Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 06:48 AM

88 posts, read 151,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Why can't you go all gas?
That's what I'm now considering. As other posters mentioned, the cost to lay electric in that room would be quite expensive. Since we have to pour leveler, and then tile, now would be the right time to do the job right with a hydronic system. The guy doing the work will give me a quote on Thursday when work resumes. The extension is adjacent to the basement, so our heating system is easily accessible from the room. There was a radiator in this room that was fed and returned to the one monoflow loop we have in the basement, but apparently a radiant room should be done on a separate zone. Our boiler is only 4 months old and was prepped with two future "t"s for additional zones, so hopefully this can be done without being a major financial windfall. If it is too much $$, we'll just run baseboard on the exterior walls of the room. Thanks for all the feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2013, 06:50 AM

88 posts, read 151,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sci View Post
I think the best solution is to set up a true radiant heat loop off your existing boiler. Have done electric radiant in bathrooms and they seem to work well but would have reservations about using it for the size room you describe. Electric costs here are insane to say the least and the care needed to install them correctly I think should limit there uses to small area as supplemental heat.
Hydronic radiant heat is a great source of primary heat for a room. This how ever is not a simple or small job as there are alot of variables that need to be considered. A seperate zone must be used as radiant heat uses warm water not hot water that baseboard or radiators use.
I have installed radiant heat in more than half of my house now [under tile, wood flooring and concrete basement floor] and can say without a doubt it is fantastic and well worth the investment.
Thanks! My concern is that it is "not a simple or small job" since the guy doing work for us is not a plumber by trade. His brother is a plumber for Petro and apparently he will discuss the job with his brother over Christmas, and let me know the status when work resumes on Thursday.

Old 12-25-2013, 09:03 AM

622 posts, read 857,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sci View Post
I think the best solution is to set up a true radiant heat loop off your existing boiler. Have done electric radiant in bathrooms and they seem to work well but would have reservations about using it for the size room you describe. Electric costs here are insane to say the least and the care needed to install them correctly I think should limit there uses to small area as supplemental heat.
Hydronic radiant heat is a great source of primary heat for a room. This how ever is not a simple or small job as there are alot of variables that need to be considered. A seperate zone must be used as radiant heat uses warm water not hot water that baseboard or radiators use.
I have installed radiant heat in more than half of my house now [under tile, wood flooring and concrete basement floor] and can say without a doubt it is fantastic and well worth the investment.
I could not even imagine the LIPA bills with electric heat. Hydronic is the way to go and radiant is the most comfortable type of heat available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island