Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 10:48 AM

5 posts, read 11,401 times

Advertisements

Our family is relocating from out of state to Long Island. We have narrowed it down to Centerport and Northport, but are having a tough time deciding between the two.

We have children in both elementary and middle school. Currently, our middle school has a huge bullying problem.

We know that it is prevalent at the middle school age (and unavoidable), but do either of these school districts have a reputation for bullying?

Is one school more "accepting" of new kids than the other? Does either district go out of their way to help new students assimilate?

Thanks in advance. Looking for both positive and negative experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 11:26 AM

198 posts, read 253,061 times
We had been looking for a house in Northport just a few months ago. We ended up buying in Centerport (HBCA (Huntington Beach Community Association, Centerport, New York) area) and we will be moving there next month.

We were renting in Northport Village for a year and liked the town a lot. The town park is gorgeous and the feel of the town is amazing -- everyone is a Runner -- there are always people on streets in the village (we liked that) . We just were not able to find anything in the village. It feels like most of residents are there for generations and are reluctant to move.

What we liked about HBCA is that it has a community feel and that it is so close to the water. There is a private beach that has a kid camp during summer // social events etc-- to me it felt like perfect opportunity to mix in and make aquitances early on. So we pulled a trigger on a house that we liked about a month ago.

PS
We have two kids and our older kid is starting K next year, so I can't comment about bullying just yet.

Old 04-27-2015, 01:48 PM

592 posts, read 922,498 times
Time to get anywhere south/north from both places is a big concern and will be an even bigger concern moving forward as towns implement "traffic calming" and more developments arise (Oak Tree Dairy).

Watch out for the property taxes in Northport. They look nice now but if they lose their lawsuit with the power company over the property tax issue, they will skyrocket.

Old 04-27-2015, 02:35 PM

22,726 posts, read 36,937,776 times
As mikeroz pointed out, people tend to grow up in Northport and then move back in adulthood. It can be annoying to live in a town like that. It won't lead to bullying, but you'll meet people who have to drop it in every conversation that they grew up there, and may already have a core of friends. But it's a lovely town and it's close to Huntington when you want something bigger. It is a pain to get anywhere from there, though.

Old 04-27-2015, 03:39 PM

34 posts, read 43,349 times
We were looking at places in Northport, before settling in Greenlawn (largely because as "chetstash" mentioned it can add a little bit of time to your commute if you are trying to get to a major road at peak times). For kids Harborfields, Northport, and Elwood are all great school districts. That said other than that its all a tossup depending on the type of house/property you are looking for. No matter where you land you will probably be spending lots of time in Northport Village.

Old 04-27-2015, 04:38 PM

We like Huntington a lot too so we hang out there too. YMCA is great and restaurant scene is better than northport,s.
Let's also not forget summer music festivals in the park

Old 04-28-2015, 11:36 AM

5 posts, read 11,401 times
Thank you very much!

Old 04-28-2015, 01:05 PM

1,441 posts, read 2,759,266 times
I vote Northport. Can't beat the charm and historic feel the village brings.

Old 04-28-2015, 05:09 PM

33 posts, read 64,846 times
Northport Village is indeed charming. One of the prettiest on LI. Centerport lacks a village square/Main Street, but Northport's is only 5 -10 minutes away. Centerport is quieter, which appeals to some. The schools are a strong notch higher in Centerport (Harborfields), but both districts are among the very best on Long Island. I moved here (Centerport) several years ago and remember a few realtors telling me (and demonstrating with property listings) that I could expect to pay up to 100K more for the same type of house/land in Centerport versus Northport. This was true. Saw some houses in Northport that I really loved, and I almost caved because of it (I could not afford the same level of house in Centerport) but nonetheless, I felt Centerport was the better investment. I could have purchased more house in Northport, but have never doubted my decision. I didn't love that Northport, which is bigger, has some areas that are not so great, whereas pretty much everything in tiny Centerport is really quite amazing. Also, both areas are not diverse at all but Centerport is truly a homogenous area (one of the few left on LI) and I like that too. People here seem to value that a lot. Snobby yes, but not a big deal after you get used to it. Some people think lack of diversity is a minus, I know, but these are my opinions and I'm offering them as a tool to assist the OP. Very happy in C-Port, and frankly, I can't think of anyone who isn't. Hope this helps

Old 04-28-2015, 08:35 PM

I think tables might be turning as far as affordability.

Northport was more expensive than Centerport. I only looked in the village though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island