Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 05:55 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,752,356 times

Advertisements

The uber-income Village of Sands Point, Town of North Hempstead is also within easy commute of St. Francis Hospital in the Village of Flower Hill (Roslyn, NY P.O.), Town of North Hempstead, as well as North Shore Hospital in the Hamlet of Manhasset, Town of North Hempstead, as well as Long Island Jewish Hospital in the Village of Lake Success (New Hyde Park P.O.), Town of North Hempstead.

For those who may not be familiar with Sands Point:

Sands Point is a village (incorporated in 1932) in the northeast part of the Town of North Hempstead, in the northwest part of Nassau County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Village of Sands Point in the Town of North Hempstead is bordered on the north by Long Island Sound; on the east by Hempstead Bay and Hempstead Harbor; on the south by the Hamlet of Port Washington, the Village of Port Washington North, the Village of Manorhaven and Manhasset Bay; and, on the west by Long Island Sound.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/84/Sands-point-ny-map.gif (broken link)

Sands Point is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the village name in their mailing address: places in the Village of Sands Point have a "Port Washington, NY 11050" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): https://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 05:55 PM

26 posts, read 219,203 times
As someone that just went through the search for a home in LI, I can tell you that the West Islip and Babylon Village areas sound right up your alley. I personally like Babylon Village since it has great restaurants (awesome sushi, irish pubs, eclectic fusion, etc..), close to the train and a quick drive to the beach. Schools in Babylon Village are very good as well as West Islip.

It's Western Suffolk but I think it's worth an extra 5-10 minutes on the train. You should check it out.

Old 05-06-2008, 06:19 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,373,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEB52006 View Post
Thank you for all the suggestions! We will research these towns further and maybe drive through them as well. Does anyone know anything about Wantagh, Massapequa, Merrick, Port Washington, or Commack? How do these towns fit in with what we are looking for?
Wantagh, Massapequa and Merrick are all on the south shore of Nassau County. I have not heard anything bad about any of the school districts, except when looking in Massapequa I would avoid a home that is located in the Amityville school district (that was one of the 11 school districts on LI that was tagged as substandard by our local newspaper, Newsday). These towns all have neighborhoods that are right on the water for boating. Jones Beach is also nearby.

As for Port Washington and Commack, I will leave that to other posters who are more familiar with them than I am.

Old 05-06-2008, 06:30 PM

Default For those who may not be familiar with East Massapequa

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
... (W)hen looking in Massapequa I would avoid a home that is located in the Amityville school district (that was one of the 11 school districts on LI that was tagged as substandard by our local newspaper, Newsday).

No part of the Hamlet of Massapequa is in the Amityville Union Free School District.

It's part of the Hamlet of East Massapequa that has a "Massapequa, NY 11758" mailing address that is in the Amityville Union Free School District.

For those who may not be familiar with East Massapequa:

East Massapequa is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the southeast part of the Town of Oyster Bay, in the southeast part of Nassau County, along the Oyster Bay/Babylon town line and the Nassau/Suffolk County line

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of East Massapequa in the Town of Oyster Bay is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of South Farmingdale; on the east by the Hamlet of North Amityville and the Village of Amityville in the Town of Babylon, Suffolk County (the Oyster Bay/Babylon town line and the Nassau/Suffolk County line); on the south by the Great South Bay; and, on the west by the Village of Massapequa Park.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/50/East-massapequa-ny-map.gif (broken link)

East Massapequa is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the hamlet name in their mailing address: places in the Hamlet of East Massapequa have a "Massapequa, NY 11758", "Massapequa Park, 11762" and "Amityville, NY 11701" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): https://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 05-06-2008, 07:00 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,373,676 times
Thumbs down Not so fast ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
No part of the Hamlet of Massapequa is in the Amityville Union Free School District.
You know I luv ya Walter, but I beg to differ on that.

Go to MLSLI.com – Long Island Real Estate – Find A Home in Nassau, Suffolk & Queens and search for a house in Massapequa. Plenty will come up where it says Amityville School District.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:09 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,513,721 times
True, Massapequa does have school assignments in Amityville SD.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:13 PM

Quote:
You know I luv ya Walter, but I beg to differ on that.

