Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2014, 10:44 AM

16 posts, read 149,442 times

Advertisements

I've been in my house for 5 years and have had to pump the cesspool twice a year, once things back up in the basement bathroom tub (yuk!). The cesspool is original to the house built in 1950s so it's the old block type, and there is the risk of it caving in.

The previous owners duped us by saying it was a new cesspool -- half right. They put in a new overflow about 3 years previous BUT that pool has never worked. The pipe connecting it to the original pool was not put in correctly and nothing was ever able to flow into it, so it's empty. I hate living with this situation and I'm afraid to have my children play on the front lawn.

We've gotten a few estimates to replace everything and were told we have to put in a septic tank -- Huntington law. So, we are about to cough over approx. $6,000 to fill in the old pools and put in a new tank. If they can salvage the newer overflow and get the pipe working they will use it as a second overflow, but it's unlikely.

The entire front lawn has to be ripped up and my beloved hydrangeas have to be dug out and replanted. We were also informed that it will also likely cause our front porch to collapse since they have to dig under it to get to the house pipe. So, we will also have to have the porch rebuilt.

Sigh. It's a huge investment and upheaval.

My question is this -- are we doing the right thing? I mean, I do not see septic tank covers at all around the neighborhood (they are pretty noticable) and I'm wondering how people are handling these situations. Are people just living with the old cesspools and pumping them? Are you putting in cesspools or septic tanks? If you've put it a new septic tank -- how did it go, who did you use, and how do you like it?

Ahh, life in suffolk county! Still lovingLI but this really sucks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2014, 11:37 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
I grew up in Huntington and ours was in the back heard which is why you may not see covers. And my parents' did collapse the day after a family gathering where my nieces and nephews were playing over it. Dodged a bullet that time.

Old 09-13-2014, 07:46 AM

570 posts, read 1,214,655 times
We've got the same problem, old cesspool, Huntington, but in the backyard! Houses are too close for regular equipment to get into the backyard easily.

What's the difference between a cesspool and a septic tank? On my street when neighbors replaced old cesspools I've seen the precast pools go in, asssuming that's not a septic tank. My next door neighbor had a minor collapse last winter in her backyard cesspool and the guy simply replaced several blocks and covered it back up - didn't know that was allowed.

For us to replace the cesspool would require re-piping things from the back to the front of the house and dig down deeper in the front yard since it's higher ground than where the pipes are now. Huge expense. Not something we can afford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island