Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 10:10 AM

246 posts, read 433,864 times

Advertisements

This is pretty random but I was wondering if there are any laws regulating how much junk one can have in their car. I was nearly hit by one of these mobile hoarders today which is what got me thinking about it.

The car today was just filled to the roof with all sorts of garbage which was clearly impeding the driver's view (which is why I was thinking there may be some kind of law about this - maybe not relating to junk specifically but to driving without clear site lines). I wonder if a cop would stop a car such as this and cite them. As I was able to get around this car today, I noticed in my rear view mirror that their dashboard was also full of junk which was falling down and the driver was trying to push it back up as she was driving. It's just an accident waiting to happen.

It's not something I've seen often, but it's definitely not the first such car I've seen. Anyone else seen people like this on the road?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2018, 10:33 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,927,087 times
There used to be a guy like that in Setauket. Older car, filled to the brim. Just enough room for him to get into the driver's seat. Hoarder on wheels. It is my understanding that his house was also filled with garbage.

Old 03-27-2018, 10:37 AM

13,078 posts, read 18,400,778 times
It is covered under the NYS motor vehicle law and up to the police to enforce.

Old 03-27-2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
There used to be a guy like that in Setauket. Older car, filled to the brim. Just enough room for him to get into the driver's seat. Hoarder on wheels. It is my understanding that his house was also filled with garbage.
Yeah, I have to imagine that anyone with a car looking like that has a house to match.

Old 03-28-2018, 06:51 AM

5,573 posts, read 7,199,086 times
Unless they're living in their car.

Old 03-28-2018, 07:26 AM

20,319 posts, read 21,279,516 times
"Obstruction of view"
Totally covered under NYS law.
Totally not worth a cop being bothered with it as a primary offense.
They wont pull over someone doing 87 on the LIE you think theyre gonna bother stopping someone with a car filled with junk?

It would be possible that if the driver were speeding drunk while waving an AR-15 out the window that the officer may write him a ticket for that along with the other charges just to be a dick but it wouldnt matter anyway because it would be dropped in a plea deal anyway.

Old 03-28-2018, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
"Obstruction of view"
Totally covered under NYS law.
Totally not worth a cop being bothered with it as a primary offense.
They wont pull over someone doing 87 on the LIE you think theyre gonna bother stopping someone with a car filled with junk?

It would be possible that if the driver were speeding drunk while waving an AR-15 out the window that the officer may write him a ticket for that along with the other charges just to be a dick but it wouldnt matter anyway because it would be dropped in a plea deal anyway.
Yeah, that sounds about right.

Old 03-30-2018, 07:50 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,606,045 times
Funny just saw one of the "garbage cars" you are speaking of.

No way she could see out of anything but the drivers side door and the front windshield.

The car itself was fairly new.....crazy.

Old 03-30-2018, 09:08 AM

I wonder what happens when they take these cars in to get inspected. I'm guessing they don't clean them out first. I suppose garbage in the car isn't an official reason to fail them. Which is actually kind of ridiculous since they can get you for much less dangerous offenses.

Old 03-30-2018, 09:12 AM

20,319 posts, read 21,279,516 times
Maybe they are just moving?
I've always moved using our personal trucks and cars.
Never rented anything.
Had a few Sanford & Son trips over the years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island