Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2020, 07:40 PM

3 posts, read 4,048 times

Advertisements

We are close to purchasing a home in Garden City in the area south of the court houses and west of the Mott section. Is there anything about this area we should be aware of before making this huge commitment? It seems very quiet even though it is surrounded by busier streets, however, we are not as familiar with this area as we previously spent most of our time looking at homes in the estates section.

TIA for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2020, 07:59 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,816,101 times
Should be pretty quiet, some of those streets are one way??? Cuts down on cut through traffic going to and from the courts. Just check it out at rush hour to be sure.

Old 09-28-2020, 11:54 PM

565 posts, read 362,202 times
Having lived in Queens most of my life I wasn't all that familiar with GC beyond just knowing it was a very nice area. However over the last year or so I've been driving for Uber Eats as a side gig to my retirement and I have to say...I'm not impressed. While the homes are wonderful, as are the people, it's way...AND I MEAN WAY...to close to some questionable areas for my liking at GC price points.

Just knowing Hempstead is right on my southern doorstep would make me feel uncomfortable as far as burglaries go. And the hoods to the north aren't much better (Westbury/Mineola).

I would be a hard pass and spend that same money further North. Great Neck, Manhasset or Roslyn areas.

Old 09-29-2020, 06:28 AM

1,467 posts, read 760,934 times
Garden city is nice. Traffic is brutal near Stewart and Clinton though. Your not directly on the boarder so Hempstead over there like other garden city houses are and wouldn’t really affect you directly. They do want to do low income housing on Stewart I heard which is close by. Will take away your high tax paying recourses. The hotel near the mall already does that

Old 09-29-2020, 08:09 AM

131 posts, read 333,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbpcmom View Post
We are close to purchasing a home in Garden City in the area south of the court houses and west of the Mott section. Is there anything about this area we should be aware of before making this huge commitment? It seems very quiet even though it is surrounded by busier streets, however, we are not as familiar with this area as we previously spent most of our time looking at homes in the estates section.

TIA for your help.
Nice area. Homes in that area start at almost $1 million and go up to there is currently a house in the market there for over $2 million with $40k in property taxes.

Old 09-29-2020, 08:38 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,816,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensGuy72 View Post
Having lived in Queens most of my life I wasn't all that familiar with GC beyond just knowing it was a very nice area. However over the last year or so I've been driving for Uber Eats as a side gig to my retirement and I have to say...I'm not impressed. While the homes are wonderful, as are the people, it's way...AND I MEAN WAY...to close to some questionable areas for my liking at GC price points.

Just knowing Hempstead is right on my southern doorstep would make me feel uncomfortable as far as burglaries go. And the hoods to the north aren't much better (Westbury/Mineola).

I would be a hard pass and spend that same money further North. Great Neck, Manhasset or Roslyn areas.
DH grew up there and now that there's some separation, when he goes back he's pretty much saying the same thing about the surrounding areas. Everyone thing else looks a little dingier as the years go by. I wouldn't say "hard pass" though - the only streetsthat really have problems are the ones immediately bordering Hempstead. Estates has a nice buffer with the RR to the north, and they along with the western section are bordered on the south by Franklin Square. Stewart Manor to the west is not a problem, and neither is Mineola or NHP.

As far as the prices, they have been high since the late 90s the only thing that's dramatically increased is the taxes. My sister sold a house in the central section 10 years ago for $1.2, her buyers sold it a few years later for....$1.2, after putting in about $200K worth of work. House was worth about $2 mil in 2004. Live and learn.

Old 09-29-2020, 01:38 PM

29 posts, read 24,252 times
What's considered garden city estates? Is that also known as garden city park? The area surrounding garden city high school? That's a really nice neighborhood, I just moved to New Hyde Park and I get depressed knowing their are mansions just a few blocks over. You drive down the streets and every house has banners and flags up for the prestigious colleges their kids are going to, never seen anything like that coming from Queens, guess no one wants to hang up a Hunter college banner outside. I tell my wife, we'll make it over there one day.

Old 09-29-2020, 02:03 PM

81 posts, read 68,163 times
Garden City is a great area with great schools, a nice downtown, reasonable commute to Manhattan and great quality of life though the only thing is be prepared to pay a fortune for a house, some houses can be a few million dollars. Also try not to be to close to the Hempstead border (which is the village directly to the south) as sometimes there can be some crime that spreads in from that village into that part of Garden City but very rarely does that ever happen so no matter what you should be fine but just don't live on a block where your house is right next to Hempstead. Note that other great areas to check out near Garden City include Garden City Park, Garden City South, Franklin Square, New Hyde Park, Floral Park, Herricks, North New Hyde Park and maybe even Mineola.

Old 09-29-2020, 02:17 PM

376 posts, read 310,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassaucounty28 View Post
Garden City is a great area with great schools, a nice downtown, reasonable commute to Manhattan and great quality of life though the only thing is be prepared to pay a fortune for a house, some houses can be a few million dollars. Also try not to be to close to the Hempstead border (which is the village directly to the south) as sometimes there can be some crime that spreads in from that village into that part of Garden City but very rarely does that ever happen so no matter what you should be fine but just don't live on a block where your house is right next to Hempstead. Note that other great areas to check out near Garden City include Garden City Park, Garden City South, Franklin Square, New Hyde Park, Floral Park, Herricks, North New Hyde Park and maybe even Mineola.
Franklin square and minneola don’t belong there. Maybe even floral park either.

Old 09-29-2020, 02:51 PM

226 posts, read 129,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAHM51 View Post
What's considered garden city estates? Is that also known as garden city park? The area surrounding garden city high school? That's a really nice neighborhood, I just moved to New Hyde Park and I get depressed knowing their are mansions just a few blocks over. You drive down the streets and every house has banners and flags up for the prestigious colleges their kids are going to, never seen anything like that coming from Queens, guess no one wants to hang up a Hunter college banner outside. I tell my wife, we'll make it over there one day.
FWIW, you live in a great area of Long Island already. My girlfriend and I did an upstate trip last month, and the experience made me extremely grateful to be fortunate enough to live on LI. Even the "bad" parts of LI (and NHP is on the other side of the spectrum) pale in comparison to parts of Binghamton, for example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island