Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 11:41 AM

24 posts, read 53,449 times

Advertisements

I've been wrestling for months with the issue of which area / school district would be the best fit for our family. Here are the nuts and bolts:

House budget: up to $1M (but lower if possible, obviously)
Geographical: can be nassau or suffolk but on north shore (no lirr commute)
Taxes: don't want to go over $20k
School: this gets tricky...

My two kids are currently in 1st and 2nd grade. Both are bright (tested into NYC's G+T program), but one has inattentive ADHD and possible mild ASD. He currently receives speech and OT and is in an integrated classroom environment at school. His doctor calls him "twice exceptional" or 2E.

The primary concern is obviously education. I would like to enter a school district that offers strong academics and many enrichment options (art, music, sports, etc.) for both kids, AND plenty of support for my special needs kid.

We are primarily thinking about Syosset and HHH. Does anyone have any personal experience with special services in either school districts? Would you recommend another district altogether? Please let me know. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 11:45 AM

883 posts, read 3,724,309 times
HHH is great for special ed- I know people who moved here specifically for their services. Not sure about Syosset- I'm sure others here can chime in.

Old 03-31-2015, 06:06 AM

1 posts, read 1,470 times
Default Syosset

I've only been living in Long Island for 2.5 years and when we arrived my son, who is now 8yrs old, was
general education with some hyperactivity issues but no learning disabilities, no need f8r O/T , no P /T
and he was a kid who enjoyed school but could use to focus more and probably would have done fine in district
with some additional help. Even though this area wasn't on your list of choices I have to put my experience out there to
hopefully help anyone who comes across similar issues with a disrict ajd special education.
AVOID PORT WASHINGTON SCHOOL DISTRICT at all costs. The short of it is we were literally strong armed
into having my son taken out of district and placed in a BOCES school for behavior isdues 18 miles from
home as I was going thru a separation and without car. The Port Washington district used Child Protective Services
more than once as a way to put me under pressure since I was fighting for my son to get services in district.
The entire process andvpoor placement has had a negative impact on my son academically, socially, etc.
Back to your question I've recently heard great praise about Syosset and Jericho for Special and General Ed.

Good luck,

Old 03-31-2015, 07:29 AM

1,027 posts, read 2,511,962 times
I've heard HHH is fantastic for SpEd. Also great for gifted. You would probably like Melville, Tuxedo area.

Old 03-31-2015, 06:23 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,649,181 times
This may be way out of your geographical area, but Three Village Central School District has the IG program for 4th through 6th with a pullout program in the 3rd grade, and also has a very good special program.

They have the last 2 junior highs on LI, and have kept their tracking instead of swinging over to the cheaper and inferior heterogeneous classrooms. No one wants those.

Old 03-31-2015, 06:31 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,511,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaII View Post
This may be way out of your geographical area, but Three Village Central School District has the IG program for 4th through 6th with a pullout program in the 3rd grade, and also has a very good special program.

They have the last 2 junior highs on LI, and have kept their tracking instead of swinging over to the cheaper and inferior heterogeneous classrooms. No one wants those.
My friend is in 3V and said the IG program is to capacity, because Mount cannot hold all the IG students and some children aren't getting in due to sheer volume, not capability. Two of OP's children would possibly be at Mount, and one would be going to Arrowhead, possibly. Although for ADHD, probably not. Idk if I'd like my children separated. I think that calling them junior highs doesn't mean anything anymore. 3V has no choice in terms of keeping the grades where they are because the student body is so large and schools are to capacity. I still cannot believe they didn't break the district into two high schools rather than add the addition to Ward Melville.

Last edited by iluvmycuties; 03-31-2015 at 06:45 PM..

Old 03-31-2015, 10:53 PM

1,405 posts, read 1,547,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeygorilla View Post
HHH is great for special ed- I know people who moved here specifically for their services. Not sure about Syosset- I'm sure others here can chime in.
I had three kids go through the Half Hollow Hill SD. As much as i can't stand the district and the nutty parents, I have to agree with the above statement. For special needs, the district delivers.

edited to add: although in the $800-1MM price range, you are going to be right at, if not over, that $20k property/school tax number. For a similar area in Nassau, I think definitely over $20k in taxes.

Old 03-31-2015, 11:48 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,196,012 times
I know many people who chose HHH when special needs are an issue. The size of the district lends itself to many enrichment options and the school is usually very well regarded academically.

I have to agree with the previous comment regarding RE taxes. You can find a nice home in your price range but will get close to or at times exceed your targeted tax amount.
Syosset will generally get you less for your money with mostly higher taxes.

Old 04-01-2015, 02:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,385 times
HHH will give you bigger house than Syosset for same amount of money. Longer commute to the city if you need it.

I am not sure about special ed in HHH, but enrichment programs are disappearing at our school. Number of clubs have been cut each year.

Gifted program is half-day pullout in 3rd grade and a full day in 4th and 5th grades.

Friends of me have a kid with ADHD in SYosset and are pretty happy with amount of services he receives.

Old 04-02-2015, 07:26 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,529,239 times
Syosset is a better district generally so if that's your priority there's no reason to look elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island