Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 07:39 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,250,028 times

Advertisements

I am in sales and mostly work in Manhattan (3 days a week on average, the other days I work from home). I do just fine and I know plenty of others like me that do the same. My commute is less than an hour door to door and as much as I sometimes hate the LIRR, most of the time it is fine and I have an empty seat next to me on the way in and on the way home. NYC will always provide more, and better, opportunities overall regardless of your field - you just have to be willing to make that commute and maybe live close enough where the trip isn't brutal.

Of the people I know that work just on LI they are Electricians, Teachers, Business Owners, Retail workers, Sales, Contractors, CPA's, Title Insurance, Real Estate etc and most do well enough to enjoy a nice living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2018, 10:02 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,913,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post

Of the people I know that work just on LI they are Electricians, Teachers, Business Owners, Retail workers, Sales, Contractors, CPA's, Title Insurance, Real Estate etc and most do well enough to enjoy a nice living.
..Kmart and JcPenny must be paying good these days!

Old 02-03-2018, 01:57 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,257,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blernard View Post
Are you a CPA or eligible to sit for the CPA? If so and you can't get a job I'd be shocked in this market. Worst case, look in NYC.
I have my CPA license. It's not so much that i can't find a job, it's that I'm not even seeing anything worth applying to. Everything is for a lower salary than what I make now or, like people have said, it's in the city, and I'm not commuting to the city.

Old 02-03-2018, 05:39 PM

77 posts, read 192,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
I have my CPA license. It's not so much that i can't find a job, it's that I'm not even seeing anything worth applying to. Everything is for a lower salary than what I make now or, like people have said, it's in the city, and I'm not commuting to the city.
What kind of CPA job are you looking for? What's your background?

Old 02-04-2018, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLemon View Post
What kind of CPA job are you looking for? What's your background?
I did 3 years in public accounting, now I'm an assistant controller for a company and have been there for a few years. But time to move on so I can get more experience. But there's really nothing out there. A lot of positions I see say assistant controller or accounting manager but then the pay is like $75k and that's too low.

Old 02-05-2018, 01:53 PM

245 posts, read 320,421 times
Quote:
I did 3 years in public accounting, now I'm an assistant controller for a company and have been there for a few years. But time to move on so I can get more experience. But there's really nothing out there. A lot of positions I see say assistant controller or accounting manager but then the pay is like $75k and that's too low.
You'd be at $100k+ in NYC. I know you don't want to commute, but lots of companies are embracing flexible schedules and working from home. Are you sure you don't want to look there?

Old 02-05-2018, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blernard View Post
You'd be at $100k+ in NYC. I know you don't want to commute, but lots of companies are embracing flexible schedules and working from home. Are you sure you don't want to look there?
I wish there was a way to see if the company offers telecommuting 1-2 days a week but there isn't. The only way I know of is to search Craigslist and click the "telecommuting" check box which will filter it. But very little jobs are posted on Craigslist. Otherwise, it's a total shot in the dark. It's hard to apply and then immediately ask "do you offer work from home/flexible schedules"... so I'm at a loss.

Old 02-05-2018, 03:18 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,285,788 times
Quote:
I wish there was a way to see if the company offers telecommuting 1-2 days a week but there isn't. The only way I know of is to search Craigslist and click the "telecommuting" check box which will filter it. But very little jobs are posted on Craigslist. Otherwise, it's a total shot in the dark. It's hard to apply and then immediately ask "do you offer work from home/flexible schedules"... so I'm at a loss.
Craigslist? Do reputable companies really post there for professional positions? Do you use LinkedIn at all?

Old 02-05-2018, 03:24 PM

20,144 posts, read 20,937,684 times
White collar problems.

Old 02-06-2018, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Craigslist? Do reputable companies really post there for professional positions? Do you use LinkedIn at all?
No they don't lol. Hence my problem. I was just saying that the ONLY way i know of to see if telecommute is available is Craigslist but nothing reputable is even posted on Craigslist. I do use linkedin. I see jobs posted all the time for NYC but again, they don't say if they offer flex or work from home arrangements. That's why I have considered NYC out of my search parameters because I don't want to commute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
White collar problems.
I know. I feel ridiculous even posting about this. I just wanted to know if anyone who is looking for a job recently, in any industry, has felt like it's slim pickings out there or if they are finding a lot of positions posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island