Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 11:32 PM

3,955 posts, read 5,086,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaII View Post
Try reading Shadowbosses - Government Unions Control America and Rob Taxpayers Blind - by Mallory and Elizabeth Factor - explains all about governmental unions and political influence. The teachers' unions are included in this book. Keep your Pepto Bismol handy - this book will make you sick.

If Nassau County and Suffolk County each had only one superintendent, that would go a long way to lowering our taxes. All those superfluous superintendents and asst. superintendents would be laid off along with any other redundancies.
This topic is a horse ready to be beaten to death again.

The side of the story we forget, is that once funds travel outside your financed district- they become open season for federally mandated school choice transfers.

I.E. in a county-run system where money is going to fund a County superintendent of schools, kids in a failing school like Roosevelt have every right to attend a school with open seats in a non-minority majority. i.e. neighboring Garden City, as long as the parents of the home district are willing to drive their students.

The excess in administration is definitely an overprice- considering the salaries are a bit egregious. However their foundation is rooted in the continuation of a segregated society, and high results/accountability for students.

You would notice a significant difference in workflow by laying off 360 (1 supe, and 1 asst. supe) administrators on Long Island. It would come with a savings, but far from a -long way- to lowering ones taxes.

No businesses on LI = High Taxes.
The Island will never compete with NYC when it comes to attracting business, and yet NYC will never compete with LI when it comes to churning out quality K-12 students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 06:58 AM

13,513 posts, read 17,053,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakesha72 View Post
Does anyone know the starting salary for the Wyandanch School district ? Also, how can I get into a long island teachers fellow program?

The salary should be accessible on the school district website, probably in the meeting minutes or something.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:22 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,677,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
The salary should be accessible on the school district website, probably in the meeting minutes or something.
seethroughny.net

Old 09-26-2012, 02:47 PM

115 posts, read 190,720 times
Well you should thank a teacher you can write on this thread.

Old 09-26-2012, 03:19 PM

573 posts, read 1,244,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakesha72 View Post
Does anyone know the starting salary for the Wyandanch School district ? Also, how can I get into a long island teachers fellow program?
I don't think Long Island has teaching fellows programs like the NYC Teaching Fellows.

Old 09-26-2012, 03:57 PM

796 posts, read 1,758,878 times
SeeThroughNY :: Payroll-Schools

You can search for those schools and find the salaries.

At GCHS, starting salary is somewhere between 60k - 70k.

Old 09-26-2012, 04:28 PM

19,271 posts, read 17,138,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rellort View Post
Well you should thank a teacher you can write on this thread.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:51 PM

7 posts, read 19,130 times
40k start, 3% thereafter, salary caps at 125% of the median household income of district
15k student loan reduction payment (bachelors and masters) on aniversary of 3rd, 6th, 9th and 12th year of service
medical, dental, eye coverage (0% contribution years 1-5, 10% contribution years 5-10, ...cap contribution @ 25%)
50% reimbursement for required additional college credits
pension at 60

Old 09-29-2012, 04:54 AM

377 posts, read 644,996 times
Well at the rate things are going, with standardized testing companies determining our kids' curriculum, and making millions to do so, why have teachers at all? Why not just give parents a standardized testing manual to beat our kids to death with and be done with it? I am not a teacher but I will tell you that I am sick of all the teacher bashing. Education is a mess right now. Teacher morale is low. They went into the field to....wait for it....teach. And now what they are being told is that in order to secure their jobs they need to strictly teach to the test, as these tests determine their annual performance evaluations/job security.

From kindergarten, kids are broken down into categories- tier1,2,3, depending on performance. With the teachers' job security determined by standardized test scores, kids with special needs/learning disabilities in the lower level tiers are less desireable to have in class, because if they do not score as well as their peers they may skew the overall score and bring the teacher's performance evaluation down. The publishers of standardized testing manuals are making loads of money. They are the winners here. And our kids, who are now no longer individuals, but merely hard data/statistics, are the ones suffering.

Thank G-D for this teacher witch hunt though. It obviously is helping our kids. Oh, wait.....what we are left with is a NIGHTMARE!

Last edited by kdlugozi; 09-29-2012 at 05:11 AM..

Old 09-29-2012, 07:11 AM

659 posts, read 2,519,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexordo View Post
40k start, 3% thereafter, salary caps at 125% of the median household income of district
15k student loan reduction payment (bachelors and masters) on aniversary of 3rd, 6th, 9th and 12th year of service
medical, dental, eye coverage (0% contribution years 1-5, 10% contribution years 5-10, ...cap contribution @ 25%)
50% reimbursement for required additional college credits
pension at 60
I am a public school teacher on Long Island and I don't get any of that!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island