Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 01:18 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,511,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
You can't really let some of these old buildings get in the way of LI's current needs. An old barn may look nice but all it really is is just an old barn unless you can turn it into something useful.
One thing that happens here is to move the building if it has some historic value.
For example this old grocery, that I used to frequent for years, was moved to a site dedicated to the areas history. Where it used to stand is now a Ford dealership.
Don't get me wrong, I fully accept and embrace the need to "keep growing", but in this particular case I think an old barn was doing much more of a service to the area just by standing there than the five homes that initially listed for $900,000 (in Levittown, mind you) and are still vacant almost two years later! I think this is largely the case with these older residential properties. Rezoning them as commercial isn't possible, or practical since they're well off any main roads, and the tax deferment the town sees when the new homes are built isn't really a drop in the bucket in the grand scheme....likely to be entirely negated when surrounding properties are re-assessed to factor in the average value of the five brand new McMansions that go for double anything else on the block!

I'll admit I am a sucker for any type of history, though. Whether it's the pyramids or an old green barn up the street. I also think that in this respect it does make a certain area less desirable in the long run as the older structures are easily recognizable and somewhat symbolic of any given neighborhood. We hear this all the time on these boards ("this isn't the place I grew up blahlblah"). There's only so many buildings we can stick at Old Bethpage Restoration Village.

Has anyone noticed that newer suburban housing architecture just doesn't age well at all? This is what replaced the white and green home's twin (pictured above) when it was torn down a long time ago...I mean these were pretty bland when they were built but really kind of depressing to look at now....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 08:31 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
Don't get me wrong, I fully accept and embrace the need to "keep growing", but in this particular case I think an old barn was doing much more of a service to the area just by standing there than the five homes that initially listed for $900,000 (in Levittown, mind you) and are still vacant almost two years later! I think this is largely the case with these older residential properties. Rezoning them as commercial isn't possible, or practical since they're well off any main roads, and the tax deferment the town sees when the new homes are built isn't really a drop in the bucket in the grand scheme....likely to be entirely negated when surrounding properties are re-assessed to factor in the average value of the five brand new McMansions that go for double anything else on the block!

I'll admit I am a sucker for any type of history, though. Whether it's the pyramids or an old green barn up the street. I also think that in this respect it does make a certain area less desirable in the long run as the older structures are easily recognizable and somewhat symbolic of any given neighborhood. We hear this all the time on these boards ("this isn't the place I grew up blahlblah"). There's only so many buildings we can stick at Old Bethpage Restoration Village.

Has anyone noticed that newer suburban housing architecture just doesn't age well at all? This is what replaced the white and green home's twin (pictured above) when it was torn down a long time ago...I mean these were pretty bland when they were built but really kind of depressing to look at now....
The newer stuff will have it's afficionados in about 100 years from now LOL

Levittown was recently featured at the local museum here; when it came time to celebrate the 50th anniversary of America's First Suburb, there weren't many original houses left. On one hand, that's a statement as to how easily these simple homes could be altered to meet the needs of the owner, while on the other it's sad that no one realized the significant impact these homes would have on housing construction in the future.

One thing that I had written earlier touched on new construction in very old areas. It can have a devasting effect on an area of 100 year old and up homes.

I live in a community of cottages which were built around a Christian Assembly starting at the turn of the last century. Most of us cottage dwellers love the lifestyle: the smaller homes, the quirky architecture. Small houses surrounded by towering oaks on a hillside overlooking the creek and Sound -- I love it as do so many of my neighbors. Downhill and behind us is a development of newer homes that are tucked in and (with the exception of the house behind mine) are not easily visible. There is no negative visual impact upon the cottages. Even the house behind mine is downhill; it's a big center hall colonial, but from where I sit now, it's roofline is about floor level with me. Most of these recent homes have cedar or clapboard siding and one can tell the developer made a good effort to blend in with the aesthetics of the area. I wish more developers were like this.

