Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2019, 10:44 AM

3 posts, read 1,818 times

Advertisements

Good afternoon everyone.

I currently live in the second floor of a legal 2 family home in Lindenhurst. The family below us just moved out and the landlord offered us to buy the house. (We want to live in the bottom and rent the top)

From what I found online, permits do not transfer and once ownership transferred, the home reverts to a single-family home.

Has anyone ever gone through the process of getting the home reapproved to be a multi-family home? Since they already approved the home, wouldn't that mean it should be fairly simply process?

Can anyone recommend if I should get a lawyer, or any due diligence I should be doing prior to moving forward with buying this home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2019, 10:59 AM

20,323 posts, read 21,108,285 times
I know in Nassau, Town of Hempstead, this is an absolute horror show and near impossible(been there).
Don't listen to a bunch of no face internet message board posters. Call the town and find out what is involved. I believe, and I could be totally wrong for Town of Babylon, but, I think they are more lenient for owner-occupied.
Call the town. It's your best bet.

Old 12-09-2019, 11:50 AM

9,934 posts, read 23,229,498 times
Town of Babylon has two versions of what we think of as "legal two" (found that out when looking with a buyer). Make sure you know which one you're buying; should you ever decide to sell, it'll make a difference:

Legal two = Owner occupied with accessory apartment. Permit required, does not transfer

Legal two by CO = Two rentals, with no requirement for owner to live on premises. Permit required, does not transfer.

Because requirements change from time to time, it's best to call the Town and find out what the requirements are, including the fee(s).

Old 12-09-2019, 12:10 PM

3 posts, read 1,818 times
Thanks for the replies! I know the house is a legal 2 by CO and owner is not required to live there.

Old 12-09-2019, 01:38 PM

33 posts, read 45,678 times
Town of Babylon or Village of Lindenhurst?

Both have different rules and requirements. I would spend a few minutes doing some research. Head into the correct Town or Village hall and ask... They are both decent places and they will help.

If the house is in fact a Legal 2 by CO without it being owner occupied, you will still need a rental permit. They are very easy to get in both places. Each floor has to have a smoke and carbon detector. The boiler room needs to be fire rated. Usually the driveway has to be large enough to have 4 cars parked in it, off street..

Its worth a few minutes to go look into it. A lot of people think the have a non owner occupied Legal 2 when the majority are not. (Not saying thats the case for you but its possible)

Old 12-09-2019, 01:38 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,785,223 times
If it's a legal two by c/o it should be a fairly easy process. But, as others have said, call the town and don't assume anything.

Old 12-09-2019, 01:57 PM

252 posts, read 421,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitsk48 View Post
Thanks for the replies! I know the house is a legal 2 by CO and owner is not required to live there.
You would need to apply for a new accessory apartment permit from the Town of Babylon. Believe the fee was $350-400. The permit will need to be renewed every 3 years and the premises will be reinspected every 6 years. There is a list of necessary items specified by the Town that will be inspected.

Hope this helps

Old 12-09-2019, 03:41 PM

659 posts, read 1,067,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
If it's a legal two by c/o it should be a fairly easy process. But, as others have said, call the town and don't assume anything.
It can be tricky..because it can be legal at the County level (property record says 2 family property), but all permits/checks/etc. are handled at the town/village level.

Old 12-09-2019, 03:51 PM

9,934 posts, read 23,229,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVR1997 View Post
It can be tricky..because it can be legal at the County level (property record says 2 family property), but all permits/checks/etc. are handled at the town/village level.
In Suffolk it's either Town or Village, depending on the location of the property. Village rules/codes top Town rules/codes.

Old 12-09-2019, 03:59 PM

659 posts, read 1,067,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitsk48 View Post
Good afternoon everyone.

I currently live in the second floor of a legal 2 family home in Lindenhurst. The family below us just moved out and the landlord offered us to buy the house. (We want to live in the bottom and rent the top)
In addition to the permit issues - have you ever been a landlord before....aware of all the recent changes that have occurred WRT renting/landlording...and aware that NYS is extremely tenant friendly. Being a landlord can be lucrative, but it is not for the faint for heart especially if you are going to be living at the property. Are electric and heating separate....need a lease that's compliant with NYS rules and regulations and most important you must be able to screen, screen and screen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island