Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 10:32 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,433,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by corky101 View Post
Can one report as anonymous?
Also, if its a family renting the house and has a renter in the basement, then a permit is required, right? But if its just one family, then it's okay, no permit needed? Not sure how the law works.
In most cases, basements are not allowed to be legally rented. I would be very wary of any basement apartments. Most do not meet legal standards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 10:34 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,433,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue53 View Post
Ha. Careful Corky or you may be getting a visit from a town inspector. I am sure they could find something that isn't to code.
LOL. I got them on speed dial and inspectors don't visit me. However, they have called me to update me on my complaints when I make them. (Fortunately, I haven't had to make one in a long time.)

Old 04-07-2013, 11:34 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,355,936 times
This is Long Island's achilles heel. The home prices and especially taxes are so high few are choosing to buy homes. So what's going is that landlords buy them and then put alot of people in there, and charging say $500-$700 a person and profiting nicely. Elected officials who are paid off by the landlords (Pius?), companies that hire illegal workers (landscapers, contractors), or Universities (SUNY Officials) will not be motivated to do anything about it. Once it starts happening the neighborhood's destiny is usually sealed, as others get fed up with the declining QOL (loud parties, garbage, intoxication,etc) and sell to anyone, thus a vicious cycle. Sad to see this happening in so many communities. I know it's very difficult to rent on LI, and I dont see a problem with renting an apartment to a single person or even a couple. It's when one puts many into a single family home, renting out rooms that's what makes it an illegal rooming house or "flophouse" SUNY Stony Brook hasn't exactly been a "good neighbor" and has practically built a "city" in an area that can't support it, you can see how it's caused traffic and overcrowding in neighboring areas. They also crowd up the LIRR too with students hogging up seats with their laptops, luggage and bikes. Sad how that whole area has become citified.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:57 AM

186 posts, read 529,199 times

Sorry no RATS allowed

Old 04-08-2013, 10:33 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,355,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garvey103 View Post

Sorry no RATS allowed
No snitching allowed. It's the LI way now. The gangs own it all now.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:42 PM

37 posts, read 53,512 times
is the tenants bothering you, or are you just not happy the way the place looks. always remember the owner can get a permit and then put in section 8 people. so you should decide how much a problem this is. if I was the landlord and someone reported me i would get the permit, and then move in section 8 people, the higher rents pay for any damage. then you will have not fixed the problem. you could always just move, or talk to the landlord an see if he will cleanup the problem. it is easier to find a solution than to create a bigger problem.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:06 AM

8 posts, read 24,097 times
Hi,

I live in a house with 3 bedrooms. I was there with 2 of my friends and we had a year lease that was over in July, which is when my roommates moved out because they went to the city.

At that time, I had a discussion with my landlord and we agreed that I stay and pay my share of the rent month-to-month, while we look for other people to fill the house (two rooms upstairs). There are also two separate units downstairs, each with their own tenants. When we talked he told me he will only rent to graduate students and will give me proper time to meet them before they move in. Now, he's not doing that, he brings people inside the unit I live in without giving me notice. Also, he's saying that someone will be moving in like 2 weeks, and I have not met that person yet. He's saying "You have no rights, I own the house and I can do what I want."

I checked the Brookhaven's website, and there is no rental permit on file. Can the landlord rent the other rooms now? or does he have to get a permit first? How does it affect me that he doesn't have a permit? How does it affect the people living int the downstairs unit?

Also, how can I check if the additions downstairs are legal, have proper building permits, and are up to code? I used to live in a different city/state and that town had a website with all the details for each parcel regarding zoning, permits, etc... Does Suffolk/Brookhaven have a site like that?

Thanks a lot,

Old 10-16-2014, 03:13 PM

1 posts, read 990 times
What I don't understand is why neighbors would report a Rental if the property is occupied by One Family, kept manicured and the house clean. The Homeowner is paying the property taxes which justifies the children attending the school in that district also. This "whistle-blowing" allows for people to look for trouble and cause more harm than good to the Homeowner and the Family in need of a rental. What ever happened to humanity in community? If the Renters don't take care of the property then the responsibility lies on the Owner & I doubt if any Landlord wants their home trashed. It takes just as long to Evict whether it is legal or not. These renters VOTE just like anyone else. Wake up! Brookhaven town is driving people OFF the island with their property Taxes, Permits, etc. What do they actually do for us? Have you looked at the Roads lately? What ever happened to humanity in community? I say to those of you who have nothing else to do than cause misery to others....make a wish that you are NEVER down & out!

Old 10-16-2014, 06:24 PM

167 posts, read 307,269 times
Stonybrook/Setuaket area is known to have apartments for nearby students. That's one if the downfalls of living there. You get 3V education though...

Old 04-03-2018, 01:40 AM

4 posts, read 2,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Someone else's shoes View Post
What I don't understand is why neighbors would report a Rental if the property is occupied by One Family, kept manicured and the house clean. The Homeowner is paying the property taxes which justifies the children attending the school in that district also. This "whistle-blowing" allows for people to look for trouble and cause more harm than good to the Homeowner and the Family in need of a rental. What ever happened to humanity in community? If the Renters don't take care of the property then the responsibility lies on the Owner & I doubt if any Landlord wants their home trashed. It takes just as long to Evict whether it is legal or not. These renters VOTE just like anyone else. Wake up! Brookhaven town is driving people OFF the island with their property Taxes, Permits, etc. What do they actually do for us? Have you looked at the Roads lately? What ever happened to humanity in community? I say to those of you who have nothing else to do than cause misery to others....make a wish that you are NEVER down & out!
You're ABSOLUTELY correct!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island