The main town (not state) road through the area is a couple of hundred years old. It has many older homes lining it; in fact one of my friend's families has been in their current home since the 1850's -- when they built it new. There is a certain charm to roads like this throughout any older community. Unfortunately we are seeing new people come in who don't quite understand older homes. Next thing we know there is an extension on the place that looks like the tail wagging the dog; as well as features which clearly don't belong to the period. (Sticking on frilly, ornate trim does not make a colonial a Victorian. UGH)

It's like a virus which spreads slowly at first. There is one (formerly) beautiful older home along the main road. It was featured on "If These Walls Could Talk" (I believe that was on HGTV) and the segment was about the items the owners at that time found in the walls as they put a rear addition on. In terms of the addition, it was well thought out so as not to interfere with the home's appearance and curb appeal. This gem went on the market a few years ago.

The new owners have since built on a two story ell with underground garage and are placing a wrap around porch on it. There's some other crazy looking one story addition to the other side. There's no rhyme or reason to the additoins and the once quaint captain's house is now a bastardized older home mostly consumed by a mcMansion. Sad. It completely dwarves the cottages on either side of it.

A few doors up is where the virus first arrived. A piece of land at the head of the creek became a McMansion. Actually very nice looking, colonial in style, but way out of proportion to anything in the area. It is the Manor house and the rest of us are living in the Serf cottages! Since the Lord and lady of the Manor have moved in, we have had a new manor built across the road and 4 houses up from it, as well as the rape of the captain's house.

Hopefully the recession we are entering will briefly put a stop to this insanity. It's apparent that the Town of Brookhaven's Historic District Advisory Committee is not.

Yes, there are only so many homes we can preserve at Old Bethpage Restoration Village. Communities have to decide how important relics of a bygone era are to their collective identity. Sometimes people are too busy and take for granted that the barn, windmill, old mill, etc., will always be there. If it something that drew them to live within their town, they need to adopt a proactive stance.

The people around here who are mucking up the old homes will be the first ones to complain about how the area has changed and will pick up and go elsewhere. Mark my words.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:41 AM

1,359 posts, read 5,657,200 times
History is important, preserving a reasonable amount of the past is as well. I wonder if anyone have ever thought of preserving at lease one (a block would be great) of the orignial Levitt houses. It's an American icon, really, and I hope it's not 100% wiped away.

BTW, are they serious...$900K in Levittown...um, hello? Ever hear of MLS?

Old 02-13-2008, 09:34 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,146,742 times
Quote:
History is important, preserving a reasonable amount of the past is as well. I wonder if anyone have ever thought of preserving at lease one (a block would be great) of the orignial Levitt houses. It's an American icon, really, and I hope it's not 100% wiped away.
You'd have to ask what benefit is in it for the homeowners to maintain a home that has restrictions on what they can do to it, or if it was owned by the state, county or local gov. how much it would cost the taxpayers to maintain empty houses?

Old 02-13-2008, 11:05 AM

Quote:
You'd have to ask what benefit is in it for the homeowners to maintain a home that has restrictions on what they can do to it, or if it was owned by the state, county or local gov. how much it would cost the taxpayers to maintain empty houses?
This snippet is from the National Trust for Historic Preservation:
Housing | Issues | National Trust for Historic Preservation (http://www.nationaltrust.org/housing/position.html - broken link)
"Historic preservation values should not be limited to certified historic structures or communities. Older communities which may not be officially designated as historic never-the-less add to the overall texture of our nation, which would be diminished should these communities be lost. Solid housing stock within many older neighborhoods is being lost because they are not protected by a “historic designation”. This is especially an issue in lower income neighborhoods where two phenomena are underway. In “hot” neighborhoods, stakeholders are not organized enough to protect the architectural integrity of their community or to keep up with rising property values. The integrity of the area is often compromised by the demolition of existing, and often stable houses, inappropriate renovation of existing houses, and introduction of new construction which is incompatible with the existing architectural character of the area. In weak market neighborhoods, the lack of national and state programs to fend off decline, has led to widespread abandonment and demolition by neglect, leaving clearance and rebuilding as the only viable option to recovery."

