Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2013, 01:27 PM

157 posts, read 285,079 times

Advertisements

Since the past month or so I’ve been researching neighborhoods in Long Island to move to with my family and came upon some alarming statistics concerning cancer. Apparently Long Island unlike the rest of NYC doesn’t get its water from pristine reservoirs upstate but rather LIers drink their own groundwater that’s packed with leeched pharmaceutics and hormones from birth control pills and carcinogenic pesticides from farms, lawns, etc.

I looked at one neighborhood we were considering buying in (either Jericho or Plainview) and read their government mandated distribution on their water supply and there was special mentioned of elevated levels of nitrates and pesticides but still below government threshold levels but they advise you if you have an infant younger than 6 months not to drink or bathe in it.

The more I read into it the more I think that the good schools in LI are not worth the increased cancer risk, especially considering there’s no filtration system that removes the harmful compounds dissolved in the water despite what water filtration salesman tell you about their costly activated-charcoal reverse-osmosis systems.

In a color-coded cancer map that goes from dark red to dark blue, Suffolk falls in the dark red, Nassau in Orange-ish, and my current hometown of Queens in the best ranking of dark blue.

On top of the PITA commute to NYC, $10k+ property tax, worrying about septic tanks and flood zones given our new climate patterns, I say the straw that’s breaking the camel’s back is LI’s cancer situation. Anyone else consider these factors when moving there?

Here's the color coded cancer table I'm referring to:

Map Data Table - State Cancer Profiles
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 01:32 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,064,367 times
Stop worrying.....you could get hit by a car just as easy.

So who's dropping th birth control pills into our drinking water?

Old 07-31-2013, 01:33 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,064,367 times
Did you hear there are vortexes on Long Island too?

Old 07-31-2013, 01:38 PM

520 posts, read 1,652,868 times
I don't wash my feet. Does that help!?

Old 07-31-2013, 01:44 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,995,876 times
All the condos have wrecked the groundwater stay away you will live longer.

Old 07-31-2013, 01:44 PM

4,697 posts, read 8,757,544 times
Odd that Richmond County (Staten Island) falls in the second highest interval and most of Westchester gets its water from the same reservoirs as NYC yet it ranks higher on the list than Brooklyn/BronxQueens.

Old 07-31-2013, 01:46 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,952,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
Stop worrying.....you could get hit by a car just as easy.

So who's dropping th birth control pills into our drinking water?
Birth control is the least of the problems

New Effort to Ban Three Chemicals Used on Long Island | The East Hampton Star

Old 07-31-2013, 01:46 PM

764 posts, read 1,553,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoracer9 View Post
All the condos have wrecked the groundwater stay away you will live longer.
explain to me how condos have wrecked the water? Most condo developments have sewers vs most houses that have cesspools and septic tanks

Old 07-31-2013, 01:49 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,663,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shera11375 View Post
In a color-coded cancer map that goes from dark red to dark blue, Suffolk falls in the dark red, Nassau in Orange-ish, and my current hometown of Queens in the best ranking of dark blue.

On top of the PITA commute to NYC, $10k+ property tax, worrying about septic tanks and flood zones given our new climate patterns, I say the straw that’s breaking the camel’s back is LI’s cancer situation. Anyone else consider these factors when moving there?

Here's the color coded cancer table I'm referring to:

Map Data Table - State Cancer Profiles
Recognize the incidence difference between Nassau and Queens is only about 10% and can easily be explained by heightened awareness of health, income and access to diagnostics. Also this map may look completely different 10 years from now when more data is taken into account. Creating a map like this at a single point in time is wrong.

Old 07-31-2013, 01:53 PM

764 posts, read 1,553,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrlongisland View Post
Recognize the incidence difference between Nassqau and Queens is only about 10% and can easily be explained by heightened awareness of health, income and access to diagnostics. Also this map may look completely different 10 years from now when more data is taken into account. Creating a map like this at a single point in time is wrong.

You are right. it could be that people I Nassau and Suffolk counties have better access to health care then the rest of the state. So they get screened more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island