Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2019, 07:06 AM

20 posts, read 24,768 times

Advertisements

We are considering moving to the NYC area for a new job opportunity. Looking into Manhasset and Bronxville for the excellent schools in either town (and, yes, understanding both are very pricey for that reason!). I'd be commuting to midtown Manhattan.

Hopefully some City-Data readers know both towns and can weigh in how they are the same or different; in terms of schools, walkability, vicinity to retail/ restaurants/ cinemas, are many people moving there from other parts of the country/ is it easy to settle in?, conservative/liberal, and just overall "vibe".

Thanks for any color you can provide!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2019, 04:54 PM

235 posts, read 247,908 times
You must walk through each, several hours. Stop in the public library.
---
Now for some contrasts. Manhasset is merely a hamlet inside the Town of North Hempstead. The pricier part of Bronxville is an incorporated village. Bronxville zip code NY 10708 includes both the western portion, part of the city of Yonkers, and the eastern portion, the incorporated village including restaurants, etc. The dividing line is the meandering Bronx River. Research any differences between Yonkers Public Schools and the one-building Bronxville Union Free School District.
---
Metro North provides excellent service from Bronxville to Grand Central Terminal.
The Long Island Rail Road provides good service (some single track) from Manhasset to Penn Station. Those are two very different destinations, depending on where your job is.
---
In Nassau County and Westchester County, zip codes, fire districts, school districts, and governmental bodies (town or village) often have different boundaries. Your house may be in a different school district from the one across the street. It is important to read local maps, including Hagstrom's. Double-check what the seller says about boundaries.

Old 10-03-2019, 05:05 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
Bronxville has the advantage of being on the mainland which depending how frequently you travel can be a plus, your not fighting your way through NYC to get off of the island to travel somewhere. Work travel on Metro North will bring you into Grand Central at 42nd street vice Penn Station at 32nd street with the LIRR; based on posters comments Metro North is a better regarded choice.

The above poster gave really good advice, don't assume that the homes zip code or listing community ensures that all associated services will be the same. In New York the layers of government, schools and taxes are very granular (and many) with a lot of overlap so verify what will actually will associated with the home.

Good Luck..

Old 10-03-2019, 05:28 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Manhasset has a nice downtown area but I wouldn't say it's walkable other than that. I have no idea of home prices in Bronxville but Manhasset you will pay out the nose for even a tiny house. That said, lovely town. Manhasset it pretty much a white Catholic town if that matters to you.

If you want something with better commuting options but similar feel, check out Garden City and Rockville Center, however neither is as...bucolic...as Manhasset. The north shore has more the feel of an oasis than the middle of the island.

Old 10-03-2019, 05:54 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,329,659 times
I am modestly familiar with bronxville. You have to lookout for the zoning not all of bronxville goes to bronxville schools. The prices reflect that. The commute from bronxville is closer but it also has more of a urban feel. Manhasset has a suburban country feel depending on your lot size.

Old 10-03-2019, 06:02 AM

13,056 posts, read 18,116,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Manhasset has a nice downtown area but I wouldn't say it's walkable other than that. I have no idea of home prices in Bronxville but Manhasset you will pay out the nose for even a tiny house. That said, lovely town. Manhasset it pretty much a white Catholic town if that matters to you.

If you want something with better commuting options but similar feel, check out Garden City and Rockville Center, however neither is as...bucolic...as Manhasset. The north shore has more the feel of an oasis than the middle of the island.
I agree, I would check Rockville Centre out in terms of a walkable town. Manhasset downtown is a lot smaller and not as diverse (shopping wise). The train line is an excellent line and the homes vary from section to section. There are parts that I would say are equal to those in Manhasset, but it is like comparing apples to oranges in other ways. FWIW, I live in RVC for 3 years and found it to be uppity.

I know people that currently live in Manhasset and I am told they have the same feeling. DH is from Garden City and I also agree that is a walkable downtown but small. There are some fabulous areas of GC that also rival those in Manhasset, but again it is a different fibe.

Old 10-03-2019, 10:32 AM

973 posts, read 1,411,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
I am modestly familiar with bronxville. You have to lookout for the zoning not all of bronxville goes to bronxville schools. The prices reflect that. The commute from bronxville is closer but it also has more of a urban feel. Manhasset has a suburban country feel depending on your lot size.
My understanding is that the Bronxville School District is entirely coterminous with the Village of Bronxville. So yes, all of Bronxville is within the Bronxville School District. What I think you are referring to is that there are many properties within the City of Yonkers and the Village of Tuckahoe that have Bronxville mailing addresses. But these properties are not "in" Bronxville.

Also, zoning does not determine where someone attends public schools. Zoning refers to limitations on the use of property - residential, commericial, etc.

Old 10-03-2019, 07:37 PM

592 posts, read 919,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostontonyc1 View Post
We are considering moving to the NYC area for a new job opportunity. Looking into Manhasset and Bronxville for the excellent schools in either town (and, yes, understanding both are very pricey for that reason!). I'd be commuting to midtown Manhattan.

Hopefully some City-Data readers know both towns and can weigh in how they are the same or different; in terms of schools, walkability, vicinity to retail/ restaurants/ cinemas, are many people moving there from other parts of the country/ is it easy to settle in?, conservative/liberal, and just overall "vibe".

Thanks for any color you can provide!
East or west side of Midtown?

Old 10-04-2019, 04:26 PM

198 posts, read 530,289 times
Manhasset, like Bronxville has many houses that have Manhasset mailing addresses but are not in Manhasset school district. In addition, some Manhasset houses are in the villages of Plandome and Plandome Manor which have additional village taxes. I have a relative with young children who just bought a house in Manhasset within walking distance of Plandome LIRR. Husband commutes to Hudson Yards so it was perfect for them. She is a SAHM (kids in private pre-school) and is meeting new people at Manhasset Newcomer's Club and children soccer activities.
Manhasset seems to have more newer homes.

Last edited by coolwaves; 10-04-2019 at 04:46 PM..

Old 10-06-2019, 11:38 AM

8,695 posts, read 11,081,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolwaves View Post
Manhasset, like Bronxville has many houses that have Manhasset mailing addresses but are not in Manhasset school district. In addition, some Manhasset houses are in the villages of Plandome and Plandome Manor which have additional village taxes. I have a relative with young children who just bought a house in Manhasset within walking distance of Plandome LIRR. Husband commutes to Hudson Yards so it was perfect for them. She is a SAHM (kids in private pre-school) and is meeting new people at Manhasset Newcomer's Club and children soccer activities.
Manhasset seems to have more newer homes.
Ummmm wrong
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island