Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 07:24 PM

61 posts, read 153,668 times

Advertisements

I should be closing on a house within a month or so. I was wandering what the process is of getting the Star program. Do i have to wait or is it possible when i pay my first time property tax i can get the Star? Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 07:29 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,196,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco 612 View Post
I should be closing on a house within a month or so. I was wandering what the process is of getting the Star program. Do i have to wait or is it possible when i pay my first time property tax i can get the Star? Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.
Each County has a deadline by which to apply. In both Nassau and Suffolk Counties the annual deadline has passed.

Old 04-05-2014, 07:34 PM

61 posts, read 116,215 times
From experience, your real estate agent or lawyer, I can't remember who, but someone at closing should have the forms available for you to fill out at closing. I would contact your real estate agent and ask them about it. If they say its your responsibility, which I dont think they will, go to your town hall and ask for a form. I would do this asap, you don't want to miss out on the discount! I would recommend you have all of the information ready before closing and take it to closing if your agent doesn't already have it available for you. Good Luck! The whole closing process can be very overwhelming, but the reward it worth it!

Old 04-05-2014, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmer437 View Post
From experience, your real estate agent or lawyer, I can't remember who, but someone at closing should have the forms available for you to fill out at closing. I would contact your real estate agent and ask them about it. If they say its your responsibility, which I dont think they will, go to your town hall and ask for a form. I would do this asap, you don't want to miss out on the discount! I would recommend you have all of the information ready before closing and take it to closing if your agent doesn't already have it available for you. Good Luck! The whole closing process can be very overwhelming, but the reward it worth it!
Thanks for the info. I'll double check with my real estate agent.

Old 04-05-2014, 07:49 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,916,105 times
From what I've experienced, you have to submit in person and the previous owner's reduction will hold you over as long as you act right away. Even if it has passed this year, it will take effect the following year.

Old 04-05-2014, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
From what I've experienced, you have to submit in person and the previous owner's reduction will hold you over as long as you act right away. Even if it has passed this year, it will take effect the following year.
So every year you have to submit in person?

Old 04-05-2014, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco 612 View Post
So every year you have to submit in person?
No.

Old 04-05-2014, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmer437 View Post

While I always include the form in my closing package for my buyers, I know only a few agents who provide it without being asked.

You can also find the form online. Here's a link:
http://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/current_fo...25_fill_in.pdf

Old 04-05-2014, 09:23 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,417,948 times
Is there an income limit on this? For some reason I have been denied every year and I can't get STAR. We have no kids, I want STAR!

I make alright money but I'm not driving around in Lamborghinis or anything.

Old 04-05-2014, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Is there an income limit on this? For some reason I have been denied every year and I can't get STAR. We have no kids, I want STAR!

I make alright money but I'm not driving around in Lamborghinis or anything.
Does your combined income exceed $500,000?? If not, something is wrong somewhere
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island