Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 11:49 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,539,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
sorry to be OT, what is Asian looking Caucasian? I've never heard of that term. You mean he is some Russian Mongolian? or half Asian. Seems like a odd term.
Gilbert Godfried?

Biden is starting look asian also.

Back to the OP... I think its better for your future chinese/asian looking kids to go to GC.
Great Neck is already full of super smart competitive asians, your kids will probably be stressed out.
Whereas in GC, your kids will have less academic competition and its still a good school system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 01:24 PM

796 posts, read 1,756,253 times
More into academics than sports?

Stay away from Garden City then. There is a surpirising amount of several generation lacrosse dynasty families in GC. Many families have the attitude of riding on sports to get into college, while disregarding academics. If your kids don't play sports or are bad at them, they'll get bullied about it, or at least made to feel "unpopular" by the "cool" sports kids, until 6th grade Also, GC's STEM program is abysmal.

The Asian population in GC is small, but growing.

Old 11-11-2014, 01:32 PM

Pinuzzo, I think what you state is the exact reason why they should go to GC. Since everyone is so focused on LAX, its probably easy for some smart asian kid to be on the top academically. Who cares if they get bullied, thats life and it ends after Jr high when everyone outgrows it. In Great Neck, they would be just another asian kid competing with other super smart asian kids.

Old 11-11-2014, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
Pinuzzo, I think what you state is the exact reason why they should go to GC. Since everyone is so focused on LAX, its probably easy for some smart asian kid to be on the top academically. Who cares if they get bullied, thats life and it ends after Jr high when everyone outgrows it. In Great Neck, they would be just another asian kid competing with other super smart asian kids.
No offense, but I think that's a really awful philosophy to have. Move to a town just so they can outscore everyone there? Why don't they just move to Hempstead then? Not only could their kids be the smartest ones there, but they'll also save some $800,000 off a house.

The purpose of choosing a place to live shouldn't be, "Where can I stand out?" It should be, "Where do I belong?" People belong where they are surrounded by those with similar mind sets as them. This way, it's easier to make friends, share experiences, and bounce ideas off each other. If OP moved to Garden City, they'd meet a lot of people and families that they'd have trouble connecting with, like families who spend their weekends at the Country Club, golf course (there are 3 in Garden City), or lacrosse games. Of course, if OP tries hard enough, they will be able to find like-minded academically motivated families; it just wouldn't be as easy as it would be somewhere else.

Both GN high schools have many more resources for academically motivated students. For example, GNS has robotics team: Great Neck South Robotics - US First Team 2638

There is no such robotics team to speak of in Garden City. They have a nice lacrosse team though

Kids learn to be academically-motivated by being around other academically-motivated kids from academically-motivated families and being supplied academic resources. And that's just what OP wants.

Old 11-11-2014, 03:43 PM

So you are saying Irish Catholic Lax nuts don't want asians moving into GC?

Old 11-11-2014, 04:59 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Quote:
That's pretty much the exact opposite of what he's saying, which is that academically minded Asians would probably be happier in a town with like-minded people whose kids will share similar interests and goals (not lacrosse goals) and are less concerned with which travel lacrosse team and beach club to join and more concerned with LEGO robotics and STEM programs.

Garden City has many wonderful qualities but it's a town where Wall Street jobs have been passed down from generation to generation and now that method is sort of floundering and the villagers haven't quite caught up. it's not unheard of there for kids to go off to college on a full ride and be completely unable to handle the work of college level classes.

Old 11-11-2014, 05:57 PM

I don't claim to know anything about GC, and I actually grew up and graduated from Great Neck South in 92... but is the school in GC really that academically bad or is everyone just exaggerating it?? I always assumed while it was not elite academically it was at least above average.

I still stand by the claim that its better for a nerdy asian kid to be in good class standing at a non asian dominated school, then to be just one of many nerdy asians at an asian dominated school. I'm Chinese and am looking to move back to the North Shore myself and I'm avoiding Great Neck south, and focusing more on houses in Great Neck North/ Manhasset/Port Washington/Roslyn. I want my kids to grow up competing around white people like I did when Great Neck was predominantly jewish, because they will be better prepared for the real world. You will not go far in NYC, if all you know is asian culture. You need to learn how to Schmooze with all types of people to succeed.

Old 11-11-2014, 06:39 PM

131 posts, read 332,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
That's pretty much the exact opposite of what he's saying, which is that academically minded Asians would probably be happier in a town with like-minded people whose kids will share similar interests and goals (not lacrosse goals) and are less concerned with which travel lacrosse team and beach club to join and more concerned with LEGO robotics and STEM programs.

Garden City has many wonderful qualities but it's a town where Wall Street jobs have been passed down from generation to generation and now that method is sort of floundering and the villagers haven't quite caught up. it's not unheard of there for kids to go off to college on a full ride and be completely unable to handle the work of college level classes.
If you look at the DATA, you will see that Garden City High School is ranked the 8th best high school in all of NY State based on 2012-2013 TEST SCORES. Great Neck South High School is ranked 78th in the state and Great Neck North is ranked 167th. This is based on objective comparable data and not on anything subjective. Look it up in the schooldigger website.

Garden City High School's average math score is 97 vs 86 and 78 in Great Neck South and North, respectively.

Garden City High School's average reading score is 98 vs 97 in Great Neck South and North.

Based on 2012-2013 TEST SCORES, Garden City High School ranks above every other high school in Long Island including Manhasset, Roslyn, Jericho, etc.

Last edited by Tomais; 11-11-2014 at 07:02 PM..

Old 11-11-2014, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomais View Post
If you look at the DATA, you will see that Garden City High School is ranked the 8th best high school in all of NY State based on 2012-2013 TEST SCORES. Great Neck South High School is ranked 78th in the state and Great Neck North is ranked 167th. This is based on objective comparable data and not on anything subjective. Look it up in the schooldigger website.

Garden City High School's average math score is 97 vs 86 and 78 in Great Neck South and North, respectively.

Garden City High School's average reading score is 98 vs 97 in Great Neck South and North.

Based on 2012-2013 TEST SCORES, Garden City High School ranks above every other high school in Long Island including Manhasset, Roslyn, Jericho, etc.

I'm unsure where you're getting your data.

Average scores on the SATs

SAT Scores:
SCHOOL -- SCORE/2400 -- #RANK IN LONG ISLAND

Great Neck South -- 1865 -- #1
Great Neck North -- 1708 -- #10
Garden City -- 1673 -- #12

Unfortunately, Newsday replaced the high school Regents scores with unreliable data of a small sample-size, so they aren't really viable comparisons anymore from the above source.

Old 11-11-2014, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Garden City is 28% Irish and 23% Italian. The correct term is Irish-Italian Catholic Lax nuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island