Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 02:37 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,540,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeygorilla View Post
College admissions told you HHH grades are padded? Really? Which colleges? That's a pretty big accusation and I haven't ever heard anyone say anything like that before.
I'd rather not say. I did hear it at two different and unrelated locations. It was also confirmed by a personal friend who was on the admissions board of a fairly prestigious college in upstate NY. This was 5-6 years back.

HHH, in my experience, is all about the "numbers." I remember when my oldest graduated we went to a ceremony where they recognized kids who won various awards and scholarships. The principal droned on for about 20 minutes with all the great "numbers" and high "rankings" HHH could claim. I also recall that he never mentioned anything about "people" or "students" - never used a person's name (teacher or student). It was all "I, me, mine." It was like being in a narsicistic statistics class. You never would have known you were there to honor actual _people_. It erased any doubt I might have had about where their priorities were.

Quote:
As for the social aspect, I have had a very different experience. I feel like the district is big enough that it's so easy to find a group of friends without worrying who the 'in crowd' is. And I have personally never experienced a "mean girls" sort of scene...quite the opposite in fact. I'm sorry you experienced that- this is the sort of thing that can vary based on the actual people involved- sounds like the parents in your kids grades had issues lol!

Yes, it might have been the grade or other factors. I never "experienced" a problem because I never had the desire to get involved in the "social aspect" of the PTA. My wife went through the grade school thing and was exposed to some crazy antics over who got to be "class mother" or who got to run the pie sale. But I expect that silly stuff goes on everywhere.

Regardless, much of the HHH crowd is about "keeping up with the Joneses." I have seen things I still don't understand. One of my kids had a friend who (according to the family) lived in the "better" part of the district (north of the LIE). They had a nice house and a Mercedes in the driveway. One day we went to pick my kid up at the friends home... there wasn't a stick of furniture inside the house (I assume there was bedroom furniture upstairs). From what we could find, the family was leveraged to the hilt to keep an outward appearance of "wealth." Speaking with some friends, we learned that a situation like that is not uncommon.

Give me a working class neighborhood any day of the week. I have no time for people like that. If you like that or can ignore it, HHH will be fine. If it annoys you, Commack may be the better choice.

To the original point, HHH is a still a very good SD. It's just not the be all/end all "bestest" utopia that some of the residents want you to believe. As has been stated, Commack is just as good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 02:56 PM

883 posts, read 3,718,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe461 View Post
I'd rather not say. I did hear it at two different and unrelated locations. It was also confirmed by a personal friend who was on the admissions board of a fairly prestigious college in upstate NY. This was 5-6 years back.

HHH, in my experience, is all about the "numbers." I remember when my oldest graduated we went to a ceremony where they recognized kids who won various awards and scholarships. The principal droned on for about 20 minutes with all the great "numbers" and high "rankings" HHH could claim. I also recall that he never mentioned anything about "people" or "students" - never used a person's name (teacher or student). It was all "I, me, mine." It was like being in a narsicistic statistics class. You never would have known you were there to honor actual _people_. It erased any doubt I might have had about where their priorities were.

Yes, it might have been the grade or other factors. I never "experienced" a problem because I never had the desire to get involved in the "social aspect" of the PTA. My wife went through the grade school thing and was exposed to some crazy antics over who got to be "class mother" or who got to run the pie sale. But I expect that silly stuff goes on everywhere.

Regardless, much of the HHH crowd is about "keeping up with the Joneses." I have seen things I still don't understand. One of my kids had a friend who (according to the family) lived in the "better" part of the district (north of the LIE). They had a nice house and a Mercedes in the driveway. One day we went to pick my kid up at the friends home... there wasn't a stick of furniture inside the house (I assume there was bedroom furniture upstairs). From what we could find, the family was leveraged to the hilt to keep an outward appearance of "wealth." Speaking with some friends, we learned that a situation like that is not uncommon.

Give me a working class neighborhood any day of the week. I have no time for people like that. If you like that or can ignore it, HHH will be fine. If it annoys you, Commack may be the better choice.

To the original point, HHH is a still a very good SD. It's just not the be all/end all "bestest" utopia that some of the residents want you to believe. As has been stated, Commack is just as good.
Like I said before, my own experience has been VERY different than yours. Maybe things have changed since your wife was on an elementary school PTA- but nowadays they practically have to beg to get people involved- to chair events, to volunteer, even to be class mom.

I will agree though that there is a strong feeling of 'keeping up with the Joneses' and outward appearances in general. Definitely a much stronger feeling of this than when I was in Huntington. That is why everyone has such nice front yards lol!!!! Ever notice that people here have the nicest professionally landscaped front yards ever?? Definitely makes sense with what you're saying. But the no furniture thing- that is just weird unless they just moved in. I've never encountered that before lol- beyond strange.

