Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2020, 11:41 PM

3 posts, read 4,655 times

Advertisements

I need help with my neighbors. They started a not for profit organization on their less than 2 acre property. They have their three “horses“. 1 horse and 2 Donkeys but then decided to get another 1/2 dozen sheep and at least another 4-5 goats. Then the neighbors next to them decided to get a horse and at least another dozen goats as well. The amount of chickens, roosters, ducks and turkeys is estimated around 50. I really don’t know. I have been living in my house since 1990 and bought the property in 2017. A year later in 2018 is when the animals started to come. The stench now is so rancid it’s hard to even step foot out of my house. The smell has completely hurt my life in many ways. I poured all my money into this home to make it a dream for my newly wed wife and myself. But now every step I take on my property is in a cloud of manure. Every BBQ, birthday party, dinner, is in the smell of feces.. I work a lot and I work long days. I want to be able to come home and relax and not be miserable. I leave to work in a cloud of putrid smell and I come back home in a cloud of putrid smell. It is wearing on me mentally and is seriously affecting my life. I have spoke with them and they either deny there is a smell or that it’s even coming from their properties. They try to blame it on my new cesspool and even suggested there might be dog urine on my radiators. It’s sounds made up but I have no reason to lie. I told them I can’t even open my windows so they told me to get central air so I don’t have to. I don’t know how to handle this. The town of Huntington said the only thing they can’t have are the roosters or more than 3 horses per acre. They can have all the goats, sheep, and pigs they want in the great town of huntington. Now I’m all for people doing whatever they want on their property but this is seriously affecting me on mine. Also since all my neighbors are up on hills around my property I am the only one that gets the smell. So I’m the only dog in the fight here. It amazing I can’t believe this is happening. Please I need advise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2020, 01:51 AM

20,025 posts, read 20,831,761 times
Agricultural zoning?

Old 11-28-2020, 06:03 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,099,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adviseplease View Post
I need help with my neighbors. They started a not for profit organization on their less than 2 acre property. They have their three “horses“. 1 horse and 2 Donkeys but then decided to get another 1/2 dozen sheep and at least another 4-5 goats. Then the neighbors next to them decided to get a horse and at least another dozen goats as well. The amount of chickens, roosters, ducks and turkeys is estimated around 50. I really don’t know. I have been living in my house since 1990 and bought the property in 2017. A year later in 2018 is when the animals started to come. The stench now is so rancid it’s hard to even step foot out of my house. The smell has completely hurt my life in many ways. I poured all my money into this home to make it a dream for my newly wed wife and myself. But now every step I take on my property is in a cloud of manure. Every BBQ, birthday party, dinner, is in the smell of feces.. I work a lot and I work long days. I want to be able to come home and relax and not be miserable. I leave to work in a cloud of putrid smell and I come back home in a cloud of putrid smell. It is wearing on me mentally and is seriously affecting my life. I have spoke with them and they either deny there is a smell or that it’s even coming from their properties. They try to blame it on my new cesspool and even suggested there might be dog urine on my radiators. It’s sounds made up but I have no reason to lie. I told them I can’t even open my windows so they told me to get central air so I don’t have to. I don’t know how to handle this. The town of Huntington said the only thing they can’t have are the roosters or more than 3 horses per acre. They can have all the goats, sheep, and pigs they want in the great town of huntington. Now I’m all for people doing whatever they want on their property but this is seriously affecting me on mine. Also since all my neighbors are up on hills around my property I am the only one that gets the smell. So I’m the only dog in the fight here. It amazing I can’t believe this is happening. Please I need advise.
If the town has a Homesteder Friendly law you need to look at it and see what that law allows in your town and see if the person has more than that number. Otherwise I am afraid that you have no legs to stand on.

Old 11-28-2020, 06:57 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,326,385 times
The town limits animals 8 chicken and ducks max, no roosters allowed.
https://ecode360.com/7221599

https://www.huntingtonny.gov/taxlookup
See what class home it is. If they have some agricultural shot it will say. It prob says residential under class. Call the town public safety office. Those bastards showed up same day when some dumb lady called the town about a work truck we have that was parked in the street and not moved for a few weeks.

