Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 09:10 PM

973 posts, read 1,409,076 times

Advertisements

This is probably the worst thread in the history of this board. There is very little that is accurate. Monstermagnet has been the worst offender. The term moving violation is slang. It generally is used, in NY, to describe non-criminal violations of the VTL that charge a person with regard to their active use of a motor vehicle. These offense are never prosecuted in County Court, unless they are charged in an indictment along with criminal offenses deriving from the same incident - something that never happens. Instead, in most areas of the state, moving violations are prosecuted in town and village courts. In some areas they are prosecuted at TVB - traffic violations bureau. On LI they may be prosecuted in District Courts for areas that are covered by same, but I am unsure of this. They are not prosecuted in either Nassau County Court or Suffolk County Court absent the very limited exception noted above.

Regarding plea bargaining and what is listed on a DMV abstract, convictions to vtl 1201a, which is a parking ticket, do not appear. Also, it is entirely possible, and indeed common, in many courts for a speeding ticket or any so called moving violation to be bargained down to a no point non moving violation, even to a 1201a. Note that this won’t happen in a TVB as they don’t permit plea bargaining there. At least insofar as the ones in NYC are concerned.

The amount of misinformation in this thread is staggering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2018, 12:42 PM

2,589 posts, read 1,824,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 987ABC View Post
This is probably the worst thread in the history of this board. There is very little that is accurate. Monstermagnet has been the worst offender. The term moving violation is slang. It generally is used, in NY, to describe non-criminal violations of the VTL that charge a person with regard to their active use of a motor vehicle. These offense are never prosecuted in County Court, unless they are charged in an indictment along with criminal offenses deriving from the same incident - something that never happens. Instead, in most areas of the state, moving violations are prosecuted in town and village courts. In some areas they are prosecuted at TVB - traffic violations bureau. On LI they may be prosecuted in District Courts for areas that are covered by same, but I am unsure of this. They are not prosecuted in either Nassau County Court or Suffolk County Court absent the very limited exception noted above.

Regarding plea bargaining and what is listed on a DMV abstract, convictions to vtl 1201a, which is a parking ticket, do not appear. Also, it is entirely possible, and indeed common, in many courts for a speeding ticket or any so called moving violation to be bargained down to a no point non moving violation, even to a 1201a. Note that this won’t happen in a TVB as they don’t permit plea bargaining there. At least insofar as the ones in NYC are concerned.

The amount of misinformation in this thread is staggering.
Right, so I guess the 1000+ people at the Nassau Violations bureau (ie Court, run by Nassau COUNTY, reporting to the DMV, run by the STATE) this morning waiting for a) plea deals or b) go to trials or c) prove repairs w/ receipts were all a mirage. And they could have all gone to Lake Success or the other mystical jurisdictions instead of 16 Cooper St as printed on their summons. I stand corrected once again.

What's funniest is 9 people who made pleas in front of me for driving infractions all pled down to "JAYWALKING" for $150 fine and 0 points. Jaywalking?! Couldn't they come up with something more fitting? Is this LA?! Who jaywalks on Long Island!?!? It's a neat little revenue stream we've got going. Holding people over a barrel for cash to avoid points.

Old 02-20-2018, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
Right, so I guess the 1000+ people at the Nassau Violations bureau (ie Court, run by Nassau COUNTY, reporting to the DMV, run by the STATE) this morning waiting for a) plea deals or b) go to trials or c) prove repairs w/ receipts were all a mirage. And they could have all gone to Lake Success or the other mystical jurisdictions instead of 16 Cooper St as printed on their summons. I stand corrected once again.

What's funniest is 9 people who made pleas in front of me for driving infractions all pled down to "JAYWALKING" for $150 fine and 0 points. Jaywalking?! Couldn't they come up with something more fitting? Is this LA?! Who jaywalks on Long Island!?!? It's a neat little revenue stream we've got going. Holding people over a barrel for cash to avoid points.
You are either a troll, or just grossly misinformed, so I really should just ignore you, but for the benefit of others who read this board, I will respond. As an aside, invoking sarcasm when you are dead wrong is not a positive personality trait.
The Nassau County Traffic and Parking Violations Agency has been created by statute to adjudicate traffic matters (non criminal) that have occurred in Nassau County, except for those that have occurred within the Village of Lake Success as they maintain their own court. If there are other villages in Nassau that maintain their own court than traffic matters (non criminal) occurring within those villages would also go to the village court for that Village. A simple concept that you are missing is that persons charged with non criminal traffic tickets can not forum shop. Their ticket can be adjudicated in only one place, and that is determined by where the offense occurred. So in your misinformed attempt at sarcasm, the people waiting at the Nassau TVPA have no choice but to deal with that agency. This is because their offense occurred within Nassau County, but not within Lake Success or any other village in Nassau that may have their own court. Had their offense occurred in the Village of Lake Success than that is where they would go instead. Had it occurred in the Village of Nyack they would be going to that Village's court. Had it occured in the Town of North Castle they would be going to that Town's Court. I can assure you that these courts are not mythical. They are very very real. And there are many of them throughout NYS.
Also note that the Nassau TPVA is an adjunct of the Nassau County District Court. This just means that it derives its jurisdiction from the District Court. The Nassau County District Court is NOT the same thing as the Nassau County Court. They are two different courts. As I noted in my previous post, in the regular course of events, traffic violations (non criminal) are not prosecuted in County Court anywhere in the state. Your insistence that they are is baffling. Nor is the Nassau County District Court governed by Nassau County government. It is administered, instead, by OCA, which is short for NYS Office of Court Administration. Nor is it run by DMV, as you also insist.
Nearly everything you have said in this thread is wrong. So please stop posting.

