Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 10:42 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,019,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave View Post
this has been some of the worst advice i have ever seen on this board..this person is looking to avoid trouble and all you people are telling him is to not pay and "yeah" stiff the landlord!!!!"call the town" " call the police".etc etc!!
Well there are 2 sides to every story!
dizzy, True you may have rights but remember you forfieted those tenents rights when you moved into a illegal apartment so that being said she does sound like she is a bi*ch but causeing her grief will only in turn cause YOURSELF more grief, So pay what you owe and move out. the cops wont even be bothered with you & the town issue will take months and it doesnt sound like you can live there for months without paying, So best is to find another place to live.
While your delivery is a little crass.. your message is true.. Just find another place to live, then move out as soon as you find that place.. don't give notice, don't let her know you're lookign.. just grin and bear it while you search and pay the rent.. then at the end of the month that you move she'll be shocked to see your stuff is gone and you're out.

Well.. you could always avoid her in your LAST month so that you can live off the deposit you won't get back.. I do agree with that last point.. although if she doesn't give it back to you you can always take her to small claims court and win... because her lease isn't really worht squat AND she can't withhold the money for the deposit on an apartment she shouldn't have been renting in the first place.. be sure to take photos before you move out.. and leave the place absolutely spotless withthose photos..she won't have a leg to stand on in court with that.

and .. just know that NOT ALL illegal landlords are pain in the butts.. Some are quiet nice and you can have a nice comfortable arrangement taht works for both of you.. Good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2008, 03:02 PM

99 posts, read 730,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
While your delivery is a little crass.. your message is true.. Just find another place to live, then move out as soon as you find that place.. don't give notice, don't let her know you're lookign.. just grin and bear it while you search and pay the rent.. then at the end of the month that you move she'll be shocked to see your stuff is gone and you're out.

Well.. you could always avoid her in your LAST month so that you can live off the deposit you won't get back.. I do agree with that last point.. although if she doesn't give it back to you you can always take her to small claims court and win... because her lease isn't really worht squat AND she can't withhold the money for the deposit on an apartment she shouldn't have been renting in the first place.. be sure to take photos before you move out.. and leave the place absolutely spotless withthose photos..she won't have a leg to stand on in court with that.

and .. just know that NOT ALL illegal landlords are pain in the butts.. Some are quiet nice and you can have a nice comfortable arrangement taht works for both of you.. Good luck
Well said tristansmommy......I come across in typing as an as**ole i dont mean to be harsh of other peoples opinions....Ive just found out the hard way that sometimes is easier to to get out of a bad situation then hang around cause you "wanna stick it to the man" so to speak.....
Good Luck!

Old 01-26-2008, 03:25 PM

999 posts, read 2,360,003 times
What's that hard old learned lesson...crime doesn't pay

Old 01-26-2008, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMA View Post
What's that hard old learned lesson...crime doesn't pay
Is really renting an illegal apartment a CRIME...if it keep clean,updated,& doesnt bother anyone, I wouldnt classify it as a crime, maybe its a older woman who likes to know there is someone else in the house in case she needed assistance.

Old 01-26-2008, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave View Post
Is really renting an illegal apartment a CRIME...if it keep clean,updated,& doesnt bother anyone, I wouldnt classify it as a crime, maybe its a older woman who likes to know there is someone else in the house in case she needed assistance.

I totally agree with you.. most of the time it's couples and such just renting out to help them get by..
But .. watch out.. yoru about to be bombarded with a whole lot of arguments of why it's illegal.. not paying more taxes, not claiming income..etc.. although if you did all that then you defeat the purpose. There's a whole thread dedicated to it.
Although I'm starting to realize that a lot of people onthis board, according to another post about demographics, have very nice incomes that allow them to live .. while not comfortably, they are doing okay (and I mean getting by.. with not much room which isn't very comforting) and do not fall into the cateogory of absolutely NEEDING to rent to make it.. just an observation I could be wrong about.

Old 01-26-2008, 06:36 PM

while i agree there are alot of slumlords both on LI & in the city where it is legall to rent, I still wouldnt clasiffy as a crime unless there renting rooms to mexicans who share only one toilet and it gets pumped out into the street to the sewers or the slumlord cuts off your power then buys you a generater to run the electric..no smoke dectecters & mold running rampant.....that is a crime & they should be punished to the full extent of the law and then some!!. But the majority i see are honest hardworking familys & would go the extra mile to make your feel comfortable in there home!