NYS offers tax credits/abatements and programs to people who are looking to preserve structures:
New York State Historic Preservation Office :: Investment Tax Credit

A structure does not necessarily have to be historic, but be located in an historic district. It would behoove the people who live in areas with historical significance (Levittown would count here) to consider petitioning their town for Historic district status.

I live on the inside of a border for an historic district; many people who live in such understand that we are held to certain standards (although there are times when the standards seem to have been loosened up.) The district can not tell me that I can't extend my house, but they can tell me that I must keep my cedar shingles (or if I planned on vinyl cedar impressions, I would have to submit a sample) they can tell me what style of windows and doors I can/can't use. Around the corner, outside the border, the neighbors can go hog wild. Guess what? They don't really go overboard. Sure, the houses are larger, a tad more flash, but like most of us, they still like a certain look. The further removed from the historic district, the more one sees change.

Part of the appeal of this area is the colonial village feel. People who like the New England, old home lifestyle like it here. By making a concerted effort to keep things from altering the village's appearance, we are helping maintain our property values and desirability.

Each home within the Historic District is individually owned and we pay full taxes on our properties. We have no free lunch LOL Our historic district designation, however, gives us protection and helps protect the value of our homes.

A while back there were homes on the beach here which were owned by people on land leased from the Town of Brookhaven. Due to the history as to how these homes came to be, politcal favoritism, dirty politics, these homes became a source of contention amongst some people. They were funky little cottages that added to the area's charm. Preservationists fought to save the cottages, tried to get them onto the National Historic Trust, but the efforts were in vain. The cottages were razed. Now the community has a vacant beach front and no vehicular access to the end of the road, omnipresent security guards and has lost part of it's history. Instead of cottage owners paying taxes into the Town and schools, the schools and Town lost tax money and now the Town is paying out in security and additional maintenance.

Needless to say, I am against a government agency owning land under a privately owned home. While the house might be protected, there's no guarantee what could happen down the road.

Old 02-14-2008, 12:55 AM

220 posts, read 776,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyjones978 View Post
That one is still there... but diagonally across the street from there, next to the diner parking lot, there are three identical high ranch splits.. (one of them I think is a chriopractor's office). Before those were built, there was a smaller version of the green house in your picture. Maybe it was a duplex?

*sigh* can you imagine what they might build in place of this house, if they ever do take it down?

That's one heck of a lot. They have a tremendous garden on what must be a 10000 foot lot to the North of the house. I love that property. Back in the early 80's, there was a farm on Dutch Broadway in Elmont that was the size of the school yard across the street and was very sad to see it go. This is indicative of the negative side of change due to population growth. The taxes on such a property today would easily be six-figure and the yield couldn't have supported that. What a shame. It became a bunch of houses.

My hope for the one you posted the picture of in Wantagh is that it survives as a reminder of what was. There is also a home further south on Wantagh around Island that was originally built in the 1600's. It had many newer additions, but the old house in the back was a treat to see. If only those walls could talk..

Old 02-14-2008, 01:04 AM

220 posts, read 776,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyjones978 View Post
yes, I fell over when I saw the listing price for that home - I think $700K was a bit much, but they probably figured that they could get that given the age and the location. If I recall correctly, I believe that property was grandfatherd in some zoning that they could build another home on that lot if they wanted to. I'm glad to hear that they did not tear it down and do a rebuild. Too many historical houses have gone the way of the dump.

Hey seanx4, do you remember the green and white farmhouses on wantagh avenue going south towards jerusalem ave?
Does anyone remember the Doctor's house on Wantagh Southeast of Island Rd? IT was an older ranch that had to be 90-100 feet wide. The developers bought the property, knocked down the original and built three monsters. I used smile when driving past such a beautiful piece of property. It reminded me of some places up in Port Jeff. The mansions being built in Wantagh Woods are ridiculous. They belong in Oyster Bay Cove or Muttontown, not in Wantagh. Unfortunately, the school district has drawn those with true wealth who somehow still want to be amongst normal people, but live in a 5500 foot house.