Old 11-28-2020, 07:04 AM

109 posts, read 96,019 times
Are you down wind? There maybe nothing you can do except plant fragrant trees/bushes or flowers in a buffer zone, spruce the house up and put it on the market as its currently a hot sellers market. Contact Real estate attorney about any rules for managing compost or manure pile. Better luck next time and pay attent to general wind patterns for future buys.

Old 11-28-2020, 07:54 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,775,030 times
If the law is on your side then sell it, as noted it's a seller's market and some cidiot who thinks they want to farm will pay top dollar for that.

Old 11-28-2020, 08:05 PM

855 posts, read 450,499 times
Why are you asking a forum? Why aren't you asking an attorney?

Old 11-29-2020, 03:29 PM

3 posts, read 4,655 times
Mysticpearl I’m asking a forum because I want to see if others have dealt with this. Attorneys cost money and my wife and I are just starting our family. Pauluccm I am downwind but the wind helps. The gases that are given off from manure and urine travel like water when it’s still out. My house being lower than everyone else’s is the reason I’m consumed in the smell. Also all our properties are zoned residential. The town Huntington doesn’t care about how many animals you have as long as you don’t have too many horses. I would hate to sell my house. I have been living here since 1990. The animals didn’t come till 2018. I had already been living here and even bought the place before all this. I didn’t move next to the farm. The farm moved next to me. General wind patterns??? I guess I’ll look into a Realestate lawyer. Can anyone recommend a lawyer?

Old 11-29-2020, 05:50 PM

983 posts, read 724,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adviseplease View Post
Mysticpearl I’m asking a forum because I want to see if others have dealt with this. Attorneys cost money and my wife and I are just starting our family. Pauluccm I am downwind but the wind helps. The gases that are given off from manure and urine travel like water when it’s still out. My house being lower than everyone else’s is the reason I’m consumed in the smell. Also all our properties are zoned residential. The town Huntington doesn’t care about how many animals you have as long as you don’t have too many horses. I would hate to sell my house. I have been living here since 1990. The animals didn’t come till 2018. I had already been living here and even bought the place before all this. I didn’t move next to the farm. The farm moved next to me. General wind patterns??? I guess I’ll look into a Realestate lawyer. Can anyone recommend a lawyer?

Try planting arborvitae or cypress en mass between you and your neighbor. Trees will absorb the smell

Old 11-29-2020, 05:51 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,355,019 times
That sucks. I had an idiot neighbor years ago that had a fire pit that would fill my house with so much fumes, we couldn’t rest he and our eyes would tear. I had a two month old baby at the time. I called the fire deptsnd they checked it out. They said it was really bad but there was nothing they could do about it because they were burning would in a contained pit. The problem was that they would burn wet wood that was soaked with lighter fluid. I asked the fire Marshall what I could do and he said to just shut all the windows and keep the dental air on all summer. That didn’t work since no house is air tight and why should I have to shut my windows on a nice night and also pay that huge LIPS Bill. Of course the jackass neighbor had to add a second pit and also put a tiki lamp on every fence post (totaling 50 or so) because I called the fire dept to see if it was safe to live there. And the wind blew straight from their house to mine. You could see the smoke as it came into my heard.

What can you do? Nothing. If they had any consideration, they would move any manure or animals to the furthest part of your yard to minimize the odor. But they won’t because they will say they can do whatever they want on their property. Same as my neighbors could have put the fire pits at another point in their yard that would barely affect us. But they didn’t, I wound up selling my house at $100k loss eventually. Best money I ever lost. Haven’t had an issue like that ever since, sorry to hear about this. You have one morons that live in Huntington who feel like they live on a ranch upstate NY when they are a stone’s throw from all of their neighbors. Good luck. Sorry you have to go through this.the only thing you can do is buy about 20 of those huge Hollywood fans, set them up at your property line and blow it all back at them. Maybe then they will see what it’s like. And that is perfectly legal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island