Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 06:44 PM

6 posts, read 27,212 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. My husband and I are considering a move to Commack or Dix Hills and I think we would want to commute from the Deer Park LIRR station.

Can anyone give me a sense of what time of morning the Deer Park LIRR parking lot fills up on a weekday? I've seen some comments that although the lot is huge, it fills up on the early side. But of course, "early" means different things to different people. If I get to the Deer Park LIRR station for a 7:03am or 7:16am train, how good are my chances of getting a parking spot? Also, will I get a seat on the train?

I currently go out of the Huntington LIRR so I'm used to the long commute but I always get a parking spot and a seat. I don't think I could be dealt with at the office if I have to stand the whole way to Penn each morning...

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 06:58 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,729,541 times
I'm not sure what stop Deer Park is on the branch but I would think during rush hour if you're not getting on at the 1st or 2nd stop, you're not going to get a seat.

When I first moved out here, I would take the train from Wyandanch and I would never get a seat in the AM. PM was hit or miss.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:01 PM

791 posts, read 1,623,291 times
Deer Park is the 4th stop in, and it's on the Ronkonkoma line, so I think getting a seat will be hit or miss (leaning towards miss, frankly). That line is crowded pretty much always, since Ronkonkoma's the furthest east you can go and still have a reasonable schedule (so lots of folks who live further east on other lines will take the extra 20-30 minutes to drive to Ronkonkoma so you don't need to wait 2.5 hours between trains).

I've never commuted from the Deer Park stop particularly, so I don't know about the parking situation.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:57 PM

My brain just put two and two together that Deer Park is the same train line as Farmingdale. I used to live in Farmingdale for about a year, and commuted five days a week from that station. I always got a seat on the 7:06 out of Farmingdale, so that's a good sign, right?

Old 10-09-2013, 10:12 PM

246 posts, read 430,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda1218 View Post
My brain just put two and two together that Deer Park is the same train line as Farmingdale. I used to live in Farmingdale for about a year, and commuted five days a week from that station. I always got a seat on the 7:06 out of Farmingdale, so that's a good sign, right?

A very good sign. I used to take a later train than that out of Deer Park and never had a problem finding a parking spot or a seat. I think you'll be fine.

Old 10-10-2013, 05:59 AM

3,526 posts, read 5,705,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
I'm not sure what stop Deer Park is on the branch but I would think during rush hour if you're not getting on at the 1st or 2nd stop, you're not going to get a seat.

When I first moved out here, I would take the train from Wyandanch and I would never get a seat in the AM. PM was hit or miss.
How could you use Wyandanch and not know where Deer Park is? Its the same line. Just about every train stopping at Wyandanch either stopped at DP before or after yours, depending on direction.

Old 10-10-2013, 06:01 AM

3,526 posts, read 5,705,294 times
Quote:
Hi everyone. My husband and I are considering a move to Commack or Dix Hills and I think we would want to commute from the Deer Park LIRR station.

Can anyone give me a sense of what time of morning the Deer Park LIRR parking lot fills up on a weekday? I've seen some comments that although the lot is huge, it fills up on the early side. But of course, "early" means different things to different people. If I get to the Deer Park LIRR station for a 7:03am or 7:16am train, how good are my chances of getting a parking spot? Also, will I get a seat on the train?

I currently go out of the Huntington LIRR so I'm used to the long commute but I always get a parking spot and a seat. I don't think I could be dealt with at the office if I have to stand the whole way to Penn each morning...

Thank you!
Quote:
Not always true because there are trains that start at Farmingdale in the AM rush.

7:03 you'll get a seat, not the best choice seats, but a seat. Better off if you can catch the 6:55

Old 10-10-2013, 06:22 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,670,248 times
I used to go from Wyandanch, on the 5:49 train. Last stop before it went express to Jamaica, NEVER got a seat. Now I go from Lindenhurst, at 5:46, and always get a seat.

As for Farmingdale, it may have been a Farmingdale originating train.

Old 10-10-2013, 06:58 AM

I'm pretty sure the Farmingdale one I took wasn't originating in Farmingdale. There were always plenty of people on the train already when I got on. But it may have only been one or two stops beforehand.

Maybe I'll do a practice run one morning before we commit to buying a place. I'll just go, park, and peek into the train! As an anti-morning person, I don't think I would be too pleased regularly having to take a train that departs in the 5s or the 6s.

Old 10-10-2013, 07:09 AM

863 posts, read 2,108,432 times
Ok as someone that lives in Deer Park I will answer your question. The lot is extra large and you will get a spot no matter what time you arrive just know choice spots are gone early since people from different towns use that station. Like I said large lot so you will have to walk but at your time you will be perfectly fine and will get a good parking spot.

You will also get a seat on the train. I am not sure what choice seats are but you will not have to worry about seats. The 7:03 out of Deer Park makes one more stop at Wyndance before Pen. The following train makes a few stops before Jamaica then Pen. So all in all you would be perfectly fine getting a spot and a seat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island