Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2012, 01:45 PM

377 posts, read 644,525 times

Advertisements

^^^ agree with the above. Great point, as that is a very big, valid issue. Home values on LI are VERY high (even post bubble) when compared to household incomes.

Last edited by kdlugozi; 10-05-2012 at 02:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 02:31 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuy1202 View Post
You're catching on to my point. It's not a property tax rate issue. It's a property-market-value compared to homeowner-income issue.

While it takes a little more effort to see the real problem it won't be until it's correctly defined that anything will be done to resolve it. People on LI seem to have been complaining about property taxes "since the year of the Flood" and where has it gotten anyone? You know what is said about doing the same thing over and over but expecting a different outcome? So, maybe, a different perspective and strategy are required, you think?

As long as the prevailing property tax rate is relatively reasonable, which it generally is for NYS, complaining about the dollar amount isn't going to make a difference with those who are in a position to make an impact; whether it's in Albany or the County Seat.

Let's assume, just for a moment, that the *real* problem is that home prices are too high for prevailing household incomes. And that's what everyone increasingly focuses on. That would change the discussion and the goal. And it would eliminate the contradiction that we want the best school districts but lower paid teachers; we want the safest communities but with lower paid police officers; etc.

I'm sorry you have no equity in your house to "monetize" when you sell it. That's an unfortunate situation and I wish you well on that.
I can see you don't understand what he meant when he said monetize. Lacking education is an unfortunate situation and I wish you well on that.

Oh, so people's homes should be CHEAPER so they won't notice as much when the taxes go up? Or so they can afford to shell out more and more taxes? That kind of reminds me how all the utility companies are trying to teach people to save electricity. Puzzling, what company wants you to use LESS of what they are selling? Answer: companies that want to charge you more and more and hope if you're using less you won't notice as much. Well at least with high property values you get a RETURN on your investment when you sell it. I do not see the advantage of having LOW property values and HIGHER AND HIGHER taxes, except to those living off my taxes. It sure isn't an advantage to a homeowner. I might as well own a home in upstate NY if I want that.

Old 10-05-2012, 02:34 PM

192 posts, read 355,003 times
@I Love LI -- I didn't get that from what LI Guy was saying. I thought he was saying "I think the reason that we're talking about teachers' salaries is because we're actually upset that our own salaries don't get us as far as it should."

Old 10-05-2012, 03:29 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,029,147 times
Quote:
You're catching on to my point. It's not a property tax rate issue. It's a property-market-value compared to homeowner-income issue.

While it takes a little more effort to see the real problem it won't be until it's correctly defined that anything will be done to resolve it. People on LI seem to have been complaining about property taxes "since the year of the Flood" and where has it gotten anyone? You know what is said about doing the same thing over and over but expecting a different outcome? So, maybe, a different perspective and strategy are required, you think?

As long as the prevailing property tax rate is relatively reasonable, which it generally is for NYS, complaining about the dollar amount isn't going to make a difference with those who are in a position to make an impact; whether it's in Albany or the County Seat.

Let's assume, just for a moment, that the *real* problem is that home prices are too high for prevailing household incomes. And that's what everyone increasingly focuses on. That would change the discussion and the goal. And it would eliminate the contradiction that we want the best school districts but lower paid teachers; we want the safest communities but with lower paid police officers; etc.

I'm sorry you have no equity in your house to "monetize" when you sell it. That's an unfortunate situation and I wish you well on that.
Well put... It touches on what many have been saying for a long time - home "values" when compared to incomes is the overriding issue. Everyone wants to pay the teachers and cops piddly, cut benefits, etc... yet they still want to sell those 30+ year old run down 4/2s for 500k+ because they won't "give it away" or worse, that's what they owe. Stuck.

Old 10-05-2012, 03:54 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdlugozi View Post
Who said teachers were the highest life form in society? Again....with you it is all or nothing. Life does not work that way.
Sarcasm. Irony. Satire. Etc. Jaysus.

I was responding to FastRudy I mean IceandFire.

Old 10-05-2012, 04:40 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,329,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I can see you don't understand what he meant when he said monetize. Lacking education is an unfortunate situation and I wish you well on that.

Oh, so people's homes should be CHEAPER so they won't notice as much when the taxes go up? Or so they can afford to shell out more and more taxes? That kind of reminds me how all the utility companies are trying to teach people to save electricity. Puzzling, what company wants you to use LESS of what they are selling? Answer: companies that want to charge you more and more and hope if you're using less you won't notice as much. Well at least with high property values you get a RETURN on your investment when you sell it. I do not see the advantage of having LOW property values and HIGHER AND HIGHER taxes, except to those living off my taxes. It sure isn't an advantage to a homeowner. I might as well own a home in upstate NY if I want that.
BBC NEWS | Business | Campaign to control house prices

Old 10-05-2012, 05:02 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
The big problem that i have with the teaching profession is tenure. It allows bad teachers to keep their jobs. It allows them to take the easy way out and not care after they get it. Now i am not saying all teachers do this, but lets get real- teachers can do anything they want pretty much except abuse/hurt a child and they will keep their jobs... And even in that case they'd most likely be suspended with pay. Teachers should be able to be fired if they suck- plain and simple. If ur a bad employee in the corporate world, u will be let go. Why is the teaching profession exempt to that?

Old 10-05-2012, 05:05 PM

5,056 posts, read 3,956,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
The big problem that i have with the teaching profession is tenure. It allows bad teachers to keep their jobs. It allows them to take the easy way out and not care after they get it. Now i am not saying all teachers do this, but lets get real- teachers can do anything they want pretty much except abuse/hurt a child and they will keep their jobs... And even in that case they'd most likely be suspended with pay. Teachers should be able to be fired if they suck- plain and simple. If ur a bad employee in the corporate world, u will be let go. Why is the teaching profession exempt to that?
Federal and state jobs tend to have due process protections and those can be very cumbersome.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:05 PM

57,294 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Well put... It touches on what many have been saying for a long time - home "values" when compared to incomes is the overriding issue. Everyone wants to pay the teachers and cops piddly, cut benefits, etc... yet they still want to sell those 30+ year old run down 4/2s for 500k+ because they won't "give it away" or worse, that's what they owe. Stuck.
Taxes as a percentage of household income is the issue, there is no entitlement to put home prices into the discussion, I honestly don't understand the argument. There are retirees that are living in $400K homes paying $10K in school taxes, do you expect them to cash in their homes and downsize to cover compensation of police and teachers. Once again the median income in Nassau and Suffolk is around 50-60K, many of those people are having a tough time covering the tax burden.

I would not be concerned about cops and teachers being paid "piddly"

Old 10-05-2012, 05:49 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
That's in England. They also don't even mention property taxes, which is what I see to be the big problem on LI, not home prices.

Do you really think such a campaign would get off the ground here ... or anywhere in the USA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island