Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 10:50 AM

122 posts, read 266,987 times

Advertisements

So if I don't provide them a reading, they have no clue on how much gas I am using? What if I gave them phony lower numbers, how do they keep track?

Or is this done to see if our numbers match?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 11:16 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,150,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heuerfan View Post
So if I don't provide them a reading, they have no clue on how much gas I am using? What if I gave them phony lower numbers, how do they keep track?

Or is this done to see if our numbers match?

Is your meter inside? If so, they will insist on at least one annual reading.
Otherwise their meter readers come by every other month.

Old 01-20-2014, 12:58 PM

88 posts, read 480,872 times
They are in the process of switching everyone to outside meters. They say it is because the outside meters are safer, but they switched me last summer, now they don't even stop to read the meter. They drive past once a month and the meter sends the reading to their computer.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:38 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,760,027 times
If your meter is inside or otherwise inaccessible to the meter reader when you're not home, it's best if you have it moved so they can access it whenever they want. You don't want to deal with the aggravation of estimated bills, especially if you use a provider other then National Grid, who still reads the meter. They will insist on periodic readings by them. To my knowledge, there is not yet a drive-by meter reader, only for the water co, and only if it's out at the street.

Old 01-20-2014, 02:24 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,881,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjes View Post
They are in the process of switching everyone to outside meters. They say it is because the outside meters are safer, but they switched me last summer, now they don't even stop to read the meter. They drive past once a month and the meter sends the reading to their computer.
Well it's not technically changing to an outside meter, it's just a new meter installed inside that can be read remotely from outside. We have to opt-in for the change (it's free) but I'm fine with providing the number every month online and I'd rather not have my meter messed with when everything's been fine. If I don't provide the number, the guy will ring my bell and I'm not letting that happen again.

Old 01-20-2014, 02:31 PM

122 posts, read 266,987 times
Yes, my meter is in the basement. I will look into having them install a new meter outside. Thanks for all the replies!

Old 01-21-2014, 04:50 PM

112 posts, read 257,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Is your meter inside? If so, they will insist on at least one annual reading.
Otherwise their meter readers come by every other month.
Actually National Grid doesn't "insist" The NYS PSC requires all electric and gas utilities throoughout the state to acquire at least 1 actual meter reading per year in order to vereify usage.

As far as drive by meter readers. You will start to see them iin the coming months. They are being rolled out on a nieghborhood by neighborhood basis. They have alreaady doing meeter reads like this in Upstate NY and in New England. Inside meter, outside meter. It doesn't matter.

Oh and as far as using a provider other than National Grid, That's just for the cost of the actual gas commodity itself. King of like finding something at Amazon for less, but you still need top pay shipping. The actual impact on your monthly bill is minimal, usually 3 to 5 percent of the cost of the actual gas itself. Oh, and those companies that supppy that gas to you through the National Grid system? Are not always cheaper.....

Caveat emptor.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:08 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,150,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcarguy View Post
Actually National Grid doesn't "insist" The NYS PSC requires all electric and gas utilities throoughout the state to acquire at least 1 actual meter reading per year in order to vereify usage.

Ok, so they "insist" because it's required. Bottom line is still: at least one reading per year.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:48 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,760,027 times
I used to be a LILCO meter reader years ago, and we were always encouraged to try and get in and read any meters that hadn't been read by us in a while, be it estimated once or several times. That meant knocking on doors repeatedly several times on the day it was scheduled to be read.

Old 01-24-2014, 06:35 PM

112 posts, read 257,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Ok, so they "insist" because it's required. Bottom line is still: at least one reading per year.
**sigh** yes you are indeed correct. The point I was trying to make was that it's a NY state mandate NOT the utility.

The majority of people think the utilities are "guilty" of certain things when it's actually the state that mandates certain 'behavior'.

But that's a topic for a whole 'nother thread..................

It's all good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island