Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 09:57 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,440,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonZinger321 View Post
We are looking to buy a home in Suffolk County. We are looking for low taxes and good schools...as everyone is on this island! I am looking at Centereach. Can anyone living in Centereach specifically give their honest opinions on the town? How do you like the schools, your neighborhood, the area in general?

I was also looking into Medford, but I am getting the impression that the Pat-Med school district is not too good. Just for a bit more info...Sachem is out because I hear they are in financial dire straits.

I appreciate any information anyone is willing to give. As we all know, buying a home is a major decision and I am just trying to be as smart about it as possible.

Thank you!

The only place I would want to live in Centereach is the part that borders Lake Ronkonkoma. While its true that anything directly off Middle Country Road is close to all kinds of shopping, that also means theres a huge amount of traffic/congestion everytime you leave your neighborhood. Of course, you may not be bothered by that.

I wouldn't write Sachem off esp if you plan to there long term. I don't know anything about their financial dire straits and couldn't find anything when I googled. They have been the better school district for years. Yes you will pay more taxes, but depending on the house in the end the appreciation you get for being in the better school district may make that a moot point.

I would look in Lake Ronkonkoma(by the high school), Holbrook(New England Village) and maybe Holtsville off Patchogue Holbrook Rd.

All that being said I know some living in Patch/Med in a cute little neighborhood. Their girls are very bright and they are happy with the school they are in. In the lesser rated school districts, it probably comes down to which school you are actually in.

Whereever you end up, my advice would be to appeal your taxes every year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 11:44 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
I doubt that Sachem is in any worse financial straights than most of the other school districts on Long Island, unless they really go hosed with the 2 new schools they built.

Old 12-18-2015, 12:50 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,655,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiveMeCoffee View Post
I grew up in the area and taught in both districts. Pat Med and Centereach are comparable. Similar test scores, average family salaries, ethnic/racial breakdowns. They're both working/middle class districts. Comsewogue is smaller but similar academically and has a great Common Core-fighting superintendent.

In the area, 3 Village SD is my favorite, but you're going to pay higher taxes.

I think they are comparable too. I like Patchogue better because it's an actual town with history. Not a serious of strip malls and suburban sprawl that Centereach seems to be. Centereach near the Walmart and around the Our Savior Lutheran Church, and down Jericho Turnpike, is not an attractive area.
Little boxy houses that remind me of Shirley.

You can get a beautiful Victorian in Patchogue or a custom built home in Old Medford, which is more wooded and private. North Patchogue is yet another choice,

Centereach and Selden just turn me off.

Centereach near Three Village - I think it's called "Holiday Park" is OK.

Old 12-18-2015, 01:05 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,235,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Centereach certainly isn't a great area but it's no Mastic, far from it. And lol yes stay away from those "awful" working class whites! SMH not to mention the area is diverse with a decent sized middle class Hispanic population. Better Stick to Ohio.
There are a lot of Tea Party types. Trump supporters. They are not always the most welcoming people. I am Jewish. I wouldn't live in Centereach unless it was in Three Village.

At least Shirley has Smith Point. What does Centereach have? Strip malls and tattoo shops?

I'll stick to what I know about. It is actually possibly to have moved from LI five years ago, visit every now and then, and know about several regions of the US. At the same time! It's also possible to have been born and raised on LI, have lived there for 46 years, attended college, and grad school on LI, and have both an affinity and knowledge of the area. For life.

I moved. I did not defect to a foreign country. Jeez...

You can stick to beautiful downtown Centereach. Where ever that may be...

Old 12-18-2015, 01:07 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,235,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
The only place I would want to live in Centereach is the part that borders Lake Ronkonkoma. While its true that anything directly off Middle Country Road is close to all kinds of shopping, that also means theres a huge amount of traffic/congestion everytime you leave your neighborhood. Of course, you may not be bothered by that.

I wouldn't write Sachem off esp if you plan to there long term. I don't know anything about their financial dire straits and couldn't find anything when I googled. They have been the better school district for years. Yes you will pay more taxes, but depending on the house in the end the appreciation you get for being in the better school district may make that a moot point.

I would look in Lake Ronkonkoma(by the high school), Holbrook(New England Village) and maybe Holtsville off Patchogue Holbrook Rd.

All that being said I know some living in Patch/Med in a cute little neighborhood. Their girls are very bright and they are happy with the school they are in. In the lesser rated school districts, it probably comes down to which school you are actually in.

Whereever you end up, my advice would be to appeal your taxes every year.
Good post.

Old 12-18-2015, 03:16 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,762,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
I'll stick to what I know about. It is actually possibly to have moved from LI five years ago, visit every now and then, and know about several regions of the US. At the same time! It's also possible to have been born and raised on LI, have lived there for 46 years, attended college, and grad school on LI, and have both an affinity and knowledge of the area. For life.
it's also possible to spend all of that time on LI (or anywhere else) and be unable to offer anything besides misinformed opinions and flat-out incorrect information.

We see it on this board all the time!

Old 12-18-2015, 03:22 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,772,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
it's also possible to spend all of that time on LI (or anywhere else) and be unable to offer anything besides misinformed opinions and flat-out incorrect information.

We see it on this board all the time!
Exactly!

Old 12-18-2015, 03:27 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,772,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
There are a lot of Tea Party types. Trump supporters. They are not always the most welcoming people. I am Jewish. I wouldn't live in Centereach unless it was in Three Village.
So you are implying that all Trump supporters and "tea party types" are all anti-Semites now? Seriously? stereotype much?

Yeah I'm sure there are absolutely NO democrats at all in centereach, and the Hispanic families there that make up nearly a quarter of the population I'm sure are all huge trump supporters. Get real. Just because you lived on LI years ago dosent mean you really know anything about centereach or the people who actually live there today.

Old 12-18-2015, 05:38 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,761,376 times
What a fool. I wonder what he thinks about a tea party patriot of partial jewish heritage who is also a Trump supporter? There's many of us who like a strong, confident leader who actually puts American interests and security at top priority.
By the way, I know a family of Messianic Jews that have lived peacefully and comfortably in Centereach for more than 30 years. They get along great with their neighbors, all those "unwelcoming Trump supporters". What an arrogant fool. You don't want to live in Centereach, stay away, don't even visit. They're better off without you.

Old 12-18-2015, 06:11 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,537,528 times
Centereach is ok i guess. 347, on the other hand, is a nightmare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island