Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2019, 12:22 PM

9,934 posts, read 23,219,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
So funny the anger and apologists for what is simple reality. Newsday didn't set this up or create some narrative. They candid camera'd a bundle of agents and caught them overtly steering BASED ON RACE.
This is about family A being treated completely differently than family B despite every metric (except race) being equal. They got busted. .

NY State has had testers for years, and yes, they do catch agents. Agents are people, and some people do the right thing and others don't. No excuses here, it is what it is.

However, your comment that EVERY METRIC was equal, is erroneous. Not every family behaved the same way, and not every family came at the same time. Inventory changes over time, especially on the low end, where we've had bidding wars for some time now. If you come in today and I offer some available listings and a friend of yours comes in weeks (in some instances 3 months!) later, that inventory will have changed and I will be unable to offer the same listings. Perceived "better" neighborhoods will move faster as well.

Again, I'm making no excuses, just want to clarify the "every metric was equal" thing - it's not the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2019, 02:03 PM

22,730 posts, read 36,958,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
NY State has had testers for years, and yes, they do catch agents. Agents are people, and some people do the right thing and others don't. No excuses here, it is what it is.

However, your comment that EVERY METRIC was equal, is erroneous. Not every family behaved the same way, and not every family came at the same time. Inventory changes over time, especially on the low end, where we've had bidding wars for some time now. If you come in today and I offer some available listings and a friend of yours comes in weeks (in some instances 3 months!) later, that inventory will have changed and I will be unable to offer the same listings. Perceived "better" neighborhoods will move faster as well.

Again, I'm making no excuses, just want to clarify the "every metric was equal" thing - it's not the case.
I think the timing thing was the biggest issue for this study, for the reasons you cited. Obviously inventory changes and changes quickly. Sending testers in months apart really didn't make sense to me.

Old 11-30-2019, 03:21 PM

174 posts, read 107,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
So funny the anger and apologists for what is simple reality. Newsday didn't set this up or create some narrative. They candid camera'd a bundle of agents and caught them overtly steering BASED ON RACE. Moderator cut: language removed
is so hard to comprehend about that?! It's not a lib v con issue or anything else. It's the reality of a place built on extreme white flight AND it's the norm for most everywhere in the country, not just LI, because people of all races tend to be inherently fearful, prejudiced and passively-racist. So just admit it and accept it. We were ground zero for suburban development, and so ground zero for the exposing of historic racist housing tendencies. Using Bezos and Gates as some far flung analogy is just silly. This is about family A being treated completely differently than family B despite every metric (except race) being equal. They got busted. I know in the Trump era, BS excuses and off-topic deflections beat the actual crime every time, but it doesn't change the reality. The difference here is that the RE agents are doing EXACTLY what the market desires (to some degree) and it's the people who have to look in the mirror and decide if this is the best thing long term or not. As a NYer it's hard to say. Passive racism is as NY as pizza and bagels and when you live paycheck to paycheck, paying $3500/mo to live in a Levitt cape, "there goes the neighborhood" is very real to you and causes more economic fear then social. Plus as LI gets more unaffordable for the young and old (and in between), people will be more quick to blow off the old covenants of only selling to "whoever" and will sell to whoever flashes the most green. Good or bad, RE agents are actually front line workers in local nimby control.

Are you not posting this from a gated community which is 5/6's white, with its own police force?

Old 11-30-2019, 03:36 PM

2,589 posts, read 1,837,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromulent View Post
Are you not posting this from a gated community which is 5/6's white, with its own police force?
umm, no

Old 11-30-2019, 03:45 PM

174 posts, read 107,472 times
11-01-2019, 05:28 PM
monstermagnet
befriend

1,406 posts, read 770,969 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
If you lived in way better places for less, why are you still here? Why did you move back? If LI sucks so much, why didn't you stay where you were?

"They all come back"
Happy wife, happy life. I came back to Seagate in Brooklyn and loved it, 20 years ago. I sold a nice house in Texas which I also enjoyed. Wife wanted to stay on LI. She has regretted not buying in Brooklyn or Manhattan ever since. I'm here until the kid graduates. Then he can have the house if he wants it. Unless values tank AGAIN like in 2008. Then I'll be here loving it and working full time until I'm 85 if there are any jobs left at all. Oh, and by far and away, most DO NOT COME BACK. Even Trump is making the move to God's waiting room. He says NY is TOO EXPENSIVE!!! Maybe he's struggling, too!"

My bad. Must've been some other monstermagnet.

Old 11-30-2019, 05:30 PM

Quote:
monstermagnet
befriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
If you lived in way better places for less, why are you still here? Why did you move back? If LI sucks so much, why didn't you stay where you were?

"They all come back"
Happy wife, happy life. I came back to Seagate in Brooklyn and loved it, 20 years ago. I sold a nice house in Texas which I also enjoyed. Wife wanted to stay on LI. She has regretted not buying in Brooklyn or Manhattan ever since. I'm here until the kid graduates. Then he can have the house if he wants it. Unless values tank AGAIN like in 2008. Then I'll be here loving it and working full time until I'm 85 if there are any jobs left at all. Oh, and by far and away, most DO NOT COME BACK. Even Trump is making the move to God's waiting room. He says NY is TOO EXPENSIVE!!! Maybe he's struggling, too!"

He lives in Nassau County. See the part where "the wife wanted to stay on LI" and "she has regretted not buying in Brooklyn or Manhattan ever since?"

Go back a little farther in his posting history to not look like a recent stalker.

Old 12-01-2019, 08:58 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,837,026 times
Quote:
monstermagnet
befriend

I came back to Seagate in Brooklyn[/b] and loved it, 20 years ago.

"20 years ago." Reading is fundamental.

Old 12-01-2019, 12:32 PM

20,323 posts, read 21,082,298 times
Lol.

Old 12-01-2019, 01:15 PM

8,009 posts, read 9,220,467 times
From today's Newsday article:
Susan Lagville, a longtime housing advocate in Huntington, said she was surprised to learn of evidence that real estate agents were steering Hispanic people to neighborhoods north of 25A, which traditionally has been predominantly white.

So now they are mad because Hispanics were in fact encouraged to go and purchase in the White majority areas? First they ***** that Hispanics were only shown properties in Hispanic areas and now they complain about Hispanics being "steered" into white areas. I thought that was encouraging diversity, but now that too is steering.

Just goes to show you how useless the whole series of articles is.

Old 12-01-2019, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
From today's Newsday article:
Susan Lagville, a longtime housing advocate in Huntington, said she was surprised to learn of evidence that real estate agents were steering Hispanic people to neighborhoods north of 25A, which traditionally has been predominantly white.

So now they are mad because Hispanics were in fact encouraged to go and purchase in the White majority areas? First they ***** that Hispanics were only shown properties in Hispanic areas and now they complain about Hispanics being "steered" into white areas. I thought that was encouraging diversity, but now that too is steering.

Just goes to show you how useless the whole series of articles is.
Interesting - wonder if the point is that they pushed the Huntington SD #3 on them....but yeah I grew up in Huntington and my reaction to that is "so?" They got pushed to Halesite??? That was the gateway to huntington bay where all the rich kids lived when I grew up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island