Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 03:58 AM

10 posts, read 9,196 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I’m looking for some advice. My husband and I recently fell in love with a house but there are a couple of things we’re concerned about. Work was done to the house a few years ago, and the COs were put in for but are not closed out yet. We would not be closing until they’re done (all parties agreed) but we’re concerned about taxes going up after they’re officially closed. We were told the house was assessed by the Town after the work was done, so the taxes have already been effected due to the work, but I’m wondering how it really works?

The other concern is that there is some noise in the backyard due to its proximity to the 135. It is noticeable, but doesn’t bother me and I feel if we’re out there with some music or even add some kind of water fountain, etc., it will not be an issue, but it bothers my husband. I’m looking for anyone’s thoughts on this. Many people that live in the area have said they don’t even notice it anymore, but obviously, we don’t want to make such a big decision and he regrets it. Any input is appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2018, 04:37 AM

33 posts, read 45,249 times
Contact the Nassau County Assessors office to see if the additions/alterations are already in the taxes. I can't say for certain but I think it would be reassessed after a CO is issued either way.

As for the noise, I live backed on to a main road. We moved here a year ago. Normal, every day traffic isn't an issue but Emergency Vehicles and loud motorcycles are loud! The typical traffic just blends into the background noise.

Old 06-26-2018, 07:16 AM

22,666 posts, read 36,779,658 times
1) The assessment issue is completely different from the CO issue. Your assessment is probably correct; when we renovated our LI house the assessors office came and did their thing and it was a few more years till we closed out the CO.

2) If the noise bothers your husband now, it will only get worse once you move in and it will become a point of contention between you (You're imagining it" "No I'm not"....."it's not that bad" "yes it is, it's driving me crazy").
Ask your husband point blank, is this a deal breaker for you, or can you live with it?

Old 06-26-2018, 08:33 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,326,998 times
The 135 is loud, the closest point to me is 3/4 mile it's a overpass and late at night when cars are going 100mph I can hear it with the windows open. I have been to many houses in Plainview and you can hear it If you back up to it. Question is can you hear it inside with the windows closed.

Old 06-26-2018, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabrina309 View Post
Contact the Nassau County Assessors office to see if the additions/alterations are already in the taxes. I can't say for certain but I think it would be reassessed after a CO is issued either way.

As for the noise, I live backed on to a main road. We moved here a year ago. Normal, every day traffic isn't an issue but Emergency Vehicles and loud motorcycles are loud! The typical traffic just blends into the background noise.
Thank you, I will find out specifically which COs were put in for and call the assessor’s office.

Old 06-26-2018, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
1) The assessment issue is completely different from the CO issue. Your assessment is probably correct; when we renovated our LI house the assessors office came and did their thing and it was a few more years till we closed out the CO.

2) If the noise bothers your husband now, it will only get worse once you move in and it will become a point of contention between you (You're imagining it" "No I'm not"....."it's not that bad" "yes it is, it's driving me crazy").
Ask your husband point blank, is this a deal breaker for you, or can you live with it?
Thank you for responding. I’m in 100% agreement about making sure he would be okay with it first. After you closed out the COs, did your taxes go up significantly? I know to expect them to continue to go up regardless, especially since the house is zoned for a very good school district, but we don’t want to be caught off guard with a significant jump.

Old 06-26-2018, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
The 135 is loud, the closest point to me is 3/4 mile it's a overpass and late at night when cars are going 100mph I can hear it with the windows open. I have been to many houses in Plainview and you can hear it If you back up to it. Question is can you hear it inside with the windows closed.
The noise is there, it just doesn’t bother me. I have been in the house with the windows open and closed and have not heard any noise whatsoever in the house itself.

Old 06-26-2018, 09:44 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,326,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndc850 View Post
Thank you for responding. I’m in 100% agreement about making sure he would be okay with it first. After you closed out the COs, did your taxes go up significantly? I know to expect them to continue to go up regardless, especially since the house is zoned for a very good school district, but we don’t want to be caught off guard with a significant jump.
Very good SD in Oyster bay near 135, It's Syosset or Plainview. Both places the taxes suck, I would prepare for a decent Oyster Bay hike this year or next, last year was a slight decrease because it was an election year. C\O's take time I ended up not needing to get one, our buyer took the credit and ignored it. The town told me 3 months from application before they come to look at an existing structure.

Old 06-26-2018, 01:25 PM

20,026 posts, read 20,835,571 times
Check with the town on the taxes and permit stuff.
Park on the street at various times of the day and listen to the road noise and make sure it is something you can live with. Otherwise you'll be back on this forum complaining about the noise and asking for advise on what to do about it and then you'll be met with snarky and obnoxious commentary.

Old 06-26-2018, 02:51 PM

21 posts, read 21,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndc850 View Post
Hi all, I’m looking for some advice. My husband and I recently fell in love with a house but there are a couple of things we’re concerned about. Work was done to the house a few years ago, and the COs were put in for but are not closed out yet. We would not be closing until they’re done (all parties agreed) but we’re concerned about taxes going up after they’re officially closed. We were told the house was assessed by the Town after the work was done, so the taxes have already been effected due to the work, but I’m wondering how it really works?

The other concern is that there is some noise in the backyard due to its proximity to the 135. It is noticeable, but doesn’t bother me and I feel if we’re out there with some music or even add some kind of water fountain, etc., it will not be an issue, but it bothers my husband. I’m looking for anyone’s thoughts on this. Many people that live in the area have said they don’t even notice it anymore, but obviously, we don’t want to make such a big decision and he regrets it. Any input is appreciated! Thanks!
Our house was right up against 135...coming from Queens, we actually appreciated the noise...if the block was pin-drop quiet, you'd hear your neighbor's dog from 2 blocks away at 2AM...the white noise drowned everything out. It was also great when we wanted to entertain...we had our music blasting in the yard past midnight on weekends and no one could hear it...

HOWEVER...when we went to sell...

We did a lot of upgrades and our house was as close to perfect as could be, but we had several slam dunk buyers walk away because of the highway. It took us nearly 4 months to sell and we let it go for $30K below original asking price.

For that reason, I would never do it again....

Another thing to watch out for regarding the taxes..homeowners can elect to take a staggered increase of their taxes when they renovate...for example, let's say your assessment went up from 600 to 800 because of the reno. The homeowner has the option to gradually increase that over a set amount of years instead of getting blasted the first year.... you'll want to do your due diligence to make sure the house's current assessment isn't set to increase every year for the next several....

Last edited by Former LIer; 06-26-2018 at 03:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: