Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 09:26 AM

1 posts, read 1,300 times

Advertisements

We are looking to move to Greenlawn, I really do not know much about green lawn but the house we saw is so charming, close to school and good for the kids. I heard they are having a PTA meeting for full day kindergarten. Do you think it will pass? Also what are peoples thoughts on north green lawn near N maple road. Is it kid friendly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 12:08 PM

9 posts, read 13,927 times
I have lived in Greenlawn for almost 5 years. We moved here from Halesite/Huntington primarily for the school district. The district really is good. Really good. Just do a google search. It has been ranked in many publications as one of the better ones in the state and even country.

My daughter has a friend I believe on E. Maple. The houses seem to be a little smaller in that area but other than Boulevard or Gates which are right next to the LIRR tracks it is a good area. The further north you go and closer you get to Centerport the better. South Greenlawn towards Huntington Station is a little sketchy.

Greenlawn is a town with a ton of kids but does have some elderly. There is a retirement village in the community but you wouldn't even know it is there unless you look for the entrance next to the shopping center with the soon to open Greenlawn Farms (Formerly Waldbaum's). There does tend to be turnover as older residents leave. It is a highly desirable area due to fair property taxes and decent pieces of property for a good district. As far as all-day kindergarten another friend of my daughters father is running for the school board. He told me he is pushing for it. The district in general tends to pass the budget by a wide amount because it increases home values. The only thing that keeps getting shot down is an artificial turf field for the High School.

The town has an unbelievable library for a postage size town. It has it's own LIRR stop although if you are riding during non-peak you may want to go out of Huntington. It has a couple of decent restaurants. The only thing it really needs is a good bagel place.

Old 04-29-2016, 04:33 PM

198 posts, read 252,533 times
I think turf was approved actually...

And I am pretty sure that full day k will happen soon
We live in Centerport and like it... Houses on president streets are small but relatively affordable... Plus you are close to water

Old 04-29-2016, 04:35 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,538,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getouttany View Post
I have lived in Greenlawn for almost 5 years. We moved here from Halesite/Huntington primarily for the school district. The district really is good. Really good. Just do a google search. It has been ranked in many publications as one of the better ones in the state and even country.

My daughter has a friend I believe on E. Maple. The houses seem to be a little smaller in that area but other than Boulevard or Gates which are right next to the LIRR tracks it is a good area. The further north you go and closer you get to Centerport the better. South Greenlawn towards Huntington Station is a little sketchy.

Greenlawn is a town with a ton of kids but does have some elderly. There is a retirement village in the community but you wouldn't even know it is there unless you look for the entrance next to the shopping center with the soon to open Greenlawn Farms (Formerly Waldbaum's). There does tend to be turnover as older residents leave. It is a highly desirable area due to fair property taxes and decent pieces of property for a good district. As far as all-day kindergarten another friend of my daughters father is running for the school board. He told me he is pushing for it. The district in general tends to pass the budget by a wide amount because it increases home values. The only thing that keeps getting shot down is an artificial turf field for the High School.

The town has an unbelievable library for a postage size town. It has it's own LIRR stop although if you are riding during non-peak you may want to go out of Huntington. It has a couple of decent restaurants. The only thing it really needs is a good bagel place.
Greenlawn is a great place to live. Best of luck. If you want good bagels, Northport Bagels is minutes away on 25A and Elwood Road.

Old 04-29-2016, 04:51 PM

8,816 posts, read 21,288,785 times
Houses on president streets are small but relatively affordable... Plus you are close to water

My grandparents had a summer home on Cleveland Street that I think they bought in the 40s. My cousins grew up on Pierce Street and one still lives in the neighborhood. It was a wonderful place to live & it still is.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 04-29-2016, 05:25 PM

137 posts, read 272,935 times
greenlawn is a great place.

the harborfields school board is putting up a budget to vote on that includes full day K. the vote is may 17. if the budget passes, there will be full day K. the increase to do this is like 1.5%

Old 04-30-2016, 03:38 AM

5,058 posts, read 3,960,939 times
Now that there is space available in the primary school AND the enrollment has declined this is a financially (very) wise time to make the move to full day. (Aside from the arguments for and against full day k)

Recent graduating classes from Harborfields High School are 300ish, enrollment is about 200 at the lowest grades. The district swelled up with new residents who had younger kids, now that these kids have essentially graduated these 'newer' residents are not moving out. Less folks can now move in and presto, declining enrollments.

(Note: I am speaking in general terms here and giving a macro view on declining enrollment in this excellent district.)

Last edited by Quick Commenter; 04-30-2016 at 03:55 AM..

Old 04-30-2016, 12:59 PM

137 posts, read 272,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
Now that there is space available in the primary school AND the enrollment has declined this is a financially (very) wise time to make the move to full day. (Aside from the arguments for and against full day k)

Recent graduating classes from Harborfields High School are 300ish, enrollment is about 200 at the lowest grades. The district swelled up with new residents who had younger kids, now that these kids have essentially graduated these 'newer' residents are not moving out. Less folks can now move in and presto, declining enrollments.

(Note: I am speaking in general terms here and giving a macro view on declining enrollment in this excellent district.)
Ebbs and flows. I'm in the district and quite a few houses by me have been sold and the buyers have one or more kids 4-5 years old and less. Plus the new development on Pulaski in the district should increase enrollment.

Old 04-30-2016, 02:21 PM

5,058 posts, read 3,960,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by william munny View Post
Ebbs and flows. I'm in the district and quite a few houses by me have been sold and the buyers have one or more kids 4-5 years old and less. Plus the new development on Pulaski in the district should increase enrollment.
There are certainly ebbs and flows in all districts. And all blocks. And families move in and out of all districts.

A quick look at the enrollment per grade will show you the declining enrollment in Harborfields (similar to Northport, and Smithtown, and HHH, and Elwood, etc.). Well documented and really not news. This is dated but is a good starting point: Newsday. This is not a negative.

It is certainly true that the 48 homes projected to be build on Pulaski Road may fully or partially offset the annual enrollment decline.

(May not be every single year ...life is full of exceptions...this, again, is a general trend)

I did include the below note:

Old 04-30-2016, 03:40 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,820,982 times
That area is fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island