Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 03:47 PM

480 posts, read 671,550 times

Advertisements

Hey all. I'm basically working a job here in Nassau because that is where I currently live and am paying rent.

In two years I am moving with my fiancé and my heart is set on Suffolk. For our budget of 200,000 for a condo it seems to be the best place to live money wise. I do have concerns for full-time work out in the Suffolk area.

Fortunately we are more than likely going to have help on a down payment of half of our $200,000 budget for a place. Other than that it is our first time moving out and being on our own. We are going to have help in the process with things that we might not understand when it comes to purchasing a condo or a small starter home.

My question is for someone like me who might work for the next two years doing work in Nassau, what are high paying jobs and business's/corporations in the Suffolk area that one can make enough to sustain a life and being comfortable? If I were to have a forever job out in Suffolk I would like to know what are the in demand jobs/careers? My college degree is film/video there are obviously no film or video production places out east.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 03:52 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,758,072 times
If your degree is in film/video (I'm guessing f/v production), why are you moving to Suffolk and hoping to find a "forever" job in Suffolk? All the good film/video production jobs are in NYC unless you want to do weddings and the like. If that's the case, LI is good for you.

As for "forever" jobs.... .look into Suffolk County Civil Service jobs and jobs with the various towns in Suffolk.

Old 03-07-2014, 03:54 PM

883 posts, read 3,730,333 times
Why couldn't you just commute to Nassau? Are you going to be that far out?

Old 03-07-2014, 03:57 PM

The following places/condos are where I really want to be living at:

Holbrook, Haupaggue, Ronkonkoma, Yaphank.

One option that we have is much closer to Western Nassau on the north shore. That is if we work in the city or close to it, it's a block from the train and is a co op and maintenance fee can be 600 to 800 a month depending on the 2 bed 1 bath unit.

Old 03-07-2014, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIQUEST View Post
The following places/condos are where I really want to be living at:

Holbrook, Haupaggue, Ronkonkoma, Yaphank.

One option that we have is much closer to Western Nassau on the north shore. That is if we work in the city or close to it, it's a block from the train and is a co op and maintenance fee can be 600 to 800 a month depending on the 2 bed 1 bath unit.
I would think you'd be much better off within commuting distance from NYC- you'll have access to more higher-paying jobs. With the huge down payment you will have, it makes sense even if you have to spend more money to get a comparable place.

Old 03-07-2014, 04:06 PM

There are literally no places here in Nassau that can compare to the beautiful three-story townhomes out east. I come from no money but we are going to have a lot of help with the down payment. I personally have very little money saved up but I am currently working and looking to step my job up so that I can make more money than I make now. By the time I get married in fall 2016 I should have about $75,000 in my savings. THAT is if I get a higher paying job than I have now.

Old 03-07-2014, 04:09 PM

Default How much did you have in savings before buying a starter home?

I'm curious for all the people who bought starter homes in the last few years how much savings you had right when you bought your first place (either a condo or town home or small home) and do you still have a good amount left/have you been able to sustain a nice balance or savings? How often do you dip into your savings in order to have to pay your mortgage or other bills?

Old 03-07-2014, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIQUEST View Post
There are literally no places here in Nassau that can compare to the beautiful three-story townhomes out east. I come from no money but we are going to have a lot of help with the down payment. I personally have very little money saved up but I am currently working and looking to step my job up so that I can make more money than I make now. By the time I get married in fall 2016 I should have about $75,000 in my savings. THAT is if I get a higher paying job than I have now.
Forget about how beautiful the townhouses are- that doesn't matter. Don't forget the number one rule of real estate- location location location! Much much better to buy a less nice place in a more desirable area. Also, with your background in film, I'm not sure how many like-minded people you will meet in the areas you're considering. You might find yourself very bored & very lonely in a beautiful townhouse. Just curious- what does your soon-to-be wife do? Would she be able to find work in Suffolk?

Old 03-07-2014, 04:19 PM

My soon-to-be wife works in the mental health field. She is currently getting her hours to get certified as an LSMW.

Old 03-07-2014, 04:21 PM

And you're definitely right about location being very important I completely agree. I am adaptable and I don't mind working a warehouse job or in the mental health field working with people with disabilities which is actually what I do now as well. I don't mind computer work. I just need to find options for the Suffolk County area in case she gets a job in let's say Brentwood etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island