Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 02:58 PM

73 posts, read 293,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Nice neighborhood, celebrate diversity.

How secure is your house?
Does the guy show any signs with being affiliated with a gang?

What does diversity have to do with this? Did the poster say the drug dealer was of a minority race? Did I miss it or is this just one of those unsubstantiated racist comments we sometimes see on this board?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 07:54 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,548,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Drug activity is increasing on LI, all over. I live near Hidden Pond Park in Islip, and there is heavy drug activity going on there...lots of cars coming and going, kids going in and out of the woods. They meet up with drug dealers who are playing handball and go into the woods to make deals. I let SCPD know about it, and there was a Public Safety guy in the park for about a week, but now he's gone and all the thugs and their trashy girlfriends are back. I couldn't believe when I saw a woman drop 3 girls off to hang out there who looked to be about 16 years old. I've seen people nodding off in cars and such. Prescription painkiller abuse is RAMPANT. Check your kids belongings for this stuff. It often leads to heroin abuse as it's a cheaper, quicker version of the same high.
Prescription painkillers/opiates are the new "in" drug. A few years ago it was cocaine, when I was in high school it was ecstasy. These things seem to go in cycles with marijuana and alcohol always having a strong fanbase amongst the kids. Believe it or not, heroin is actually cheaper, on average, than Oxycontin which provides a similar high. OC retails on the black market for anywhere between $0.50 to $1.00 per milligram, with normal doses anywhere between 80-160mg daily for heavy users. It's a really dangerous thing for these kids to mess with, because opiates carry a severe physical dependance with them and an incredibly painful withdrawal. Cocaine users can develop a strong mental addiction, but there's no comparison. Mixing opiates and alcohol is also incredibly dangerous, as well as opiates and other commonly abused pills like Xanax, muscle relaxers, Adderol, etc....I fear that a lot of kids nowadays have no idea what they're getting themselves into. Prescription drug abuse amongst adults is just as bad, possibly even worse since access to them is as easy as making a doctors appointment. I've worked plenty of jobs where Vicodin and Percocets are passed around like candy on Halloween, by people who would never EVER consider themselves drug users let alone drug abusers.

Sign of the times maybe? Historically, heroin has always seemed to pop up during economically depressed eras.

Old 07-31-2010, 11:25 AM

1 posts, read 1,480 times
I've had a similar problem and I live in East Northport. I called the police and they said they couldn't do anything, but if I see it again to call them and they will send an officer to the crime. By the time they would get their the transaction would be over and the call would have been a waste of time. I knew someone who knew someone in Narcotics and they began driving around the area and it stopped for a while, but it still happens now and again.

I read all the comments and I know this is years later, but this is reality.
1. There are drug problems EVERYWHERE, white, black, hispanic, whatever
2. ALL of Long Island has issues with drugs, esp. Heroin, especially richer towns hmmm like Northport. Rich Kids, no responsibility, where are the parents and even with parents around you can't have your kid on a leash.
3. It's hard to do something about it when ADULTS/ PARENTS are using drugs themselves so what do you expect the kids to do. This is the truth.

It is rare to meet people who don't do drugs, even white collared professionals are doing it.
I don't have the answers. No one does. If they say they do they are lying.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:17 AM

2,630 posts, read 5,018,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
Believe it or not, heroin is actually cheaper, on average, than Oxycontin .
Heroin is actually cheaper than CIGARETTES!!

Old 08-02-2010, 10:01 AM

1,302 posts, read 3,316,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENPT76 View Post
I've had a similar problem and I live in East Northport. I called the police and they said they couldn't do anything, but if I see it again to call them and they will send an officer to the crime. By the time they would get their the transaction would be over and the call would have been a waste of time. I knew someone who knew someone in Narcotics and they began driving around the area and it stopped for a while, but it still happens now and again.

I read all the comments and I know this is years later, but this is reality.
1. There are drug problems EVERYWHERE, white, black, hispanic, whatever
2. ALL of Long Island has issues with drugs, esp. Heroin, especially richer towns hmmm like Northport. Rich Kids, no responsibility, where are the parents and even with parents around you can't have your kid on a leash.
3. It's hard to do something about it when ADULTS/ PARENTS are using drugs themselves so what do you expect the kids to do. This is the truth.

It is rare to meet people who don't do drugs, even white collared professionals are doing it.
I don't have the answers. No one does. If they say they do they are lying.
Is it really "rare"...my daily interactions do not involve the majority of the people at work or in my neighborhood with dialated pupils or displaying an obvious "jones" for dope. Not being naive, Smithtown has the same problems as every other town, but your comments are a bit exaggerated.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:33 AM

556 posts, read 1,450,837 times
Try talking to the "dealer' and tell him to be a little more discreet.

Worked when neighbors did it to my old Fraternity house.

Old 08-06-2010, 06:44 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,791,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNewbie View Post
I have a drug dealer across the street from my house. All day long, cars pull up. The owner hops in. 10 minutes later, they drive back and the deal is done.

I've called the East Northport cops probably 20 times. 2 of my neighbors say they've called too. They've done nothing. Only when I get really beligerant will they send a copy to simply drive past the house.

Any suggestions? I don't know what I'd rather do - embarrass the lazy cops here or get this guy busted. Given the tax bill I just received, I almost believe I'd rather embarrass the cops.

Another LI town going to pot. Figures being close to Greenlawn.

Old 08-06-2010, 06:54 PM

20,319 posts, read 21,188,667 times
[quote=sean sean sean sean;5740151]Prescription painkillers/opiates are the new "in" drug. A few years ago it was cocaine, when I was in high school it was ecstasy. These things seem to go in cycles with marijuana and alcohol always having a strong fanbase amongst the kids. Believe it or not, heroin is actually cheaper, on average, than Oxycontin which provides a similar high. OC retails on the black market for anywhere between $0.50 to $1.00 per milligram, with normal doses anywhere between 80-160mg daily for heavy users.

quote]

And you know all this how...

heh heh...messin' with ya!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island