Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 09:13 PM

24,130 posts, read 32,529,961 times

Advertisements

We just watched the WLIR documentary on Showtime - "New Wave: Dare to Be Different".

We thought it was well done, and we felt more than a little nostalgic for the late, great and award winning 1980s radio station that broke with the status quo.

I only knew WLIR as a kind of soppy, unimpressive, local radio station until a friend of mine, who was the lead singer for the Ramones, called me to tell me about this amazing Long Island radio station. This was in early 1982. I was incredulous. WLIR had been mediocre at best - but not it was playing NEW MUSIC?

I was hooked the minute I tuned in to 92.7 WLIR.

Some bands I learned of were Joy Division, New Order, The Cure, OMD, The Smiths, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Maneuvers in the Dark, The Psychedelic Furs, and so much more.

I was pretty religious about WLIR. My VW bug had "WLIR DARE to Be Different" bumper stickers. I always voted for "Screamer of the Week".

We went to the clubs that advertised on WLIR.

Please share your WLIR Memories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2018, 10:34 PM
Q44

894 posts, read 1,031,831 times
Wait, are you saying your friend was the lead singer of the Ramones (Joey?) AND your name on C-D is "Sheena"

Is there more to this story???

Also you mention OMD and Orchestral Maneuvers in the Dark.

This was a fun time for music. I remember going to clubs like CBGB's and listening to college radio that was playing this kind of music, saw Talking Heads at Queens College, etc. WLIR/WDRE took it to the burbs and made it mainstream along with the original real MTV. My wife who was my girlfriend at the time was a top 40 pop fan until I took her to see Depeche Mode and OMD and B-52's . . .

The FB page for WLIR is pretty good, lots of folks post videos of their favorite tunes and clips from concerts for bands that are touring again. It was definitely a Long Island thing too.

Last edited by Q44; 04-04-2018 at 10:35 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 04-05-2018, 05:59 AM

20,093 posts, read 20,903,532 times
Listen to First Wave on Sirius. Good stuff.

Old 04-05-2018, 06:07 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,274,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Listen to First Wave on Sirius. Good stuff.
I was about to say the same thing. Plus Classic Rewind and the 80’s on 8.

Old 04-05-2018, 07:36 AM

5,532 posts, read 7,123,271 times
Did anyone hang out in Spit, Spize or Paris NY?

I miss my maroon parachute pants

Old 04-05-2018, 07:51 AM

20,945 posts, read 28,468,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post

I used to go spit but I remember when it was uncle Sam's. I feel old

Old 04-05-2018, 07:55 AM

20,945 posts, read 28,468,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
We just watched the WLIR documentary on Showtime - "New Wave: Dare to Be Different".

We thought it was well done, and we felt more than a little nostalgic for the late, great and award winning 1980s radio station that broke with the status quo.

I only knew WLIR as a kind of soppy, unimpressive, local radio station until a friend of mine, who was the lead singer for the Ramones, called me to tell me about this amazing Long Island radio station. This was in early 1982. I was incredulous. WLIR had been mediocre at best - but not it was playing NEW MUSIC?

I was hooked the minute I tuned in to 92.7 WLIR.

Some bands I learned of were Joy Division, New Order, The Cure, OMD, The Smiths, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Maneuvers in the Dark, The Psychedelic Furs, and so much more.

I was pretty religious about WLIR. My VW bug had "WLIR DARE to Be Different" bumper stickers. I always voted for "Screamer of the Week".

We went to the clubs that advertised on WLIR.

Please share your WLIR Memories.
At the time when WLIR was popular I never into that kind of music. I was more into free style and disco. I remember going to Malibu beach club on Saturday nights in the 1990's and then hearing Depeche mode, OMD, new order and then really liking it and dancing to it. Now I like both types of music. Didn't know the Ramones too well back in the day.

Old 04-05-2018, 11:06 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,744,094 times
Caught the program Friday night and waxed nostalgic through the weekend. I graduated HS right before LIR made the format change. I would catch tidbits of the coming wave from the NYC stations when they weren't playing ZeppelinStonesBeatlesWho. Once LIR made the switch, I was hooked.

Spit, Spize, Spanky's, Malibu were my favorite club destinations.

Old 04-05-2018, 11:07 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,744,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post

Spit and Spize.

Old 04-05-2018, 12:16 PM

2,606 posts, read 3,407,510 times
These threads just make me depressed. There were so many places to go out back in the 90's. All of those places are gone now. Why did they shut down all these places? Who is at fault for this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island