Go to MLSLI.com – Long Island Real Estate – Find A Home in Nassau, Suffolk & Queens and search for a house in Massapequa. Plenty will come up where it says Amityville School District.

The MSLI, as do almost all real estate agents/realtors, misrepresents the community name in a place's mailing address for the community where that place is located, while I'm using the official maps as provided by the Nassau County Planning Commission.

Bear in mind, the majority of places in Nassau County (as well as in Suffolk County) have a different community name in their mailing address than the village or hamlet where that place is actually located.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:16 PM
VTP

200 posts, read 960,100 times
Quote:
Another place I love is Centerport in western Suffolk County. You might like that area too.
I would second the suggestion of Centerport. It meets all of your requirements head on. It's right on the water and, depending on where you live, has some private beach associations, as well as two town beaches.

The library (Harborfields) is gorgeous and offers a multitude of great programs for children and adults alike. The community/parental involvement in the schools (Harborfields district) is unparalleled. There are lots and lots of opportunities for parents to participate in all sorts of school activities -- everything from plays, art fairs, clinics, fundraisers of various sorts, and more. And parents take advantage of these opportunities in droves. The school district is excellent; there are lots of children of professionals enrolled in the district.

All of Centerport is clean, super-safe, and well-maintained. There are no bad areas. Plenty of streets would meet your standard of "upper middle class," and quite a few go beyond that, if you are interested. There is no shortage of money in Centerport, but most of the people who have it are intelligent and educated. It's not the type of place where moneyed bubblebrains drive around in large expensive vehicles (to be fair, there are some of those types around town, but not many -- it's more understated).

There is no village public pool but the local yacht club has a beautiful pool, if you are into boating and socializing. It's a great place with fantastic community involvement: organized swimming and sailing for kids, and big parties on all the holidays. You need sponsors but if the interest is there on your part I'm sure you'd meet like-minded people quickly.

Also, IMO, it's one of the few places left on LI that allows you to feel peaceful when you arrive. You feel that have gotten away from the hubbub that has come to characterize much of the Island.

You may also want to look into Cold Spring Harbor. Good luck!

Old 05-06-2008, 07:27 PM

Default For those who may not be familiar with Massapequa

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmycuties View Post
True, Massapequa does have school assignments in Amityville SD.

You are confusing places that have a "Massapequa, NY 11758" mailing address that are in the Amityille Union Free School District and are actually in the Hamlet of East Massapequa with the Hamlet of Massapequa (2,345 acres) that is smaller than the "Massapequa, NY 11758" ZIP Code postal zone (5,128 acres).

For those who may not be familiar with Massapequa:

Massapequa is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the south part of the Town of Oyster Bay, in the southeast part of Nassau County, along the Oyster Bay/Hempstead town line.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Massapequa in the Town of Oyster Bay is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of North Massapequa; on the east by the Village of Massapequa Park; on the south by South Oyster Bay; and, on the west by the Hamlet of Seaford in the Town of Hempstead (the Oyster Bay/Hempstead town line).

Massapequa is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where the majority of the places with the community name as part of their mailing address are not in the hamlet: those places that have a "Massapequa, NY 11758" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Massapequa are in the Hamlet of North Massapequa and the Hamlet of East Massapequa.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:38 PM

Default For those who may not be familiar with Centerport

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTP View Post
There is no village public pool ...

There's a very good reason why there is no village pool in Centerport: Centerport is not a village, Centerport is a hamlet.

For those who may not be familiar with Centerport:

Centerport is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the north-central part of the Town of Huntington, in the northwest part of Suffolk County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Centerport in the Town of Huntington is bordered on the north by Huntington Bay; on the east by Northport Harbor, the Village of Northport and the Hamlet of East Northport; on the south by the Hamlet of Greenlawn; and, on the west by the Hamlet of Huntington.

The Hamlet of Centerport has a different border than does the "Centerport, NY 11721" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have other than a "Centerport, NY 11721" mailing address and be in the Hamlet of Centerport): there are places in the Hamlet of Centerport with a "Huntington, NY 11743" mailing address.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island