Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When you were in high school, did your school have any restrictions on bathroom use for students?
Yes. 15 45.45%
No. 18 54.55%
I don't remember. 0 0%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 11:22 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,295,819 times

Advertisements

I read the following story about Northport High School making a new policy that students must show ID and sign a roster each time they seek to enter a student bathroom:

Northport High School requires bathroom sign-in - Newsday
Quote:
Northport High School students have joined those at other Long Island schools who have to sign in and out to use the bathroom.

Principal Irene McLaughlin said this week that the new policy was driven by an effort to keep students safe. McLaughlin said officials were trying to prevent problems including drug use, bullying and vandalism.
Students and parents are unhappy about these new restrictions, but according to the school, it actually results in bathrooms being MORE available to students than the previous policy on bathrooms:

Quote:
Before the policy, officials kept some of the school's bathrooms locked at certain times of day and prevented students from using the facilities between classes. Now all bathrooms are open during school hours, including between periods.
Here's another source, which includes at the very end a reproduction of the actual letter sent to parents announcing the new policy:

Long Island high school requires students to wear IDs, sign in and out of bathroom - The Washington Post

Quote:
Irene McLaughlin, principal of Northport High School, wrote in a back-to-school letter sent to parents (see below) that the moves are being taken in an attempt to cut down on disciplinary problems and to prevent students from missing a lot of class time. She said that the sign-in process at the bathrooms will be monitored constantly by staff members. “It is important to note,” she wrote, that bathrooms in the commons are “open for use all day, even through change of periods” and that student bathrooms “in the instructional hallways” will be open during class.
In the Comments section of the Newsday story, several people commented that these measures were mainly taken because of heroin sales and use in the high school's bathrooms.

When you were in high school, did your school have any restrictions on bathroom use for students?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2014, 11:50 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,775,030 times
No. But was anything restricted when most of us were in high school? Now some kid will get a UTI and she the school. Round and round we go.

Old 09-13-2014, 11:57 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,906,226 times
Yes, I went to North Babylon HS in the 2000's and during some months you would have to sign in to use the BR...it was an on and off thing.

It was b/c ppl were writing threats against the principal and possibly b/c of bomb threats as well. The school did not have a drug problem.

It wasn't that much of an inconvenience since the lines were never that bad. Just about everybody with common-sense found it to be a ridiculous and useless rule. Even though I generally enjoyed my time at the school, I never understood most of the actions that the administration took...hopefully things are better and more rational now.

Old 09-13-2014, 12:28 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,063,955 times
Rational and School Administrators are not words to be used in the same sentence.

Old 09-13-2014, 02:05 PM

20,027 posts, read 20,831,761 times
No, but they restrict teaching.

Old 09-13-2014, 02:28 PM

5,046 posts, read 3,952,175 times
Once in a while. No biggie.

Old 09-13-2014, 03:17 PM

796 posts, read 1,755,804 times
Garden City High School did this a few years ago too for the same reason, a string of bomb threats written in bathroom stalls.

Old 09-13-2014, 04:03 PM

11,632 posts, read 12,693,738 times
I think it's a good idea. Lots of bad things go down in school bathrooms, not just in high schools either. I wish they had this policy when I was in school.

Old 09-13-2014, 11:20 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,041,618 times
My school didn't have any policies like that, but it was up to the individual teacher whether or not to allow students to use bathrooms during class. Many did not allow it. You could use bathrooms in between classes, but that could make it hard to get to your next class on time. Another caveat was that my high school building had 3 floors, but the student bathrooms on the 3rd floor were all blocked off since supposedly students vandalized them years earlier, so they were punishing us for the crimes of past students. Not surprisingly, the faculty bathrooms on the 3rd floor were not blocked off, but, like all faculty bathrooms, required a key that only faculty would have.

Old 09-14-2014, 07:58 AM

1,772 posts, read 3,234,916 times
back in the late sixties/early seventies we had to carry a large plywood pass that was about one foot square and had the room number of your classroom painted on it. Everyone knew where you were going, it was kind of embarrassing at the time !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island