Old 02-14-2008, 05:32 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,146,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Part of the appeal of this area is the colonial village feel. People who like the New England, old home lifestyle like it here. By making a concerted effort to keep things from altering the village's appearance, we are helping maintain our property values and desirability.
Your neighborhood sounds nice, and you guys should be applauded for doing it.
I always loved finding those pocket neighborhoods that predate Levittown. One of my favorites was the neighborhood that ran along one side of Argyl Lake in Babylon. I used to love walking or biking through it gave a feel for what they area was like way back when.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemental View Post
Does anyone remember the Doctor's house on Wantagh Southeast of Island Rd? IT was an older ranch that had to be 90-100 feet wide. The developers bought the property, knocked down the original and built three monsters. I used smile when driving past such a beautiful piece of property. It reminded me of some places up in Port Jeff. The mansions being built in Wantagh Woods are ridiculous. They belong in Oyster Bay Cove or Muttontown, not in Wantagh. Unfortunately, the school district has drawn those with true wealth who somehow still want to be amongst normal people, but live in a 5500 foot house.
One of the things that I don't understand, but then this is only MHO, is why would anyone want to live on Wantagh Ave? I grew up in Massapequa and I would not want to live along 107, Broadway, Jerusalem Aves, Park Blvd or Clark Ave....

Where exactly is Wantagh Woods? I haven't been back into the area in forever (save for an All American run, but that's Merrick Rd and doesn't count LOL)

Again, being removed from the area for a while and only having my past experience to draw on, I would never equate Wantagh wealth with Oyster Bay Cove wealth (Charles Wang, John McEnroe, etc.) This all circles back to my opinion on another thread about why people would by a $700K McMansion in Port Jeff Station vs. spending $700K on a smaller house in a better area further north. (Please note that I am not comparing Wantagh with PJS)

I ran a search on MLSLI.com – Long Island Real Estate – Find A Home in Nassau, Suffolk & Queens for Oyster Bay Cove and Wantagh.
Wantagh properties started at $286K whereas the first OBC listing was $895K There were only 3 more Wantagh listings (all Mcmansions) after the first OBC one. Wantagh topped out at $1.148 mil. The remaining 33 listings were all OBC; most of the houses were in the mid $2 mils to high $3 mils. There were two very expensive homes -- one was $9 mil the other $20 mil.

My point is that someone who can readily afford a home over a million dollars might entertain other areas before Wantagh. Someone who is plotzing a million down on a house in Wantagh is at the top of their budget and is doing what they can to show off.

To wit:
Most expensive listing in Wantagh is a 1962 10 rm Contemporary, 4 BR, 2BA(development house) $1.148 mil, taxes $12,967 56x110 =.16acre Waterfront Wantagh Schools

2nd cheapest OBC home (somewhat comparable) is a 1962 9 rm ranch, 4 BR, 3 BA, 2 half BA, $1.295 mil, taxes $13,500, village taxes $3,000, 2.14 acres
Beach rights. OB-EN schools

Cheapest OBC home is an 1888 7 room colonial, 3 BR, 2.5 baths, $895K, taxes $8,046., village taxes $1,560, .25 acre Waterview, Beach rights, OB-EN schools.

If I were in this spot, I would be in the 1888 colonial. I'd sacrifice lot size for the older home, location, village amenities. IMHO it beats Wantagh. But that's just me. There are plenty of people who feel differently and that's a good thing --otherwise we would all be crowding each other in one given area!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
BTW: I found my new home old home! LOL A bargain at only $2.4 mil
taxes $42K!
MLSLI.com - Find a Home

Old 02-14-2008, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Your neighborhood sounds nice, and you guys should be applauded for doing it.
I always loved finding those pocket neighborhoods that predate Levittown. One of my favorites was the neighborhood that ran along one side of Argyl Lake in Babylon. I used to love walking or biking through it gave a feel for what they area was like way back when.
I've always loved Babylon Village. My first apartment was above a store on DPA just north of 27A. While I love very old buildings, I have a particular fondness for the homes of the teens, 20's and 30's -- especially the cottages and bunglows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island