Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 02:03 PM

3 posts, read 2,865 times

Advertisements

why do i always have to do the back flow test while my neighbor does not? We both use the sprinkler.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2017, 02:07 PM

13,057 posts, read 18,133,701 times
Depends upon when he put it in. If it was installed prior to the BFV adoption by the water district then he is free of it via grandfather clause.

Old 05-04-2017, 02:34 PM

783 posts, read 1,424,605 times
Is the town aware he has a sprinkler system?

Old 05-04-2017, 04:22 PM

40 posts, read 65,387 times
I screwed my self by asking the town to come out an fix a broken meter which was there responsibility, however in doing so they found out by my sprinkler system and like you I have been paying every year for this back flow test. One of two things either the town doesn't know he has a system or your neighbor has a pvb system it cost about 500 bucks the town even send you a letter describing this system. If you install it you won't need to do the back flow test anymore. PS don't be a snitch and rat your neighbor out.

Old 05-05-2017, 08:28 AM

When I lived on LI my next door neighbor and I both had sprinklers. The only difference was that his was installed before that BFV clause was put into the rules and therefore he never needed to do the annual test as I did. I use to live in the TNH but this varies by water district.

Old 05-06-2017, 06:15 AM

184 posts, read 234,218 times
So if you have a sprinkler system you have to do a back flow test annually? How much does the test cost?

The house we bought has a sprinkler system but now needs to be replaced after all the construction. We don't know whether ToNH knows about it or not. Maybe we're better off without it.

Old 05-06-2017, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodi View Post
So if you have a sprinkler system you have to do a back flow test annually? How much does the test cost?

The house we bought has a sprinkler system but now needs to be replaced after all the construction. We don't know whether ToNH knows about it or not. Maybe we're better off without it.
It is actually not the town rather the water district that you need to report the results to. The annual test was $65 via my sprinkler company, J & A. What you need to do is call the district either way and find out what the regulations are, your system may be old and not requiring a test or your district may not require one. Best to call because they have been known to ticket for failure to comply income water districts.

Old 05-07-2017, 01:58 AM

40 posts, read 65,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodi View Post

I wouldn't contact the water district if you don't plan on using the system, however if you do decide to get a new system, have the installers installed a pressure vacuum breaker. In doing so you won't have to get the back flow test every year. Also I ran my system for years without any problems until I told on my self. No one on your block will know who gets a back flow test or not. But if you want no issues with the district get the pvb,it will void the yearly back flow test.

Old 05-07-2017, 05:04 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,776,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddybear128 View Post
I wouldn't contact the water district if you don't plan on using the system, however if you do decide to get a new system, have the installers installed a pressure vacuum breaker. In doing so you won't have to get the back flow test every year. Also I ran my system for years without any problems until I told on my self. No one on your block will know who gets a back flow test or not. But if you want no issues with the district get the pvb,it will void the yearly back flow test.
That's what I have. They only test it every 5 years at no charge.

Old 05-07-2017, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddybear128 View Post
Perhaps you can say what water district you are in. In my former district regardless of using it or not you had to have a check. IF not you were fined. If you said you didn't want to use it, you had to show proof of disabling the system. If your sprinkler was on and you didn't get it checked you were fined.

In fact, when I hired the company to do my system, I asked if I had to obtain the permit from the district or if they would. They were to do it. Apparently, it got lost in the mail (ask me if I believe them) the district employees drove around the area and saw the install being done and they shut the job down til the permit was submitted. Mind you there is no cost for the permit, they just want to know who they are to charge down the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island