and sounded better when I used the Roku (and it's an old Roku) rather than stream through the TV apps.

Also, by the time I paid for all the streaming services I wanted, the bill wasn't much less than my full subscription.

I like going through the online guide and picking something there.

Old 01-29-2021, 08:05 AM

732 posts, read 886,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiberiusP View Post
If it comes down to being a wash, Im not too worried about savings. Its more the principle of paying for something that is just not utilized.

I appreciate that. So you just have one internet bill? And is it Verizon?

For 300/300 a month, you are using Amazon prime, hulu, & netflix?

Coincidentally, I just opened a Verizon Fios account for my office as a backup to my Optimum cable. And I am in healthcare. SO I'll have to look into that. Thank you.
I am using Prime, hulu and netflix but my parents pay for those services since I help them with technical stuff and ordering from Amazon.

It's actually for nurses, teachers, first responders and military personal Enroll in automatic payments and you get extra $10 off. Speed should be 300/300 on Long island. It will update when you put your address in. Phone plans are also cheaper. Get the mid tier (Play more) and you get hulu, disney+ and ESPN+.
https://www.verizon.com/featured/giving-more/
No contract so you can end any time. One time set up should be waived as well.

Last edited by ubering; 01-29-2021 at 08:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island