Old 02-20-2018, 03:24 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,961,031 times

Old 02-20-2018, 03:51 PM

Quote:
You are either a troll, or just grossly misinformed, so I really should just ignore you, but for the benefit of others who read this board, I will respond. As an aside, invoking sarcasm when you are dead wrong is not a positive personality trait.
The Nassau County Traffic and Parking Violations Agency has been created by statute to adjudicate traffic matters (non criminal) that have occurred in Nassau County, except for those that have occurred within the Village of Lake Success as they maintain their own court. If there are other villages in Nassau that maintain their own court than traffic matters (non criminal) occurring within those villages would also go to the village court for that Village. A simple concept that you are missing is that persons charged with non criminal traffic tickets can not forum shop. Their ticket can be adjudicated in only one place, and that is determined by where the offense occurred. So in your misinformed attempt at sarcasm, the people waiting at the Nassau TVPA have no choice but to deal with that agency. This is because their offense occurred within Nassau County, but not within Lake Success or any other village in Nassau that may have their own court. Had their offense occurred in the Village of Lake Success than that is where they would go instead. Had it occurred in the Village of Nyack they would be going to that Village's court. Had it occured in the Town of North Castle they would be going to that Town's Court. I can assure you that these courts are not mythical. They are very very real. And there are many of them throughout NYS.
Also note that the Nassau TPVA is an adjunct of the Nassau County District Court. This just means that it derives its jurisdiction from the District Court. The Nassau County District Court is NOT the same thing as the Nassau County Court. They are two different courts. As I noted in my previous post, in the regular course of events, traffic violations (non criminal) are not prosecuted in County Court anywhere in the state. Your insistence that they are is baffling. Nor is the Nassau County District Court governed by Nassau County government. It is administered, instead, by OCA, which is short for NYS Office of Court Administration. Nor is it run by DMV, as you also insist.
Nearly everything you have said in this thread is wrong. So please stop posting.
You're a legend in your own hand. The OP asked if a no point ticket shows up on your record. I said it was an abstract and yes. How it turned into a kokonutty-puff fest where you (both) decided to attack me (as if I really give a rat's behind about this subject), with your holier than thou authoritative diatribe on the courts, which not only just proved more confusing, but is way off the original topic. So I concede and beg mercy, you guys win. I pled down my ticket, paid my fine (in Hempstead, at the address on the summons, with 100's of other unwashed and misinformed scofflaws) and am moving on. I'll leave if for you legislative superstars to handle it from here. Consider me chastised. I'll be over here, having a beer with my tail between my legs, for having disseminated inaccurate info on LICD!! I'm not worthy of such an accurate and informative forum. Oh, the shame I feel. yawn

Old 02-20-2018, 05:07 PM

Old 02-20-2018, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
You're a legend in your own hand. The OP asked if a no point ticket shows up on your record. I said it was an abstract and yes. How it turned into a kokonutty-puff fest where you (both) decided to attack me (as if I really give a rat's behind about this subject), with your holier than thou authoritative diatribe on the courts, which not only just proved more confusing, but is way off the original topic. So I concede and beg mercy, you guys win. I pled down my ticket, paid my fine (in Hempstead, at the address on the summons, with 100's of other unwashed and misinformed scofflaws) and am moving on. I'll leave if for you legislative superstars to handle it from here. Consider me chastised. I'll be over here, having a beer with my tail between my legs, for having disseminated inaccurate info on LICD!! I'm not worthy of such an accurate and informative forum. Oh, the shame I feel. yawn
If you don’t give a rats ass, than why did you post multiple times? Your even wrong about what you claim is the sole topic of discussion - many no point ticket convictions don’t appear on a DMV abstract. And just like nearly every discussion amongst human beings, this one expanded beyond the original question, in large part because you, as a participant in the discussion, pontificated on matters tangential to the original question. And by and large you talked out of your ass about things you obviously know little about. And you did so in a mean spirited and sarcastic way when you were corrected. But yet you now want to play the victim card. Your just a bully who got can’t take it when it’s your turn to get beat up.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:25 PM

Old 02-20-2018, 06:54 PM

20,926 posts, read 28,397,897 times
Pidge I love your posts! Classic

Old 02-20-2018, 08:00 PM

Quote:
If you don’t give a rats ass, than why did you post multiple times? Your even wrong about what you claim is the sole topic of discussion - many no point ticket convictions don’t appear on a DMV abstract. And just like nearly every discussion amongst human beings, this one expanded beyond the original question, in large part because you, as a participant in the discussion, pontificated on matters tangential to the original question. And by and large you talked out of your ass about things you obviously know little about. And you did so in a mean spirited and sarcastic way when you were corrected. But yet you now want to play the victim card. Your just a bully who got can’t take it when it’s your turn to get beat up.
Beat up?! Ha, if no one's been booted off LICDF, it isn't even a slap fight. Just a grandiose lecture from one who takes himself way too seriously. Oh mercy already. You win.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island