Old 01-27-2008, 09:02 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,480,099 times
Okay, we all know that renting out an illegal apartment is, well... illegal. However, it is true that many people *need* to do this in order to make ends meet or get by or whatever. That doesn't make it right, but it happens and the town/county turns a blind eye to it...

Now, that being said.... if you're a LL and renting out an apartment to someone and you KNOW you're in the wrong 100%, why would you give the tenant a hard time if this tenant is paying the rent on time, not making unecessary noise, not trashing the place, not having people coming and going at all hours, etc...?
A lot of these illegal LLs think they're doing YOU the favor by renting to you... others are frustrated that they even have to do it and take out the frustration on the tenant....
The bottom line is, the LL is in a bad position NOT the tenant... The LL is the one facing fines, back taxes, etc. And it doesn't take "months" for the town or county or fire marshalls to inspect. You make the call, they will be there in 3 days or less.
As far as the cops... the LL has NO RIGHT WHATSOEVER to be in your apartment when you're not home unless there is an absolute emergency situation. If the LL sets a foot in your apartment, you have every right to call the police and have them arrested for burglary and trespassing. As long as you have that apartment, it is YOUR property, not the LLs.

As for the LL only accepting cash? Screw that! If I'm going to give you $1000, you better believe it's going to be by check or money order. There's no way in he!! I'm giving some LL 1K in cash. If they don't want a check or money order, then they don't get it at all.

Last edited by omigawd; 01-27-2008 at 09:04 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 01-27-2008, 09:44 AM

Default Just a small piece of advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
Okay, we all know that renting out an illegal apartment is, well... illegal. However, it is true that many people *need* to do this in order to make ends meet or get by or whatever. That doesn't make it right, but it happens and the town/county turns a blind eye to it...

Now, that being said.... if you're a LL and renting out an apartment to someone and you KNOW you're in the wrong 100%, why would you give the tenant a hard time if this tenant is paying the rent on time, not making unecessary noise, not trashing the place, not having people coming and going at all hours, etc...?
A lot of these illegal LLs think they're doing YOU the favor by renting to you... others are frustrated that they even have to do it and take out the frustration on the tenant....
The bottom line is, the LL is in a bad position NOT the tenant... The LL is the one facing fines, back taxes, etc. And it doesn't take "months" for the town or county or fire marshalls to inspect. You make the call, they will be there in 3 days or less.
As far as the cops... the LL has NO RIGHT WHATSOEVER to be in your apartment when you're not home unless there is an absolute emergency situation. If the LL sets a foot in your apartment, you have every right to call the police and have them arrested for burglary and trespassing. As long as you have that apartment, it is YOUR property, not the LLs.

As for the LL only accepting cash? Screw that! If I'm going to give you $1000, you better believe it's going to be by check or money order. There's no way in he!! I'm giving some LL 1K in cash. If they don't want a check or money order, then they don't get it at all.
The next best thing to cash would be money order.. you have a receipt with the money order, they have something that is not as traceable as a check. AND.. YOU have some sort of proof that you paid rent and how much for the day you do decide to get a mortgage and they want to see cancelled checks or money order receipts for the rent you paid. I had a problem at one point because I was paying my LEGAL rental in cash (it was just easier). Lesson learned.

Old 01-27-2008, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post

I agree LL should be a hellova lot nicer seening they have much more to lose. Fire Marshalls...no way this aint a commercial building in Manhatten. Its usually a town official in a town official looking car that really hates his job!
As far as the town yes the will be there ASAP but the will be no fine or corrections till
1- they access the apartment ,take pictures, then they will send you a letter= 1 month
2- you take about 1 month to respond saying you will make the changes soon=2 months
3- they give you a court date to apper in court=3 months
4- you say you cant get in touch with your lawyer please pospone=4 months
I could keep going and going---see where im heading.!!
As far as your local PD slap on the wrist- Its not a crime to enter your own home. Stop lisening to the guys at the Barber shop - they full of BS.
And finally ASK what your LL prefers when you rent if he says only CASH and your dont wanna do that please walk away...dont rent then say AHH screw the old basta*d whats he gonna do......

Old 01-27-2008, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
The next best thing to cash would be money order.. you have a receipt with the money order, they have something that is not as traceable as a check. AND.. YOU have some sort of proof that you paid rent and how much for the day you do decide to get a mortgage and they want to see cancelled checks or money order receipts for the rent you paid. I had a problem at one point because I was paying my LEGAL rental in cash (it was just easier). Lesson learned.
the best policy is to ask...if your uncomfortable please walk away.....lots of pycho's out there..& plenty of apartments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island