Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 07:59 PM

85 posts, read 433,431 times

Advertisements

i was shocked to read that coram, long island has the largest cluster of sexual offenders on the island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 08:55 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,693,899 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Coram

Quote:
Originally Posted by snforstuff View Post
...coram, long island ...

For those who may not be familiar with Coram:

Coram is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the central part of the Town of Brookhaven, in the central part of Suffolk County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Coram in the Town of Brookhaven is bordered on the north by Hamlet of Terryville, the Hamlet of Mount Sinai and the Hamlet of Miller Place; on the east by the Hamlet of Middle Island and the Hamlet of Gordon Heights; on the south by the Hamlet of Medford; and, on the west by the Hamlet of Farmingville, the Hamlet of Selden and the Hamlet of Terryville.

The Hamlet of Coram has a different border than does the "Coram, NY 11727" postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Coram, NY 11727" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of Coram and a place can have other than a "Coram, NY 11727" mailing address and be in the Hamlet of Coram): places that have a "Coram, NY 11727" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Coram are in the Hamlet of Middle Island, the Hamlet of Gordon Heights, the Hamlet of Medford and the Hamlet of Selden; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Coram with a "Selden, NY 11784", "Port Jefferson Station, NY 11776" and "Middle Island, NY 11953" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County):

https://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 01-15-2008, 10:45 PM

101 posts, read 377,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snforstuff View Post
i was shocked to read that coram, long island has the largest cluster of sexual offenders on the island.
Yeah in Gordon Heights by Homestead Village. It is a shame for all the hardworking people that live there. I grew up in Coram back in the day and it is sad to see what it has become. The Sequoia section off Pine rd is where I lived and it was a great place to grow up. Coram now has this undeserved stigma to it. It's a shame.

Old 01-16-2008, 06:48 AM

Default For those who may not be familiar with Gordon Heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytochris View Post
Yeah in Gordon Heights ...

For those who may not be familiar with Gordon Heights:

Gordon Heights is a hamlet (an unincorporated community) in the central part of the Town of Brookhaven, Suffolk County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Gordon Heights in the Town of Brookhaven is bordered on the north by the Hamlets of Coram and the Hamlet of Middle Island; on the east by the Hamlet of Middle Island; on the south by the Hamlet of Yaphank and the Hamlet of Medford; and, on the west by the Hamlet of Coram.

Gordon Heights is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the hamlet name in their mailing address: places in the Hamlet of Gordon Heights have a "Coram, NY 11727" or "Middle Island, NY 11953" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County):

Old 01-16-2008, 07:43 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,934,997 times
Quote:
Yeah in Gordon Heights by Homestead Village. It is a shame for all the hardworking people that live there. I grew up in Coram back in the day and it is sad to see what it has become. The Sequoia section off Pine rd is where I lived and it was a great place to grow up. Coram now has this undeserved stigma to it. It's a shame.
I grew up in the "w section" of coram. It was beautiful & it was a nice place to live. It is a shame the gordon heights is so out of control. I think it has gotten worse since the SCPD moved the 6th precindt several miles away into Selden. That area in Coram really needed the police presence.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:26 AM

Default For those who may not be familiar with Selden

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyFG View Post
I think it has gotten worse since the SCPD moved the 6th precindt several miles away into Selden.

For those who may not be familiar with Selden:

First called Westfield, Selden is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the west part of the Town of Brookhaven, in the center part of Suffolk County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Selden in the Town of Brookhaven is bordered on the north by Hamlet of Terryville; on the east the Hamlet of Coram; on the south by the Hamlet of Farmingville; and, on the west by the Hamlet of Centereach.

The Hamlet of Selden has a different border than does the "Selden, NY 11784" postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Selden, NY 11784" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of Selden and a place can have other than a "Selden, NY 11784" mailing address and be in the Hamlet of Selden): places that have a "Selden, NY 11784" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Selden are in the Hamlet of Farmingville and in the Hamlet of Coram; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Selden with a "Centereach, NY 11720" mailing address.

Old 01-16-2008, 05:57 PM

265 posts, read 945,490 times
Everywhere in Coram i've been to so far is pretty nice, besides Gordon Heights

Old 01-16-2008, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyFG View Post
It is a shame the gordon heights is so out of control. I think it has gotten worse since the SCPD moved the 6th precindt several miles away into Selden. That area in Coram really needed the police presence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John9l0 View Post
Everywhere in Coram i've been to so far is pretty nice, besides Gordon Heights

While the Hamlet of Gordon Heights shares a postal zone, "Coram, NY 11727", with the Hamlet of Coram (and, also shares a postal zone, "Middle Island, NY 11953", with the Hamlet of Middle Island), the Hamlet of Gordon Heights is separate from and is not part of the Hamlet of Coram.

Old 01-18-2008, 05:26 AM

101 posts, read 377,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
While the Hamlet of Gordon Heights shares a postal zone, "Coram, NY 11727", with the Hamlet of Coram (and, also shares a postal zone, "Middle Island, NY 11953", with the Hamlet of Middle Island), the Hamlet of Gordon Heights is separate from and is not part of the Hamlet of Coram.

While technically you are correct the residents there from the late 70's to early 90s and I am sure even still (I don't live there anymore) refer to Gordon Heights as being part of Coram with some of it in Middle Island but only a small part. So the stigma of all the news articles and crime always focus on Coram underservedly. It also had to do with the police station, which since moved, being quoted by residents as being in Coram with homestead village right across the street. Even for a while and still now residents off Pine Rd tried to distance themselves from Coram's undeserved image by calling themselves Tanglewood Hills. Only people who lived in Coram will truely appreciate it and see through it's stigma. Even today Coram is great. Unfortunately as people and businesses flee the area where 112 and 25 intersect (where Home Depot is) is now becoming rife with people drinking open containers and hanging out by Path Liquors and in the woods behind the beverage store. It is really a shame. I miss the teen years when my best friend and I woulld walk to Caldor to catch the bus to Smithhaven mall. Now you would not even allow a teen up there by themselves. And hanging out in the parking lot of the UA movie theater (which is now closed). It's a shame. It is directly connected to the police station moving.

Old 01-18-2008, 10:50 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,730,092 times
Quote:
While technically you are correct the residents there from the late 70's to early 90s and I am sure even still (I don't live there anymore) refer to Gordon Heights as being part of Coram with some of it in Middle Island but only a small part. So the stigma of all the news articles and crime always focus on Coram underservedly. It also had to do with the police station, which since moved, being quoted by residents as being in Coram with homestead village right across the street. Even for a while and still now residents off Pine Rd tried to distance themselves from Coram's undeserved image by calling themselves Tanglewood Hills. Only people who lived in Coram will truely appreciate it and see through it's stigma. Even today Coram is great. Unfortunately as people and businesses flee the area where 112 and 25 intersect (where Home Depot is) is now becoming rife with people drinking open containers and hanging out by Path Liquors and in the woods behind the beverage store. It is really a shame. I miss the teen years when my best friend and I woulld walk to Caldor to catch the bus to Smithhaven mall. Now you would not even allow a teen up there by themselves. And hanging out in the parking lot of the UA movie theater (which is now closed). It's a shame. It is directly connected to the police station moving.
That was all happening while the precinct was in the old location, the relocation only served to hasten the downward spiral.

It really is a shame; traveling north from that area (Miller Place Rd? by the FD) there are some lovely looking neighborhoods which have been stigmatized by this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island