Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2020, 06:27 AM

919 posts, read 567,885 times

Advertisements

It's a reason that talented young people who can leave LI do leave LI. That's been going on for over 40 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2020, 07:25 AM

19,269 posts, read 17,143,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe461 View Post
Very few, if any, compare to an Island that has limited access points and requires travel through one of the largest and most densely populated cities in the country. Long Island is a unique situation.

You are looking for a reason that no one can give. There is not one, simple reason to be had. "If you build it, MegaCorp will move their world HQ here and create 100,000 jobs!" doesn't exist. It doesn't exist anywhere. The fact remains that people on LI are essentially trapped and people not on LI avoid coming here because of the bottleneck that is NYC roads. It's thousands of small things that add up to the need for better access on/off LI. This also affects both cost and availability of goods shipped in from other areas.

A few years back there was (unrealistic) talk of building a NASCAR track in eastern LI. I won't debate whether or not that idea has merit (not the point). The thing is that such an idea is a complete non-starter because of the access problem.

Completely different point, and one on which we agree. It is a 100% political issue.

There's an idea. Everyone should move. Why haven't the 8 million or so of us thought of that?

That move would be so much easier if we didn't have to sit on the Cross-Bronx Expressway to go 10 miles in 2 hours. Nothing wrong with wanting to improve your home. Running away isn't always a good solution.
This is becoming like the 150+ page posting about the airport that is not going to be moved. You completely understand why things are the way they are and that the chance of a link being built in this century are near nil. So speculating what if, if only, but it really would be nice won't move anything forward you as any other resident need to decide if this is a significant enough issue to relocate over.

On another note it has been alleged that the Cross Bronx Expressway is actually one of the seven rings of hell....

Old 10-02-2020, 08:39 AM

4,534 posts, read 8,349,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
This is becoming like the 150+ page posting about the airport that is not going to be moved. You completely understand why things are the way they are and that the chance of a link being built in this century are near nil. So speculating what if, if only, but it really would be nice won't move anything forward you as any other resident need to decide if this is a significant enough issue to relocate over.

On another note it has been alleged that the Cross Bronx Expressway is actually one of the seven rings of hell....

Wait. You mean they're not going to move the airport that I just moved next to recently because its too loud for me and they're not going to widen the Cross Bronx?? Why not???

Old 10-02-2020, 08:44 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,545,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post

My original post was in response to your assertion that any such bridge/tunnel would serve no useful purpose. Ironically, your posts - which triggered by responses - are helping this thread towards 150+ pages. If you don't want the answer, don't ask the question.

Using your above logic, this entire forum shouldn't exist. Almost all threads are speculation on things that will never happen or people looking for answers that can easily be obtained from the source with a simple google search.

"Never" is a big word. One way to make sure something (no matter how improbable) will happen is to not ask for it or discuss it.

Old 10-02-2020, 03:21 PM

615 posts, read 449,717 times
This will not happen. The idea that Moses had could of worked then but not now.

All levels of gov't are broke...town, county, state, federal. The only thing keeping this nation going is the national credit card, that is, more money printing and more and more debt . The financial house of cards must and will collapse.

I'm in my 50's and hope it's not in my lifetime. Keep kicking that can down the road, even though it's getting heavier and heavier. See, I'm as selfish as everyone else.

The era of massive new infrastructure building is over. The US can barely maintain its existing infrastructure.
Anyway, a new Hudson rail tunnel would take priority over this new LI bridge/tunnel to the mainland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island