Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2018, 03:10 PM

19,220 posts, read 17,105,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
They are not allowed in your house. They can go to your front door that is it. They will use google earth or do flyover for illegal extensions decks and pool. I was told not sure how "true" it is. If you have a awesome exterior they will assume your inside is amazing and tax you more. I was told this 3 years ago hence why I have marble in 1/2 my house and the original 1955 concrete driveway and walkway.
Time to break out the camouflage netting to hide the improvements...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2018, 05:25 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,775,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Basically sounds like a big reset button over all the grievances and nothing more. I doubt they are going front door to front door. Also, Google Maps still has images of our house from too long ago.
Just heard from a friend of mine who is a real estate attorney that Nassau is pushing to include in the state budget a law that will make it so that if your property taxes are within 5% of where it should be you can’t grieve. So we may in fact see a change.

Old 03-30-2018, 07:31 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,775,033 times
And here it is...

https://www.newsday.com/long-island/...xes-1.17743654

Old 03-30-2018, 12:49 PM

305 posts, read 196,360 times
Default So how is property assessed in

other states?

Why do we have to re-invent the wheel. Seems to me there should be some equitable way to do this.

Perhaps, instead of teachers negotiating on a district by district basis there ought to be a state-wide salary system with locality pay for higher cost areas. - -

OOOPS, i live in Farmingdale--the voters just approved an aquatic center. (hear the Massapequa not too far behind in that regard)

So that rest of school districts in NYS are not penalized for our stupidy on Long Island with each district with multiple Superintendents for each district with multi-million dollar staffs, as well as ridiculous salary structures.

Of course, that is to include our ridiculously paid NCPD salaries and benefits

Old 03-30-2018, 01:43 PM

22,193 posts, read 19,476,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
It will or it wont. There is no magic ball.
Depending on the outcome of the Nassau reassessment there could be some problems.
Taxes aint gonna go down, that's for certain. Especially in a strong market.
Back in 99 or 00, whenever Suozzi implemented the last great property tax reform, I was nearly crippled financially.
My taxes TRIPLED. Was not prepared for that. I purchased my home based upon what my salary could afford.
My salary couldn't afford triple taxes and what ended up being my monthly mortgage payment doubling.
So, grabbing the popcorn. See how this works out.
The property tax you are referring to actually pre-dated Suozzi (he took office in 2002) and was from a court case to make home assessments more in line with the value of the home. The system in place prior wasn't changed since 1938 and there was little connection between the home value and the assessed value.

There was another property tax plan put in place by the soon to be jailed Mangano early in his administration. The whole assessment freeze property tax relief gimmick. This is where things really turned and all the assessment groups came along with their big $$ political donations. The more screwed up Nassau's assessment system got, the more $$ these companies made. The more $$ they made the more $$ they donated to Mangano and company, and the more $$ Mangano and company got as a result the less of a chance they were going to do something to fix the problem.

Obviously at this point we do not know all the specifics of the new plan and there will likely be some good and bad to it. The caps remaining in place to prevent the assessment from rising too much too quick is a good thing to prevent sticker shock from those who were grieving. I'm sure there will be some problems with the re-assessment, nothing is going to be full-proof and even the best intended plan could have issues. However, the current system is so badly broken we needed a major change. It shouldn't come down to if you grieve or don't grieve or worse yet if you grieve through a politically corrected company or not.

Old 03-30-2018, 01:46 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,892,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Just heard from a friend of mine who is a real estate attorney that Nassau is pushing to include in the state budget a law that will make it so that if your property taxes are within 5% of where it should be you can’t grieve. So we may in fact see a change.
Now the question is - where should the assessment figures be? Say the total pool for the town needs to be $1mil. Is every single home with matching specs going to have an equally responsible % of that number? Heard of many cases where 2 neighboring houses pay substantially different amounts, due to grieving. But what sets that new baseline, and how accurate can that possibly be if there's a % cap increase in place?

Old 03-30-2018, 04:56 PM

194 posts, read 168,399 times
Some more insight

https://www.facebook.com/Assemblyman...hxeEZMzb-_csNY

Old 03-30-2018, 04:58 PM

Found this as well

StopHighTaxes

Old 03-30-2018, 06:20 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,522,415 times
This new county executive is 2/2 on stupid new taxes so far. Keep it up, witch!

Old 03-30-2018, 06:26 PM

I voted for Martins. Just sayin...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: