Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 12:02 PM

125 posts, read 463,196 times

Advertisements

Hi all, my wife got a speeding ticket in Garden City for doing 40mph in a 25mph school zone. I'm trying to find out if anyone knows whether Garden City has a plea down program where you plead not guilty and when you go in person to court they plead you down from a points violation to basically a huge fine. Trying to decide whether it makes sense to fight this on our own or whether to hire a traffic attorney. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 12:35 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,917,388 times
Hiring an attorney can cost hundreds just the same - I've done it - he got me down to a lesser charge but of course I still had to pay him and then the court a processing fee too. It wasn't worth it considering another ticket (non-moving violation) my wife got I plead down on my own. Points don't matter much unless you're nearing 11 anyway. Plea not guilty on the ticket to get an appearance date. The purpose is usually to plea guilty to a lesser charge while there and subsequently a lesser cost. If you go in and maintain your innocence, you're going to sit in front of a judge which is yet another day in court. At least that's how it works in the Nassau court I was at - not sure why it would be different in your case. Then again, all the villages and their special police confuse me.

Old 02-25-2014, 12:37 PM

Thanks rh71 for your feedback. This is exactly what I was hoping to hear. We are not necessarily trying to fight it to get it removed, but would like to get it reduced, so the insurance impact is minimal.

Old 02-25-2014, 12:59 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,076,696 times
Try making sure you wife drives slower by schools...that will make sure you wont have an impact on your insurance.

Old 02-25-2014, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
Try making sure you wife drives slower by schools...that will make sure you wont have an impact on your insurance.
We actually have clean driving records and don't normally speed, but I had called my wife at the same time she was nearing that area to tell her about our daughter who was sick and throwing up, so she got distracted. Before making assumptions about the call, my wife has blue tooth hands free on the car. Either way we know the laws and follow them, but sometimes things happen. Thanks for your feedback.

Old 02-25-2014, 01:10 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,076,696 times
This is not about simply obeying traffic laws this is about the CHILDREN.

Your wife got upset and endangered perhaps hundreds of CHILDREN by driving 60% above the speed limit.

There is no excuse for that and no court should plea bargain with any ticket that involves a school zone.

Old 02-25-2014, 01:13 PM

321 posts, read 597,045 times
I would go to court solo to see if they will offer you a plea on the ticket. I don't have any experience with GC court so I can't say for sure but my educated guess would be that they will knock the ticket down to a parker as long as you pay them money. That is what this is about, money.

If you go to court and for some reason they will not plea it down to a non-moving violation then plea not guilty and ask for a court date at a later time. They will do this no problem.

Then get a traffic court lawyer. You don't want a speeding ticket on your license, just one will increase your insurance.

I don't think you'll need to go the lawyer route though. They should plea it down as a matter of habit. $$$

Old 02-25-2014, 01:14 PM

Thanks for your feeback GMalo!

Old 02-25-2014, 01:14 PM

321 posts, read 597,045 times
Quote:

Your wife got upset and endangered perhaps hundreds of CHILDREN by driving 60% above the speed limit.

There is no excuse for that and no court should plea bargain with any ticket that involves a school zone.
He already explained himself to you.

No one cares to hear about you judging or lecturing a third party online about speeding.

Just talk to yourself like you usually do.

Old 02-25-2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:

My wife got worried and not upset as any mother would react upon hearing about their children being sick, so before you start assuming you know all the details please keep your comments to yourself. We are not kids and know the implications of driving faster than posted in a school zone. We are not perfect everyday, but it seems like you are, so like i said before, we don't intentionally speed especially in a school zone. Perhaps we can be like you one day, in the interim if you don't have anything positive to add to this thread then keep them to yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island