Old 05-20-2015, 03:08 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,144,960 times
Quote:

The OP might find this map helpful as to which neighborhoods go to which schools.
http://www.halfhollowhills.k12.ny.us...o_4_020714.pdf

I literally can't think of a single person I know in who is not a white collar professional. I'm sure not everyone is, but my point was just that in other districts non-white collar workers might be more prevalent, which may or may not make a difference to the OP. But maybe I'm wrong. I certainly haven't met each & every person in HHH lol!

Great map, thanks! Wish it were a little more legible

The HHH SD areas in Deer Park, E. Farmingdale and some of southern most portion of the SD (including Town of Babylon) are more affordable, and as a result not necessarily as "white collar".

Old 05-20-2015, 03:13 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,540,030 times
Quote:
Like I said before, my own experience has been VERY different than yours. Maybe things have changed since your wife was on an elementary school PTA- but nowadays they practically have to beg to get people involved- to chair events, to volunteer, even to be class mom.
Then, yes, things have changed. My wife was never a PTA type, but back then the queen bee would hand pick her drones. It was funny, in a sad way, to watch the other moms vying for attention at various events. I guess times are tougher now so no one has as much free time for those things.

Not sure which is worse - catty parents on the PTA or no one stepping up to volunteer.

Quote:
But the no furniture thing- that is just weird unless they just moved in. I've never encountered that before lol- beyond strange.
I wouldn't believe it if I didn't see it myself. They didn't just move there - had been there for at least a few years. It is over-the-top strange. Even odder that I was told the house wasn't the only one.

Like the old song goes "No one knows, what goes on behind closed doors." It is a strange world.

Old 05-20-2015, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Great map, thanks! Wish it were a little more legible

The HHH SD areas in Deer Park, E. Farmingdale and some of southern most portion of the SD (including Town of Babylon) are more affordable, and as a result not necessarily as "white collar".
Hmmmmm the map is perfectly legible for me but it takes a while to load properly...and I have to zoom in a lot lol since I'm looking at it on my phone!

You are probably right about those neighborhoods...

Old 05-20-2015, 05:58 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,877,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvres View Post
There is no rhyme or reason to the zoning. Signal Hill Elementary is literally next door to HS West but it is zoned for HS East. You do not go to the closest school. That changed when they rezoned about 15 years ago to balance the population and diversity.
That sucks for kids in the same area who are friends.

Old 05-20-2015, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
That sucks for kids in the same area who are friends.
They actually rezoned when they closed two of the elementary schools- the zoning makes perfect sense now & for the most part, kids in the same neighborhood go to the same schools. Really the only exception is Wheatley Heights because they have to divide up that area to ensure equal diversity in all of the schools. But even there they tried to keep the neighborhoods together as much as possible- there was actually a lot of discussion about this and it seems like they did a good job.

The problem before they rezoned was that as there were new neighborhoods developed, they had to put that neighborhood in whichever school had the space, so it became a bit of a patchwork.

The only aspect that is geographically odd is that you might live right next door to HS East but you are zoned for HS West. But so is everyone else in your neighborhood so it's no big deal. the reason for that is that the two high schools are really just slightly north & south of each other rather than truly east and west. So to most students it doesn't make a big difference geographically to to East vs West. This is completely a non-issue for the elementary & middle schools since the schools are a part of the area that is zoned for them.

Old 05-21-2015, 06:22 PM

26 posts, read 65,857 times
Post this in another thread, but repost here to get some more suggestions:

I am looking at HHH areas too as the OP, trying to commute to Roslyn. Will the traffic be managable?
I am looking mostly at the HHH part of Melville and West of part of Dix Hills (at least west of Deer Park Ave), with a budgert of 800K. Can you recommend the nice areas based on above strings?

Another thing, I noticed is that the HHH seems pretty slow in selling the houses? Worry that the area might not hold the value that much compared to other areas like Syosset. Is my observation correct?

Old 04-25-2019, 07:56 PM
yib

5 posts, read 23,230 times
I know this is an old thread.......but wondering which school district you decided on? Why? Any feedback is apppreciated as we are looking at this area and have a middle schooler. CSD or HH?

Old 04-26-2019, 06:58 PM

592 posts, read 919,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yib View Post
I know this is an old thread.......but wondering which school district you decided on? Why? Any feedback is apppreciated as we are looking at this area and have a middle schooler. CSD or HH?
Lot's of things to consider but HHH has much lower tax rates because of the 110 corridor commercial tax base.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island