Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 05:14 PM

20,104 posts, read 20,915,876 times

Advertisements

I did the appointment thing. It works pretty good. Got called up within half hour both times.
First time I had to go to a DMV since 2002, so I was dreading it but it wasn't horrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2017, 02:10 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,858,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Well, hopefully in 30 years the DMV has improved. As for the weather it certainly was scary being that I grew up in Florida and never saw snow till I was in my 20's; but I wouldn't call it outlandishly traumatic. I see more traumatic things on our local roads and on these forums. YOU just want to be rude to strangers. Do you do it IRL also or just on boards where you can be anonymous??

The best thing about C-D is the ignore feature. I use it a lot when people are rude for no reason. Bye now.
Adios! I suppose if your version of the truth is not really true the only thing to do is just turn it off. In my last half dozen trips to the DMV only one lasted longer than thirty minutes. Why anyone would complain about a thirty year old experience as if nothing has changed without having any knowledge of the situation baffles me.

Old 03-17-2017, 07:14 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,278,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Are you kidding? When I moved to NC I was back to making the wages I was making 6 years previous on Long Island. Maybe if you were living in Raleigh, Durham, Cary or one of the larger cities. We were living in the coastal plains where the wages were horrible.
The comparison was with Durham, where the median weekly wage was HIGHER than the LI median wage.

Comparing Raleigh-Durham with Nassau County, you do earn 10% less on average, but COL is 45% less.

For Suffolk, you earn 13.2% more than in R-D, but COL is 45% higher.

Even if someone lives in Nassau but works in NYC, on average the COL still isn't fully offset by the increase in wages. And then there's the commute...

Old 03-17-2017, 09:17 AM

245 posts, read 320,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
The comparison was with Durham, where the median weekly wage was HIGHER than the LI median wage.

Comparing Raleigh-Durham with Nassau County, you do earn 10% less on average, but COL is 45% less.

For Suffolk, you earn 13.2% more than in R-D, but COL is 45% higher.

Even if someone lives in Nassau but works in NYC, on average the COL still isn't fully offset by the increase in wages. And then there's the commute...
These statistics are misleading. This includes people who bought in Nassau/Suffolk many years ago when it was still affordable.

You need to look at your personal situation. For me, I found NC wages to be on the order of $40-50k less than I make here, which is larger than COL savings.

Old 03-17-2017, 09:30 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,869,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blernard View Post
These statistics are misleading. This includes people who bought in Nassau/Suffolk many years ago when it was still affordable.

You need to look at your personal situation. For me, I found NC wages to be on the order of $40-50k less than I make here, which is larger than COL savings.
Same here. For us, we do much better financially on LI than we did in NC.

Old 03-17-2017, 11:51 AM

9 posts, read 8,072 times
Thanks everyone. The consensus seems to be that, while I would make more, the cost of living is much higher and that the cold would probably run me away. I honestly have some thinking to do and quite frankly all I want to do is get the heck out of the deep south. We thought that by living close to Atlanta our relationship would be more accepted and its been the opposite. I'm tired of the racism, the looks that my husband and I get, the comments that are made in the grocery store, the names that our kids are called in schools by their classmates, the lack of activities, and the failing schools. Another poster suggested VA and I think it would be best to explore those kind of opportunities. The only downside to that is that then we'd be away from both of our families and that would suck. Decisions....decisions...

Last edited by ecost; 03-17-2017 at 12:08 PM..

Old 03-17-2017, 12:12 PM

22,681 posts, read 36,850,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecost View Post
Thanks everyone. The consensus seems to be that, while I would make more, the cost of living is much higher and that the cold would probably run me away. I honestly have some thinking to do and quite frankly all I want to do is get the heck out of the deep south. We thought that by living close to Atlanta our relationship would be more accepted and its been the opposite. I'm tired of the racism, the looks that my husband and I get, the comments that are made in the grocery store, the names that our kids are called in schools by their classmates, the lack of activities, and the failing schools. Another poster suggested VA and I think it would be best to explore those kind of opportunities. The only downside to that is that then we'd be away from both of our families and that would suck. Decisions....decisions...
Virginia? The capitol of the confederacy?

If you guys can compromise on staying in the south NC would be a much better fit. It's very diverse where I live and I see way more interracial families here than I ever did in NY. Just a thought. Long Island is one of the most segregated suburbs in the country.

Old 03-17-2017, 12:13 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,858,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecost View Post
Did I miss the post that said anything about racism or even racial differences?

Old 03-17-2017, 12:17 PM

22,681 posts, read 36,850,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Did I miss the post that said anything about racism or even racial differences?

Thought I was the only one....seems like some pertinent details have been left out...or maybe just making up as we go along....

Old 03-17-2017, 01:53 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,799,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Virginia? The capitol of the confederacy?

If you guys can compromise on staying in the south NC would be a much better fit. It's very diverse where I live and I see way more interracial families here than I ever did in NY. Just a thought. Long Island is one of the most segregated suburbs in the country.
This is true, LI is very segregated and we have our share of incensed right wingers hating on anything/everything that involves change, immigrants, etc. It's a moderately wealthy place, but we have a troubled infrastructure, economy and political system, and people are deeply resentful. We have many people (particularly those who are overly sentimental about LI's heyday) who lash out freely at anything that stirs the pot and they complain about the sight of brown faces. At this site you will encounter many LI reactionaries that haven't even tried out the concept of critical thinking.

I didn't realize from the first post the OP is African-American and this is an integrated marriage. I'm not sure if or where you'd be happy here on LI. FWIW, Jewish neighborhoods tend to be more liberal.

Italian families tend to be closely knit, and your husband's attachments may be a problem wherever you move to (not on LI).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island