Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 01:46 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,388,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc_sport View Post
Wow. It did not ever occur to me that someone would voluntarily choose to live in a ranch, other than people seen on House Hunters.
LOL they are not that bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2018, 02:07 PM

166 posts, read 191,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
LOL they are not that bad.
obviously if you didnt care about looks from the outside, and you had an endless budget, you can make a 10,000 sq foot ranch that has tons of seperation of living and sleeping space and still never have to walk up stairs.

right now we are in 2,000 sq feet, but its not layed out perfectly. hard for someone to be up in the house and not wake everyone up.

With a better layout and 500 more sq feet, i think we would be able to make it a much more livable ranch, but we are leaning towards and will likely get the 2nd floor much bigger investment.

Old 08-10-2018, 03:08 PM

20,062 posts, read 20,877,739 times
I guess ranches are sub-par dwellings.
You know, for like the poor and low income deplorables.

Old 08-14-2018, 12:32 AM

1,775 posts, read 3,786,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc_sport View Post
Wow. It did not ever occur to me that someone would voluntarily choose to live in a ranch, other than people seen on House Hunters.
This such a shortsighted mentality. Our house is a ranch (expanded). We love it. We searched high and low for one, and turned down a colonial in Oceanside for our home. The big plus is not dealing with stairs (although we do have a finished basement but its only 12 steps).

Old 08-17-2018, 08:52 PM

89 posts, read 148,962 times
May have been addressed before...but I grew up in the NE US and multi-story row houses and twins were the norm. I moved down south about three years ago and single story ranch styles with or without garages are the norm. I never want to be in a multi-story home again. At 63 years of age, I'm thinking of the future ability of climbing stairs and the current peace and quiet not allowed in row homes.

Old 08-22-2018, 12:51 PM

59 posts, read 60,865 times
I use to love love love colonials (still kind of do). When my husband and I were looking for a house he wanted a ranch, i wanted a colonial. Our realtor took us to both and I realized that I actually loved the wide line ranches. After the first few houses we saw then we stuck to looking for a ranch. We finally bought a wide L shaped ranch and i LOVE it! I dont have to worry about stairs (makes moving furniture easier too). We use to live in a split and the temperature regulation in that house was terrible. So far our even with running the ac our electric bills have been pretty reasonable compared to the split and the colonial we had before that. We turn on the one wall AC in our family room and it actually cools down the whole house. Now that ive lived in a colonial, split, and wide ranch I have to say ranch wins by a mile.

Old 08-22-2018, 01:28 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,892,286 times
^ electric bill for a colonial doesn't have to be high either. You're basically only living on 1 floor at a time. We only have 1 zone on at a time - morning vs. night. We pay $100/mo. avg over a year for electric.

Old 08-22-2018, 02:03 PM

20,062 posts, read 20,877,739 times
Ding dongs.
People just need to be big shots.
Some really do NEED large homes because they have large families.
But really, is a 10000 square foot monstrosity necessary for an average family of 4?

Old 08-22-2018, 02:24 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,332,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dscotto183 View Post
I use to love love love colonials (still kind of do). When my husband and I were looking for a house he wanted a ranch, i wanted a colonial. Our realtor took us to both and I realized that I actually loved the wide line ranches. After the first few houses we saw then we stuck to looking for a ranch. We finally bought a wide L shaped ranch and i LOVE it! I dont have to worry about stairs (makes moving furniture easier too). We use to live in a split and the temperature regulation in that house was terrible. So far our even with running the ac our electric bills have been pretty reasonable compared to the split and the colonial we had before that. We turn on the one wall AC in our family room and it actually cools down the whole house. Now that ive lived in a colonial, split, and wide ranch I have to say ranch wins by a mile.
Colonials should have 2 separate zones each with there own unit for comfort and cost control.

Old 08-27-2018, 06:46 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,892,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Ding dongs.
People just need to be big shots.
Some really do NEED large homes because they have large families.
But really, is a 10000 square foot monstrosity necessary for an average family of 4?
Don't you have a large truck that you only make full use of less than 10% of the time?

The NEED argument is only for 3rd world countries. Around here, we work to earn money so we can enjoy our lives. Who wants to be in a 1300sf when we can do 3000sf - we earned it, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island