Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2008, 06:49 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,935,998 times

Advertisements

So often I see/hear people reference the number of students that go on to 4 year colleges as an important number.
From personal experience, what do you think the drop out/transfer into community college rate of kids that get into 4 yr schools is on LI really?
I'd say its more than 50%.
So we use that number but its just another smoke screen by overpaid school administrators used to fog the truth that most LI districts aren't as "GREAT" as people living in them would like to think they are.

Just about any kid on LI can get into a state school or a small private school (if their parents can pay)if they have a decent SAT score & slightly better than average grades, the thing is they need to apply. Lots of lower income districts have crappy guidance departments & the kids don't have the guidance & support or money at home to apply.
Many of districts that have lower #s of students going to four year colleges actually produce students that go & COMPLETE suffolk or Nassau, then transfer to a four year & become successful. And kids that become HVAC or plumbers who in todays world will out earn kids that waste four years getting some vague business degree.

What's your view on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2008, 09:51 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,016,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyFG View Post
So often I see/hear people reference the number of students that go on to 4 year colleges as an important number.
From personal experience, what do you think the drop out/transfer into community college rate of kids that get into 4 yr schools is on LI really?
I'd say its more than 50%.
So we use that number but its just another smoke screen by overpaid school administrators used to fog the truth that most LI districts aren't as "GREAT" as people living in them would like to think they are.

Just about any kid on LI can get into a state school or a small private school (if their parents can pay)if they have a decent SAT score & slightly better than average grades, the thing is they need to apply. Lots of lower income districts have crappy guidance departments & the kids don't have the guidance & support or money at home to apply.
Many of districts that have lower #s of students going to four year colleges actually produce students that go & COMPLETE suffolk or Nassau, then transfer to a four year & become successful. And kids that become HVAC or plumbers who in todays world will out earn kids that waste four years getting some vague business degree.

What's your view on this?
I think the dropout and transfer to community college thing probably has to do with costs. These days it usually takes longer than 4 years to complete a degree. In some fields you then need to move on to really get a good paying job out there (to either Masters or Doctorate). It's much more financially prudent to go to a cheaper community college then transfer to a regular college once you've reached a certain point.
As for how schools are on LI. It tends to appear that the "better" school districts are the ones with "more money". I think that school is 90% parents attitude and participation at home as well as the student. Although I do believe environemnt is also important. For example, if your student is in with a population whose attitude toward schools, or who come from homes that do not really get invovled with their kids education for whatever reason (either they are not as educated themselves and therefore can not help, do not speak english well and thefore can not help, or are busy working numerous jobs with lack of time..etc.) then your child may suffer in that environment. Now, I went to thruogh the North babylon SD and me and my brothers did just fine (ones got a doctorate in genetics, the other an engineering degree both from Stony Brook). I don't feel your child has to be in an "money " school district like Jericho, Roslyn, or North Shore to do well and that I believe is a myth that a lot of people buy into.

You just have to look at the overall performance of the schools. Keep in mind, however, that sometimes numbers aren't always what they appear to be in the "money" districts.. if you know what I mean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island