Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2007, 08:18 AM

3 posts, read 21,250 times

Advertisements

I work in Kew Gardens and I am thinking of moving to Mineola, preferably near the LIRR to make my commute easier. Can anyone tell me how the schools are, the neighborhood and does the station have a parking lot?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2007, 09:41 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Mineola

For those who may not be familiar with Mineola:

Mineola is a village (incorporated in 1906) in the south-central part of the Town of North Hempstead, in the west part of Nassau County, along the North Hempstead/Hempstead town line. (A very small part of the Village of Mineola, 11 acres, is in the Town of Hempstead.)

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Village of Mineola in the Town of North Hempstead is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of Herricks, The Village of Williston Park, the Village of East Williston and the Hamlet of Roslyn Heights; on the east by the Village of Old Westbury, the Village of Westbury and the Hamlet of Carle Place; on the south by the Village of Garden City in the Town of Hempstead (the North Hempstead/Hempstead town line); and on the west by the Hamlet of Garden City Park.

The Village of Mineola has a different border than does the "Mineola, NY 11501" postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Mineola, NY 11501" mailing address and not be in the Village of Mineola and a place can be in the Village of Mineola and have other than a "Mineola, NY 11501" mailing address): places that have a "Mineola, NY 11501" mailing address but are not in the Village of Mineola are in the Village of Garden City in the Town of Hempstead, and at the same time, there are places in the Village of Mineola with a "Williston Park, NY 11596" or a "Carle Place, NY 11514" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County):

https://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 12-30-2007, 09:51 AM

1,919 posts, read 7,106,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny512 View Post
I work in Kew Gardens and I am thinking of moving to Mineola, preferably near the LIRR to make my commute easier. Can anyone tell me how the schools are, the neighborhood and does the station have a parking lot?
What else are you looking to know? I believe Mineola has a high proportion of rentals, which really isn't good for overall property value.

What are some of your other wants and needs, besides the train line?

Old 12-30-2007, 09:54 AM

7,922 posts, read 9,146,005 times
Mineola is a nice area. It is an incorporated village which means you'll pay more in taxes, but will have the village to look after problems like illegal housing.
It is composed primarily of whites with a large Portugese population. The schools are okay and somewhat diverse as they take in students from parts of Albertson, Roslyn Heights, Williston Park and Garden City Park.

Lots of condos/coops within walking distance of LIRR/Winthrop Hospital. Houses around that area near Chaminade High School are very nice. Only somewhat iffy area was Willis Ave and Jericho, but the apartment building some of the poorer people lived in was bought out and replaced with luxury condos. I haven't been to that exact area in a few months, so I don't know how it is now.

All in all, I really like Mineola. Nice community, good business district, and easy access to public transportation and highways.

Old 12-30-2007, 10:11 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
It is an incorporated village which means you'll pay more in taxes ...

It is not necessarily true that property taxes for properties located in villages (municipal corporations) are greater than property taxes for similar properties in adjoining hamlets (unincorporated areas). There are many villages, even those with their own village police force, that have lower property taxes than similar properties in adjoining hamlets because by being located in a village, a property can escape taxes for services, such as parks, that the town, in which the village is located, levies on properties in the hamlets in that town if the village decides not to provide such services or provides them cheaper.

By the way, all villages are by NYS definition municipal corporations and thus it is not necessary to refer to a village as an "incorporated village". The use of the term "incorporated village" implies that there are "unincorporated villages and there are no such geographic entities as "unincorporated villages". Unincorporated areas are hamlets.

For the NYS definition of county, city, town, village, hamlet and postal zone, please see:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...-glossary.html

Old 01-15-2008, 03:58 PM

1 posts, read 7,858 times
Default Mineola

Quote:
Hi,

I live in Mineola. Depending on where you live the LIRR is in walking distance. If you are looking for rentals, there are a number of Apartments buildings within a half mile of the train station. If you need to part there are a number of municipal areas where you can park. If you get there early enough you can find free parking on some streets within a couple blocks of the station.

Old 10-19-2009, 02:28 PM

7 posts, read 23,393 times
Quote:
Station has a parking lot but you will never get a free spot. You can try parking in the garage but have to get there bright an early to get a spot these days and it's about $5 a day.

Why not move to Kew Gardens or Forest Hills instead of Mineola? Too many problems there and too much corruption!

Old 10-19-2009, 05:08 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,139,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
Chaminade High School
the school that has no stairs.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:51 PM

308 posts, read 445,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KENNY GUIDO View Post
the school that has no stairs.
Wow, that joke is still going around? I first heard it almost 20 years ago.

Oh, wait. It's no joke.

Old 10-20-2009, 01:03 PM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
Mineola is a decent and average place to live. Nothing too bad, nothing too great.
Traffic is a little tough. During the holidays it's a little worse because of proximity to the mega malls up the road. And you must like people of Portugese decent, because there sure are a buncha them in Mineola. My ex sis-in-law is a Portugese Mineolean. Large family, 10 kids. Half the kids did well in the schools, the other half did not.
Overall, I would rate it as "OK".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island