Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Re-open the Central RR?
Yes, do it...turn the Lighthouse into a transit hub 8 88.89%
No thanks, I'll live with the traffic 0 0%
I'm undecided or I have no clue what this is about 1 11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 02:59 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,509,676 times

Advertisements

I was gonna post this in the "major projects" thread, but I wanted to make it a poll. In case you're unaware, the first steps have been taken to redevelop the Nassau Coliseum property including a mixed use 30 story skyscraper. You can read more about it here:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...ojects-li.html

There's no question that this is gonna create major traffic problems on the Meadowbrook Parkway and Hempstead Turnpike, which are already parking lots at rush hour. It would be very difficult to expand either and would have to be done through eminent domain - causing the destruction of many residential and commercial areas, including EAB Plaza (which RexCorp now owns). Currently, the closest railroad stations are in Garden City and Carle Place - neither of which are walking distance, although I think there are bus connections to the coliseum area.

However, there is a little known railroad easement that runs through the entirety of Nassau County, meeting up with the LIRR Ronkonkoma and Montauk Branches in Bethpage. Formerly the Central Railroad, last used way back in the early part of the 20th Century and currently occupied by nothing but electrical wires. The western end is still used once a year for the circus trains, it ends at NCC. The eastern end now connects Babylon to the main line. If we are to believe that a serious number of jobs are coming into the area, reopening the line would allow commuters in Suffolk to reach the Lighthouse very quickly and directly - as well as NCC, Hofstra, the museums, Roosevelt Field Mall/The Source and downtown Garden City. I realize a lot of people hate trains, and I personally like my car too, but I think this would go a long way to defer traffic in the area.

The big problem with doing this is that the train line would run straight through Eisenhower Park and residential areas in Levittown & Bethpage. I can't even imagine how pissed people in those areas would be...so this is probably a pipe dream unless they find some way to build subways on LI....or above-ground tunnels!

Would you support it though?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 09:51 AM

1,590 posts, read 1,668,308 times
Default Build It

Oh, the caterwauling would be intense and extreme...

How about an extra "I want to pretend like it's 1963 and who cares if there are any new jobs here" NIMBY TAX.

Old 11-19-2007, 10:05 AM

491 posts, read 828,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post
Oh, the caterwauling would be intense and extreme...

How about an extra "I want to pretend like it's 1963 and who cares if there are any new jobs here" NIMBY TAX.
All these new people are not needed in Nassau County let them stay in the city where there jobs are.
This lighthouse (if it passes) will be all nonsense crap paying retail jobs, dont need another China Town.
I think the devoloper is building the retail for HIS PEOPLE

Old 11-19-2007, 10:19 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,759,118 times
I think it's a great idea, Sean.

Old 11-19-2007, 11:18 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,144,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe L View Post
All these new people are not needed in Nassau County let them stay in the city where there jobs are.
This lighthouse (if it passes) will be all nonsense crap paying retail jobs, dont need another China Town.
I think the devoloper is building the retail for HIS PEOPLE
Quote:
Charles B. Wang (Chinese: 王嘉廉; pinyin: Wáng Jiālián) (born August 19, 1944) is the co-founder of Computer Associates International, Inc. (now CA, Inc.) and owner of the New York Islanders ice hockey team. He was born in Shanghai, but moved to Queens, NY, when he was eight years old. He attended the elite Brooklyn Technical High School in Fort Greene, Brooklyn. He earned a bachelor's degree in mathematics from Queens College in New York, and began working at Columbia University. In 1976, Wang started Computer Associates on credit cards at the age of 31. He has since authored two books to help executives master technology: Techno Vision (1994, McGraw-Hill) and Techno Vision II (1997, McGraw-Hill). Wang retired from Computer Associates in 2002.
Would his people be those in Brooklyn, Queens, Shanghai or LI?

Old 11-19-2007, 11:37 AM
VTP

200 posts, read 957,346 times
I recall traveling on this line from Penn to Babylon in the mid 1980's, on the mid-day express train -- a diesel. I recall that I was very surprised to see it the first time. It was very, very quick, I can tell you. I do not know if this track was used for any other train. Does anyone know when the LIRR stopped using this track on a daily basis?

Old 11-19-2007, 12:27 PM

There is an old ROW that was used for the Vanderbuilt Motor Parkway that extends from Queens to Uniondale and all the way east.
Its currently used by LIPA.
They could put quiet electric monorails. The MTA-LIRR should not be trusted with anything.

Old 11-19-2007, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Would his people be those in Brooklyn, Queens, Shanghai or LI?
All of the above new people who move to Long Island, drive prices up then dictate and preach how we Islanders should live.
Everthing was fine till these people came to Nassau County and started banging there fists, putting in Democrat polititions, flooding the schools
----agitator trouble makers.

People born here are being treated and ravaged like the native Indians

Old 11-19-2007, 12:56 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,509,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTP View Post
I recall traveling on this line from Penn to Babylon in the mid 1980's, on the mid-day express train -- a diesel. I recall that I was very surprised to see it the first time. It was very, very quick, I can tell you. I do not know if this track was used for any other train. Does anyone know when the LIRR stopped using this track on a daily basis?
That section of the Central RR is still there and still in use, it allows Babylon-bound trains to bypass the south shore stops on the Montauk Branch and meet up with the Main Line at Hicksville. Much quicker since there's no stations - and there haven't been any on that section for a long, long time...probably since before WWII. If you look on Google Earth or one of those satellite image programs you can easily trace the vacant section through Nassau County. An express train from Babylon to the Lighthouse in this fake scenario would probably be a 15 minute ride at most.

Joe L - The Motor Parkway RoW has been built on in most places, but it runs parallel to the Central RR one in most spots through Nassau, you might be confusing the two of them. Separately (and as usual), your racist take on a situation where it isn't warranted is just as obnoxious as it is absurd. None of us gained some mythical birthright by being born on this island, anyone of any color or background is allowed to come here and "do just fine" for themselves.

Old 11-19-2007, 04:16 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,277,348 times
I recall traveling on this line from Penn to Babylon in the mid 1980's, on the mid-day express train -- a diesel. I recall that I was very surprised to see it the first time. It was very, very quick, I can tell you. I do not know if this track was used for any other train. Does anyone know when the LIRR stopped using this track on a daily basis

This (slanted) line runs in the evening. I know because as a teacher I catch it when we have Open School Nights. It is a great train & gets me home to Babylon in fifty five minutes. I wish they would use it more often. Maybe it interferes with the regular straight line routes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island