Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 02:41 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,934,122 times

Advertisements

^ Jericho is Town of Oyster Bay sticker and it's easy to obtain, but as others said get there early enough. It's not a quick walk parking at Broadway Mall to walk to Hicksville LIRR. It's not an easy one in winter either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafala View Post
For the taxes you are paying you will get more services, programs, better facilities being in North Hempstead for sure (just look at the brochures for each). Good luck!

NH http://www.northhempsteadny.gov/file...gram_Guide.pdf
OB http://oysterbaytown.com/wp-content/...am-FOR-WEB.pdf
That certainly is a big difference and I'm jealous. THe fact that Venditto is known to be a crook just makes us lose by default.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 07:56 AM

188 posts, read 236,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
^ Jericho is Town of Oyster Bay sticker and it's easy to obtain, but as others said get there early enough. It's not a quick walk parking at Broadway Mall to walk to Hicksville LIRR. It's not an easy one in winter either.

That certainly is a big difference and I'm jealous. THe fact that Venditto is known to be a crook just makes us lose by default.
Is this for people in the village? Can we take advantage if we're in Williston Park, not the village though.

Old 04-20-2016, 08:40 AM

92 posts, read 128,504 times
If you're trying to evaluate the goodness of fit for the school districts, in addition to countless other variables, consider your own position on the Common Core Opt Out movement. Then check the recent Newsday article to see if those districts have a 2016 majority supporting your view. There's a lot of vitriol both ways within districts with a large percentage opting out. You're either with them or against them and it's something worth considering when comparing districts.

Old 04-22-2016, 07:52 AM

59 posts, read 129,441 times
You definitely have to factor in parking at the LIRR stations. Finding parking at Great Neck is tough, it'll be even harder at Manhasset if you're not a resident. Mineola station has good train frequency and parking options as long as you're willing to pay $5-$6 dollars a day for it.

I had many of the same criteria when we were looking, and ended up ruling out Jericho and Syosset because it felt just a bit too far out there.

Good luck!

Old 04-22-2016, 08:46 AM

283 posts, read 583,444 times
I'll give you my long winded perspective on this since Several years ago we had the same exact question. We are a mixed Asian family so wanted a balance. Our ideal area was Manhasset that is still my dream With your budget I would only look in that area. We ended up in POB. Jericho is very wealthy with a lot of Stay at home moms, so we took that area off the list. Great neck is just too close to Queens, feels like Queens , so off the list. We didn't like the location of Garden City. Basically came down to pob or syosset . We found a nice home in a great neighborhood in POB. In my opinion Syosset just was not worth the extra money for us. POB does have a nice balance but I do think that will change in a few short years. We are very happy here.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:49 AM

852 posts, read 972,318 times
Moving into Long Island? Are you buying an underground house, or just an early grave to try and avoid the outrageous taxes?

Old 04-22-2016, 08:58 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,934,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodi View Post
Is this for people in the village? Can we take advantage if we're in Williston Park, not the village though.
Only towns considered TOB can get the TOB sticker.

Incorporated Villages & Unincorporated Areas - Town of Oyster Bay

Old 04-22-2016, 09:19 AM

283 posts, read 583,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbly Joe View Post
Moving into Long Island? Are you buying an underground house, or just an early grave to try and avoid the outrageous taxes?

Let's hope you are joking, OP did mention being new to the country.

Old 04-22-2016, 10:18 AM

852 posts, read 972,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmommyq View Post
Let's hope you are joking, OP did mention being new to the country.
Of course I'm joking! Sheesh! Hey, plenty of native English-speakers who have been in this country for generations make the same mistake. I've actually heard people in real-life say "I live in Long Island"!

It's just one of those quirks...like: You get in a car, but on a bus. You live in Deer Park, on Long Island....

Old 04-23-2016, 09:42 AM

402 posts, read 521,516 times
Im zoned for Herricks but am moving to another town only to have more land. The school district is excellent... Very mixed but that is something we personally like. On my block (we live in a court), we have the following nationalities - Greek, Chinese, Pakistani, Salvadorean/Caucasian , Chinese/Caucasian and Puerto Rican/Italian. There are lots of mixed marriages in this neighborhood and so the kids come from various backgrounds. I had a Halloween party last year and one friend said that my block looked liked the United Nations
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island