Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 08:17 PM

246 posts, read 470,473 times

Advertisements

We're buying a 11.544kW system w/ Trinity. Our yearly bill is $2700. (which will only rise)

The cost is: $45760

less PSEG rebate of $1140
less NY state rebate $5000 (apparently only NY has this extra $5K!)
less 30% fed tax credit $13728

total out of pocket is $25892.

25 yr warranty on panels and inverters.
Homeowners goes up $50/yr
There is a 15 year exemption on assessment for solar on property tax assessment in NY.

We pulled the trigger on this after looking into the Town of Huntingtons program, which IS indeed not transparent. They bid to a solar company and they call the shots, pushing leasing.

We also looked into Solar City but they were pushing leases. Read the lease and the bottom line was that although my monthly payment would be a bit lower, the total cost over the term of the lease would be that I spent $55000. I prefer owning to leasing, especially if the funds are available.

Solar leasing is not a sham. Our friends just signed up with Vivint, no money down solar. It's what works for them.

Read Solar lease does it make sense for residential applications ? Its no different than buying or leasing a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 11:24 AM

1,580 posts, read 1,988,287 times
My friend has a 3200 sq ft home. She's renting her panels. She has to pay the company $270/month for 10 years for the panels. She has gas cooking/heating/dryer. No pool heater. How she thinks renting the panels for $270/month saves her $ is beyond me. She won't own them at the end of the 10 years. Plus, any electric she produces goes back to the panel company.

Old 09-11-2015, 02:20 AM

1 posts, read 1,998 times
I am in the town of Huntington as well and considering Solar. How did you decide on Trinity to purchase your panels and which type of panels/inverters did you buy?

It looks like if you have the funds, purchasing is a better option than leasing due in part to a large tax credit.

How are you able to track that your panels are working? Do you have some type of application? Do you still have a contract with national grid or PSEG in case you are not generating enough electricity?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiberiusP View Post
We're buying a 11.544kW system w/ Trinity. Our yearly bill is $2700. (which will only rise)

The cost is: $45760

less PSEG rebate of $1140
less NY state rebate $5000 (apparently only NY has this extra $5K!)
less 30% fed tax credit $13728

total out of pocket is $25892.

25 yr warranty on panels and inverters.
Homeowners goes up $50/yr
There is a 15 year exemption on assessment for solar on property tax assessment in NY.

We pulled the trigger on this after looking into the Town of Huntingtons program, which IS indeed not transparent. They bid to a solar company and they call the shots, pushing leasing.

We also looked into Solar City but they were pushing leases. Read the lease and the bottom line was that although my monthly payment would be a bit lower, the total cost over the term of the lease would be that I spent $55000. I prefer owning to leasing, especially if the funds are available.

Solar leasing is not a sham. Our friends just signed up with Vivint, no money down solar. It's what works for them.

Read Solar lease does it make sense for residential applications ? Its no different than buying or leasing a car.

Old 09-15-2015, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gqinxs View Post
How did you decide on Trinity to purchase your panels and which type of panels/inverters did you buy?

It looks like if you have the funds, purchasing is a better option than leasing due in part to a large tax credit.

How are you able to track that your panels are working? Do you have some type of application? Do you still have a contract with national grid or PSEG in case you are not generating enough electricity?

Thanks
Decided on Trinity after discussing it with Huntington Solars outfit, which was looking to PUSH leases and also SOLAR CITY, looking to push leases. Trinity gave unbiased options.

Don't know about tracking if they are working/applications. The usage tells all. My parents have 2 homes both with solar for over a decade. The bill says whats being produced and whats being banked.

You don't contract w LIPA/PSEG. You are tried to the grid. If you are not making energy, you are buying it from PSEG as you do now. But if you're generating for a week straight and you're not home, you're building a credit from PSEG to be used later when you need it.

from PSEGs site

[SIZE=3]Net meeting measures the difference between the electricity you buy from your utility and the electricity you produce with your solar system. Your net meter keeps track of this difference automatically. Under net metering, excess electricity produced by your solar electric system is delivered back into the utility grid, effectively spinning your meter backwards. Your meter spins forward when your solar system does not produce all of the electricity you are currently consuming.
[/SIZE]

Old 09-16-2015, 05:58 AM

538 posts, read 1,007,269 times
26K out of pocket?? Wow, that's steep. So at the end of the month, is there any type of charge/bill from PSEG or Trinity or whoever? Or is that one bill totally eliminated from your monthly bills?

Old 09-16-2015, 07:59 AM

Im still in the process of installing. That said, my colleague installed in May.

His usual monthly bill was no less than $500 on average, higher in the summer. His last 2 bills were about $12 dollars, with the central air and pool heater running for 2 months.

$26 K seems steep but our yearly avg is $2600. Assuming PSEG rates NEVER changed, the payback is 10 years. Made sense for us.

Old 09-16-2015, 03:25 PM

20,927 posts, read 28,397,897 times
I was told by a neighbor of mine who sells solar panels that in my area the homes are too old and the rafters would not hold solar panels and that his company is not allowed to put them up, meanwhile I have a house at the end of my block with them. Makes no sense because I have seen other homes in the area with them. BTW I am south of East Islip apple bees if that helps. Hubby wants to get them, but I think they look ugly. But then again what's more important? Ugly or saving money? Saving money I guess.

Old 09-16-2015, 09:19 PM

What company does he work for?

Old 09-17-2015, 08:24 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,405,066 times
The panels are extremely light. He has no clue what he is talking about.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:54 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,986,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
The panels are extremely light. He has no clue what he is talking about.
Yeah.. it's probably a house in dire need of a new roof...........nothing to do with the actual solar array.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island