Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2020, 07:03 PM

34,105 posts, read 47,338,050 times

Advertisements

If only young kids are supposed to work these types of jobs, then the stores shouldnt even be open during the day because they're all supposed to be in school

But a lot of ppl think these types of jobs are only for retirees and young kids

Most retirees have no interest in working and kids are in school during the day.

Let's just start bringing the robots in.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2020, 10:55 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,170,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
Rentals with "Logic" equipped toilets usually command the highest rents with extra security deposit. It's the latest technology.

All please bear in mind that high Long Island rents are mainly a product of property owners passing on the high property taxes, insurance, maintenance costs (L.I. tradesmen, at least the good one's, ain't cheap). And of course acquisition cost (purchase price).
And don't forget the fee(s) charged by the Towns for the permit(s) which need to be renewed annually...

Old 03-06-2020, 06:19 AM

2,606 posts, read 3,406,498 times
The rental market on the island is slim and no landlord is going to rent out to someone making minimum wage. As most have stated your options are to keep living at home, rent out a room or get a few roommates and rent a house or apartment. When I was working in the restaurant industry just about everyone lived at home or had roommates.
Making minimum wage does not entitle you to anything. Once you start making real money then you can start looking for your own place.
Work hard, advance your skills, show a desire to succeed and start making money. Then you can start looking for your own place.

Old 03-06-2020, 06:27 AM

Shelter is a basic human need. To want your own shelter is entitlement? So when is one supposed to be able to have a sense of independence on Long Island, when they're in their 30s? Doesn't even matter anyway, it's a dog eat dog world and the attitude on LI is as long as I can pay my bills screw everybody else.

Old 03-06-2020, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conqueso View Post
"Live in your car until you can be a Real Acheiving Long Islander (Tm). I'll have a number 2 with a Sprite '
We should all have equal opportunity to contribute to society in our own way, but unfortunately human beings are greedy parasites. No better than cockroaches and rats (thats about as bipartisan as I can get). The pollution, high taxes, and stagnant economy on LI is all due to greed. And the same ppl who say there's nothing that can be done about it are the same ones voting at the polls.

Old 03-06-2020, 06:52 AM

2,512 posts, read 3,062,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
And don't forget the fee(s) charged by the Towns for the permit(s) which need to be renewed annually...
Indeed! All of the above, AND the owner/landlord may be carrying a mortgage on the property with associated payments/interest/etc....

Old 03-06-2020, 07:57 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,828,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
20 years ago in NYC it was possible to be 18 and have a low-paying job and and a crappy apartment

No it wasn't. That's a complete fantasy. Unless it was a share with a bunch of people splitting the rent, there was no studio or 1 bd that could be had on a min wage job. Maybe 40+ years ago. Or hitting the rent control lottery, which isn't happening to any 18 yr olds. Even NYC is losing rentals to coop and condos exclusively.

Old 03-06-2020, 08:14 AM

1,107 posts, read 553,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Our first apartment we rented before we bought - it was a shoebox, but dammit it was our shoebox. We lived there 6 months & 3 shootings occured in those months on my block - but it was still our shoebox.
And there you have it. There are still affordable "shoeboxes" to rent IF one makes concessions, like living in a less desirable area than they might prefer. I find that people who say there is nothing affordable out there actually mean there is nothing affordable that meets their criteria, which for someone earning minimum wage might be unreasonable. I started out in a studio apartment. The OP is looking for a 1-bedroom. I, like you, started out in a not-so-hot urban neighborhood, not suburbia which is known for it's sprawling one-family homes and costly amenities. Rental costs typically correlate with the cost of living in the area, and that includes real estate taxes. Long Island has one of the highest real estate tax rates in the country.

Old 03-06-2020, 08:26 AM

2,687 posts, read 2,334,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
No it wasn't. That's a complete fantasy. Unless it was a share with a bunch of people splitting the rent, there was no studio or 1 bd that could be had on a min wage job. Maybe 40+ years ago. Or hitting the rent control lottery, which isn't happening to any 18 yr olds. Even NYC is losing rentals to coop and condos exclusively.
I didn't live here but it was in my name since my sibling could not meet the income requirements. Was rent controlled in Kew gardens pre war building, no amenities. 1br about 675 sq ft, was decent place and clean. 15 min walk to subway 6 min to lirr. when lease was signed in 2016 rent was $1200 we gave it up in mid 2019 rent was $1325. There are affordable places but you have to look and act quick. This unit never made it to the listings. The realtor we where working with had the listing since we missed out on 2 other places. We went to look at it before he listed it and I wrote the 1st last and realtor fee checks on the spot.

Old 03-06-2020, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
My testimony is that I worked for an L&T firm while I was in college during the early 2000s, so I am well aware of what the rent levels were all over the 5 boroughs during that time.

Last edited by SeventhFloor; 03-06-2020 at 11:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island