Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 01:16 PM

91 posts, read 133,663 times

Advertisements

I've been renting for years in LI now and would like to buy a house but always hold myself back when I see how expensive they are and with most expensive property taxes. I would rather move out of LI to somewhere affordable but due to my work and family situation I have to be in LI for a while. Since its so expensive to rent, I guess buying a house makes more sense even though the prices make me feel paralyzed. I want to buy in Nassau county with above average schools ( Single income earner and I have a toddler).
Not sure how people afford with single income families here...
I request some suggestions regarding realtors, when is a good time to buy etc. with areas.
I'm looking at budget of $400k.... Bellmore, Woodbury, Syosset, Hicksville, Levittown, East Meadow, Melville, Huntington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2018, 02:42 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,338,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetlights99 View Post
I've been renting for years in LI now and would like to buy a house but always hold myself back when I see how expensive they are and with most expensive property taxes. I would rather move out of LI to somewhere affordable but due to my work and family situation I have to be in LI for a while. Since its so expensive to rent, I guess buying a house makes more sense even though the prices make me feel paralyzed. I want to buy in Nassau county with above average schools ( Single income earner and I have a toddler).
I request some suggestions regarding realtors, when is a good time to buy etc. with areas.
I'm looking at budget of $400k.... Bellmore, Woodbury, Syosset, Hicksville, Levittown, East Meadow, Melville, Huntington.
Are you serious? You better get a new list, Levittown can be had for under 400k the rest good luck. Go out to Commack you can at least get good schools and a decent house for your price. 400k in a town with a decent SD in Nassau is almost impossible.

Old 11-06-2018, 03:15 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,283,369 times
“On”.

Call a few realtors in the areas you are interested in and mention your budget.

Or look at Zillow for ideas.

Good luck.

Old 11-06-2018, 06:06 PM

20,953 posts, read 28,482,151 times
Most not all families are 2 income families. If you are lucky enough to have relatives who will watch your child then the expense of daycare is not needed. Most of the people I know with and without kids are 2 income families.

Old 11-06-2018, 06:13 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,329,185 times
You get more for your money in Suffolk.

Old 11-06-2018, 07:31 PM

111 posts, read 108,339 times
I know you said Nassau, but if you're willing to be open minded about going a little further east, try Islip.

Old 11-07-2018, 11:05 AM

376 posts, read 311,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
Are you serious? You better get a new list, Levittown can be had for under 400k the rest good luck. Go out to Commack you can at least get good schools and a decent house for your price. 400k in a town with a decent SD in Nassau is almost impossible.
To an extent. My sister is in contract on a house in Wantagh but she was looking in Levittown extensively as well. Anything under 400 needs major updating (basically the entire home) and they usually are owned by elderly people who have never grieved so taxes are an average of $13k.

The more updated homes in the low $400 range are usually regular small capes with no extensions or dormer and go over asking because buyers are looking for move in ready homes.

Old 11-07-2018, 11:10 AM

376 posts, read 311,745 times
Quote:

I don’t understand what you mean “not sure how single income families...” I never understood why people say that. Too many variables. A single earner came make more than two earners, etc. Also, just because there are 2 incomes in the household, who’s to say that it’s sufficient to afford a home.

Old 11-07-2018, 12:55 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,180,667 times
Quote:

Do yourself a favor and talk to an experienced loan officer. IMHO there is more flexibility if you're working with a Mortgage Banker than a big bank for whom mortgages is a sideline, not their primary business.

Until you know what you can afford with an estimated amount for real estate taxes, there is no sense looking. You may end up finding "the perfect house" (not likely in your stated price range with given locations anyway), only to find you can't get a mortgage you can afford

Old 11-07-2018, 01:31 PM

109 posts, read 96,799 times
You may find more affordable options in condos and co-ops or fixer uppers if you're handy. Real Estate taxes can be deducted on your tax return, now capped at 10K if you itemize. Any equity built up in your property can help you when you move off of LI if you plan to stay for 5 ish or more years otherwise any equity will be eaten up by buying and selling expenses. Hopefully your family can help somehow with childcare or maybe even a temporary place to stay so you can save more.

Best to find a realtor and mortgage broker to narrow down options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island