Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 01:16 PM

8,828 posts, read 11,246,822 times

Advertisements

i would say Great Neck is your best bet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2008, 08:58 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,146,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eco-Prof View Post
1) Plandome
2) Old Brookville
3) Garden City
4) Sea Cliff
5) Roslyn Harbor

6) Lloyds Neck - (this is in Suffolk county)
I agree with Plandome, Roslyn Harbor and Sea Cliff as well.

Old 03-05-2008, 04:57 PM

242 posts, read 1,022,720 times
Schools may be an issue at the high school level but I loved living in Long Beach. 52 minutes to Penn Station.

Old 03-05-2008, 06:59 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,532,749 times
1.1 Million.... where would I buy?????

Definitely NOT Long Island!

Old 03-05-2008, 07:02 PM

939 posts, read 2,696,333 times
Manhasset or East Hills.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:28 PM

220 posts, read 1,124,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilip View Post
As for religion, I'm Jewish and my husband is completely non-religious (his family is Catholic but nobody goes to church). I wouldn't want to be the only Jew around but we wouldn't fit in in a super-Jewish area either.
I'm not sure where you're moving from, but my experience growing up in the city and moving to LI is this: I would NEVER have thought I'd seek out a Jewish community or that being around other Jews mattered to me one way or the other. I never thought about it, until I got here. However, the towns/villages are so segregated that even if when one of a few Jews, or one of even a large number (say, at work or in part of the community) but in the minorty, I have experienced prejudice. I experienced this living in East Hampton the eight years I did and, now, living in Riverhead the past few years, I don't even tell people I'm Jewish. People definitely say anti-semetic things, and there are other forms it takes, but more important is that LI is segregated by "type," be it ethnicity, race, religion, ideology, etc. So, unless you seek a diverse community, which unfortunately has a tendency to lead more to segregation than integration, you might want to be in a predominantly Jewish area. I have finally come to terms with this after looking for a long time to be in a diverse and accepting community. These are my feelings and experiences only, and I don't want to attribute words or feelings to anyone who has not said things or felt anti-Semetic.

That said, have a look at Great Neck.

Old 03-06-2008, 01:23 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,564,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer06 View Post
I'm not sure where you're moving from, but my experience growing up in the city and moving to LI is this: I would NEVER have thought I'd seek out a Jewish community or that being around other Jews mattered to me one way or the other. I never thought about it, until I got here. However, the towns/villages are so segregated that even if when one of a few Jews, or one of even a large number (say, at work or in part of the community) but in the minorty, I have experienced prejudice. I experienced this living in East Hampton the eight years I did and, now, living in Riverhead the past few years, I don't even tell people I'm Jewish. People definitely say anti-semetic things, and there are other forms it takes, but more important is that LI is segregated by "type," be it ethnicity, race, religion, ideology, etc. So, unless you seek a diverse community, which unfortunately has a tendency to lead more to segregation than integration, you might want to be in a predominantly Jewish area. I have finally come to terms with this after looking for a long time to be in a diverse and accepting community. These are my feelings and experiences only, and I don't want to attribute words or feelings to anyone who has not said things or felt anti-Semetic.

That said, have a look at Great Neck.
I'm very surprised by this and don't think it's true for most of Long Island, maybe just the east end. Certainly not Nassau County, there is a huge Jewish population here even outside of the Five Towns and Great Neck areas. To this day I'd say probably half of my friends are Jewish and I've never heard, or heard from them about any anti-semitism. I think Great Neck is exactly what the original poster means by "super-Jewish area".

Old 03-06-2008, 12:53 PM

220 posts, read 1,124,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
I'm very surprised by this and don't think it's true for most of Long Island, maybe just the east end. Certainly not Nassau County, there is a huge Jewish population here even outside of the Five Towns and Great Neck areas. To this day I'd say probably half of my friends are Jewish and I've never heard, or heard from them about any anti-semitism. I think Great Neck is exactly what the original poster means by "super-Jewish area".
Interesting. I don't want to usurp the thread, but just wanted to say thanks for the reply (and perhaps I'll look farther west...)

Old 03-07-2008, 10:51 PM

3,180 posts, read 10,608,530 times
Me to, I grew up in North Bellmore and it was 1/2 Jewish and half christian. I never heard of any issues. That gets me mad, Jennifer.........

Old 03-08-2008, 12:30 AM

22,286 posts, read 19,685,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
She said she didn't want to live in super Jewish area, but that could mean in general or she would possibly heavily religious Jewish area. For example both Great Neck and Lawrence are heavily Jewish, but Lawrence has a large orthodox Jewish population where as Great Neck I believe has a lot of secular Jews.

Another possibility is Massapequa down near the water. Massapequa is heavily Italian and also has a pretty large Jewish population I'm in Massapequa (though not near the water) and have a few neighbors where one spouse is Jewish and the other Catholic)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island