Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2019, 03:52 AM

5,075 posts, read 3,973,436 times

Advertisements

Awful story of a high school student stabbed in what seems to have been a well-publicized fight after school. Early reports are that other students filmed while the attack was ongoing rather than either intervening or even calling the cops. That seems to be the national media's take on it:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...lping-n1055956

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/17/n...oceanside.html

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/18/us/ne...deo/index.html

https://www.newsday.com/long-island/...ide-1.36442975

Old 09-19-2019, 05:45 AM

151 posts, read 133,816 times
This is just my personal experience with the area so take it with a grain of salt. Maybe someone else’s experiences were completely different from mine and that’s okay:

First and foremost, my condolences to the victim. Nobody deserves to die that way.

Secondly, the Oceanside/Long Beach/Atlantic Beach area has always been known for unruly teens. I know most teens are knuckleheads wherever you go but they tend to be extra-chaotic in this part of Nassau.

When I was in my late teens/early 20’s, I was exposed to them a lot and most were either “wiggers” (not sure what they’re called now), drunks, druggies or embodiments of the Jersey Shore show that was popular at the time. They were the most misbehaved and had the worst personalities i’ve ever encountered. The ones from families with money were just as bad if not even worse. I’m in my late 20’s now to put things into perspective.

I’m usually not the type that judges people based on their town (and I’m sure there were some good young ppl from there) but I just noticed too strong of a correlation between their town and behavior to ignore when it came to these ppl. So yeah, I had to distance myself from that scene back in the day and glad I did. And I know the teens there today are different from the ones 5-15 years ago but the ppl that were teens back in the day are the same ones who are around the teens of today, influencing their environment and serving as their role-models so it’s a generational thing.

Last edited by HomeHunt82; 09-19-2019 at 06:07 AM..

Old 09-19-2019, 06:39 AM

2,607 posts, read 3,409,865 times
I was a teen on LI too in the early to mid 90s and these "wiggers" and gangs were all over the island, not just in the southwest Nassau area. They were in Planview, Syosset, Jericho amongst other neighborhoods. So it was not isolated to one area.
I hope they throw the book at the degenerate punk that stabbed this kid and suspend or expell all of the other punks that were recording while this kid was dying. Let the murderer rot in hell for most of his life.

Old 09-19-2019, 06:45 AM

87 posts, read 99,748 times
Horrible.

The media has it right, 50+ kids watched, took video and did nothing to help this kid. The owners and patrons in the stores also watched. I haven’t seen the video but have read no one helped until he was bleeding out. I also read you can see people watching from the stores and did nothing.

While I 100% agree to not physically get involved, the cops should have been called once a crowd formed.

Old 09-19-2019, 07:03 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,894,222 times
The cops were there within minutes. Kids were expecting a fair fight. The student was new to the district and couldn’t have any “close” friends. Everyone videos everything nowadays. People are judging this situation unfairly.

Old 09-19-2019, 07:04 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,894,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeHunt82 View Post
This is just my personal experience with the area so take it with a grain of salt. Maybe someone else’s experiences were completely different from mine and that’s okay:

First and foremost, my condolences to the victim. Nobody deserves to die that way.

Secondly, the Oceanside/Long Beach/Atlantic Beach area has always been known for unruly teens. I know most teens are knuckleheads wherever you go but they tend to be extra-chaotic in this part of Nassau.

When I was in my late teens/early 20’s, I was exposed to them a lot and most were either “wiggers” (not sure what they’re called now), drunks, druggies or embodiments of the Jersey Shore show that was popular at the time. They were the most misbehaved and had the worst personalities i’ve ever encountered. The ones from families with money were just as bad if not even worse. I’m in my late 20’s now to put things into perspective.

I’m usually not the type that judges people based on their town (and I’m sure there were some good young ppl from there) but I just noticed too strong of a correlation between their town and behavior to ignore when it came to these ppl. So yeah, I had to distance myself from that scene back in the day and glad I did. And I know the teens there today are different from the ones 5-15 years ago but the ppl that were teens back in the day are the same ones who are around the teens of today, influencing their environment and serving as their role-models so it’s a generational thing.
Where did you grow up?

Old 09-19-2019, 07:44 AM

2,457 posts, read 1,230,679 times
How long before someone complains about the term whigger?

Old 09-19-2019, 07:52 AM

87 posts, read 99,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
The cops were there within minutes. Kids were expecting a fair fight. The student was new to the district and couldn’t have any “close” friends. Everyone videos everything nowadays. People are judging this situation unfairly.
Yes the cops arrived quickly once they were called.

Just because everyone videos everything doesn’t make it ok, you still need to be a good human and have sympathy. I don’t think anyone should have tried to break up the fight and no one is.

Yes no one expected a knife. Not sure why any of the store owners weren’t upset and concerned with a mob forming outside their store.

This is a tragic situation from all angles. I would find it very interesting to hear from a parent whose child was actually was their and video taped this fight. So far everyone seems to be not my kid.

Old 09-19-2019, 07:58 AM

2,687 posts, read 2,338,862 times
Jerry, Elaine, George and Kramer got arrested for viewing a crime and not helping!

This was a HS fight over a girl, that turned into a beat down by multiple people then a stabbing. The stabber should get 30 to life. Your took a fight over a girl with fists and turned into a murder. The others that jumped in and beat this kid with fists and feet should all get 6 months to 5 years depending on what the video shows. The girl if she did set this up to make her ex jealous should see 2-5 years. No juvy BS all should be tried as adults.

I don't want to hear the stabber didn't mean to kill him, hes a good kid etc. Bottom line you stabbed someone they died. End of story 30 to life.

Old 09-19-2019, 08:05 AM

2,607 posts, read 3,409,865 times
The murderer looks like trash to me, he was probably on his way to jail:
https://scallywagandvagabond.com/201...tudent-murder/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island