Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2020, 09:30 AM

1 posts, read 1,174 times

Advertisements

hi

I bought house in Town of Hempstead last year. House has gas in house but oil heating system. I want to convert that to gas. Also, I have illegal bathroom in house. I knew if I go for for permit, I need to rip that bathroom. I contacted couple of contractors and some of them told me that I don't need to file for permit since I have gas line in house. Can anyone please suggest what will be implications if I convert with permit. Also, will town get to know if I converted from oil to gas?

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2020, 10:18 AM

20,937 posts, read 28,432,613 times
there are so many threads on this already so please do a search before starting another thread.

Old 05-14-2020, 05:06 AM

150 posts, read 110,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gurpreet120291 View Post
hi

I bought house in Town of Hempstead last year. House has gas in house but oil heating system. I want to convert that to gas. Also, I have illegal bathroom in house. I knew if I go for for permit, I need to rip that bathroom. I contacted couple of contractors and some of them told me that I don't need to file for permit since I have gas line in house. Can anyone please suggest what will be implications if I convert with permit. Also, will town get to know if I converted from oil to gas?

thanks
As long as your supply and meter is large enough, you don't "need" to involve the town with this conversion. It's gas though. Unless you know what you're doing and able to supervise and handle your own pressure testing, I would suggest you get the permit and let the inspectors do their job.

If you do need a larger meter, you must get a permit. NationalGrid will require it.

Old 05-14-2020, 05:08 PM

615 posts, read 448,602 times
You should get the permit and do this correctly.

Old 05-14-2020, 08:43 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,772,847 times
Quote:
hi

thanks
If you already have gas in the house screw the permit.

Old 05-15-2020, 08:27 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,166,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
If you already have gas in the house screw the permit.
What if there was a line for partial gas? like just to the stove . Then what?

Old 05-15-2020, 08:33 AM

783 posts, read 1,423,837 times
Quote:
hi

thanks
Is the illegal bathroom located close to the oil boiler? I have only dealt with TOB inspectors and for gas conversion the inspection is very quick. They aren't there to look for illegal additions.

Old 05-16-2020, 06:49 PM

103 posts, read 226,270 times
Use Holzenhauer, I got recommendations from this forum when I was doing my conversion,I was worried because I had a similar problem - Finished basement,right next to where the boiler was. I didn't have any gas line. The dude took care of everything, he got the necessary permits and sorted out the inspection. His price was pretty reasonable too. I was told the Cornetta brothers were great too but they said they didn't cover my area.

Old 05-25-2020, 10:16 PM

24 posts, read 20,662 times
I used Holzhauer and regretted it....I did the conversion with them and had them replace a 30 yr old steam oil burner. They replaced the steam boiler system and they botched the piping job completely, leaving the house with an over-sized boiler which short-cycled every day. After a miserable 2 years, I hired Scullys to repipe boiler. I'd never hire those guys again!

Go with Scully Plumbing. He's pricey but knows his stuff. You only want to do the job once.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: